SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting out of SF FLORIDA we hope.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting out of SF FLORIDA we hope. Login/Join 
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Yes Delaware Maryland me wife went up to look two months ago,
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Delaware is considered one of the best states to retire in, due to its reasonable affordability and good scores for residents' well-being and weather.

That could be worth a look.

They have the DART public transit system, with public transit access to NYC with a 2-3 hour train ride.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Posts: 2443 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberphobia:
no lake effect snow for us,

Understood. It is an area where snow is not measured in inches, it's measured in feet. Big Grin

Posts: 20676 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It’s one of the better areas on Long Island. Demographics are strongly conservative. From entertainment to personal expenses, It if also a very expensive place to live. I needn’t tell you how prohibitive their firearms laws remain..

Posts: 13865 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Sort of the same flavor as eastern LI, but with a slightly warmer climate, and even less of a rat race, take a look at the eastern shore of MD, VA, and DE, AKA the "Delmarva" peninsula. Fairly rural (if you stay away from the beach towns), and with lower cost of living and a much better tax profile than NY. Mostly farm country with sparsely scattered towns and small cities. Not far from major population areas with the associated medical facilities should that be a consideration as we age, or major airports should travel become desired.

A lot of folks I've known who got tired of the DC asylum have moved to that area, Annapolis/Kent Island, Easton, Cambridge mostly, but some even closer to Ocean City and the other beaches, and they all seem pretty happy with their choices.

Posts: 6826 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived on LI for a year. My observation:

Expensive
Expensive
Expensive

I could not get back to Central Florida fast enough… and I did not mention the Far Left political attitude prevalent in the population!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2163 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.
Just remember it snows up there Wink

I always wanted some day to retire, sell the house and move from New Jersey to Florida so I could work for that big entertainment company in central Florida.

In 1999 at the age of 33 we did it, although I did not quite retire then, however as of right now I am kind retired.

After living in central Florida for several years my wife and I decided we weren't staying in Florida for retirement. Back in 2006 while visiting family in Tennessee we purchased land to some day build a house.
One of the big things that helped us make that decision, congestion on the roads and the rapid growth.

So far the population in the county we live in went from about 450,000 people in 1999 when we moved here to over 800,000 in 2023, and it just keeps growing.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2644 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I am puzzled how the two options for OP, and many somehow, is FL or NY. The good stuff is in between, especially if you remove what looks like a requirement to use the word "coast".

However in this case it seems like his wife is set on this, so there you go.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12747 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
The good stuff is in between, especially if you remove what looks like a requirement to use the word "coast".

Yep.

Especially since one of the OP's primary goals of moving is reportedly a desire to avoid hurricanes.

The entire eastern seaboard is at risk of hurricanes and tropical storms... Long Island has been affected by 11 hurricanes and tropical storms in just the last 4 years.

Posts: 33158 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Delaware is considered one of the best states to retire in, due to its reasonable affordability and good scores for residents' well-being and weather.

Link Best and Worst States for Retirement

THIS

This is where my own parents are talking about downsizing and moving to.

OP: you should check out PA too. Outside the Democrat shithole that is Philly, the vast majority of the state is open space and conservative. We have some of the best CCW laws in the entire country too, there's literally 3 places I cannot carry: military/federal installations, elementary schools and court houses. None of the silliness like I saw in VA recently with a big sign on the ABC liquor store telling people that they can't CCW there.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Posts: 2443 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Just looked at Providence RI woow now that looked promising

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife of 34 years is a New Yorker she suggested we move up there, both over 70 retired with a limited income.

You seem to have somewhat conflicting goals here...

My college room mate was from Long Island. It's very nice.... but very expensive. Still, happy wife, happy life.

Good luck!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24686 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
I understand the draw of family but even my late wife did not want to retire anywhere near NYC, where she grew up. The compromise was we would live no further south than Albemarle County, Va. The rationale was she could visit family in NY and NJ but she had no desire to live near family. Ditto for my best friend who passed three weeks ago; family on Long Island but no desire to live in NY. He chose to live in TN. After my wife passed, I decided that retiring in the Low Country of SC was best for me. Decades ago, I lived in Florida and did not like it. I read recently that many retirees leaving Florida are settling in various parts of SC.

Posts: 231 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I think if it were me I'd rent an apartment or something in Calverton for a year or so before I put down the big bucks for a fulltime home, just to hopefully avoid making a mistake and regretting.

You have time, sell your Florida place, bank the money.

Don't let anyone rush you.

If the area makes you happy then go for it.

Just take a little time before the big commitment.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 12008 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Rhode Island--you have Amtrack to ride into Boston or NYC. Providence/Stougton line is the commuter rail to Boston.
Connecticut--Commuter rail is Metro North --goes to New Haven from Grand Central, cross platform to Ride Shoreline East as far as New London. Amtrack runs from CT to Penn Station (Madison Square Garden)
E mail for more info--I can direct you to specific towns that have a commuter stop that will meet your criteria.

Posts: 2378 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
To each their own, yes, but I’d give serous thought before choosing NY.

Sorry if I didn’t see all the details, were you both in NY earlier? Living? What about close relatives, maybe kids?

Maybe a different part of FL. Another option is to sell any house, move into a lower maintenance(and worry) property. This could be in FL, or elsewhere. My son was on the East side of FL when a hurricane threatened, newer construction, apartment. He was about 3 miles inland, building rated to a fair bit of storm resistance.

Not saying anyone in particular, but over the years I’ve seen a few almost on autopilot, move to FL in retirement. I’ve seen about 5 that I remember, move back North. This is in my extended relatives circle.

The only State I have tucked in my back pocket is SD, but no plans to move anywhere. The closest part of FL that suits me is the panhandle, towards Apalachicola area.

Yes, to each their own when it comes to liking an area.

Posts: 6443 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Sir you are the best thanks for giving me the info we might need no politics and other non essential info. I will email you shortly.

quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Rhode Island--you have Amtrack to ride into Boston or NYC. Providence/Stougton line is the commuter rail to Boston.
Connecticut--Commuter rail is Metro North --goes to New Haven from Grand Central, cross platform to Ride Shoreline East as far as New London. Amtrack runs from CT to Penn Station (Madison Square Garden)
E mail for more info--I can direct you to specific towns that have a commuter stop that will meet your criteria.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
To each their own, yes, but I’d give serous thought before choosing NY.

Sorry if I didn’t see all the details, were you both in NY earlier? Living? What about close relatives, maybe kids?

Maybe a different part of FL. Another option is to sell any house, move into a lower maintenance(and worry) property. This could be in FL, or elsewhere. My son was on the East side of FL when a hurricane threatened, newer construction, apartment. He was about 3 miles inland, building rated to a fair bit of storm resistance.

Not saying anyone in particular, but over the years I’ve seen a few almost on autopilot, move to FL in retirement. I’ve seen about 5 that I remember, move back North. This is in my extended relatives circle.

The only State I have tucked in my back pocket is SD, but no plans to move anywhere. The closest part of FL that suits me is the panhandle, towards Apalachicola area.

Yes, to each their own when it comes to liking an area.
Big Grin

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Yes we thought of that thanks Cool
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I think if it were me I'd rent an apartment or something in Calverton for a year or so before I put down the big bucks for a fulltime home, just to hopefully avoid making a mistake and regretting.

You have time, sell your Florida place, bank the money.

Don't let anyone rush you.

If the area makes you happy then go for it.

Just take a little time before the big commitment.

Best wishes to you.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
I understand the draw of family but even my late wife did not want to retire anywhere near NYC, where she grew up. The compromise was we would live no further south than Albemarle County, Va. The rationale was she could visit family in NY and NJ but she had no desire to live near family. Ditto for my best friend who passed three weeks ago; family on Long Island but no desire to live in NY. He chose to live in TN. After my wife passed, I decided that retiring in the Low Country of SC was best for me. Decades ago, I lived in Florida and did not like it. I read recently that many retirees leaving Florida are settling in various parts of SC.
Cool

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
With a house & land near Ft Meyers, bought 20+ years ago, you have good equity to work with. Even if the market cooled a tad, should still be hot.

I like the idea of checking things out some before buying, new location. As we come into Fall & cooler temps, should be easy finding rentals North a bit.

Posts: 6443 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post