SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting out of SF FLORIDA we hope.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting out of SF FLORIDA we hope. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think the idea to move has merit. Another question to ask yourself is

One or the other will likely die first. Where do he/she want to be with what assets when that happens

Unless you are lucky and both go together

Posts: 1487 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
well im going back to the UK if the wife goes first.
The wife I will have to ask her. Big Grin

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Posts: 2443 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Yes I will but we are going to live in a condo condo we hope.

quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
My first thought was that you will be trading shoveling snow for mowing. With bad knees I would think ice would be a real risk to your hips with a slip and fall.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Posts: 2443 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
The way things are going everything is out; now we are looking at the dread St Augustine area again!!!!

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Well, instead of moving 5 States away, maybe just move to the condo you mention, lower upkeep.

You should have some property equity to work with.

Posts: 6443 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you should re-read your own tagline.

Sell your property, you are too old for it. Move to a smaller condo, somewhere in Florida where the weather isn’t a massive concern compared to up North.

For the week or two every five years that there is a hurricane, take a roadtrip to Tennessee and go golfing.

Problem. Solved.

Posts: 2349 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
reloader, solid logic!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39334 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
For the week or two every five years that there is a hurricane, take a roadtrip to Tennessee and go golfing.

Problem. Solved.

It's not a week or two if you take a direct hit. It's a massive disruption of life for at least a month if not a year. I still have crap from Ian I'm dealing with two years later and I'm not alone in that.

I can understand wanting to move away from that in one's later life stage.

Posts: 11720 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberphobia:
The way things are going everything is out; now we are looking at the dread St Augustine area again!!!!

CP- I am sorry if I missed it in the thread, but have you looked at Asheville, NC? It may have the level of culture you are seeking.

EDIT: Have you looked at Knoxville, TN? It is a university town and it also may have the level of cultural activities you seek. I have visited there several times and always leave with a favorable impression.

Posts: 8924 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Problem. Solved.

It's not a week or two if you take a direct hit. It's a massive disruption of life for at least a month if not a year. I still have crap from Ian I'm dealing with two years later and I'm not alone in that.

I’ve lived on the water, in Miami, since before Andrew.

In a condo, somewhere inland, it’s a week tops unless it’s a Category 6 monster that wipes out half of Florida.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Direct hits from Charley, Ivan, and Ian. Ivan put 3 feet of storm surge in our house on Grand Cayman that was near the Blow Holes and 25' above sea level. It actually lifted the neighbors' house, moved it 400', and left in our driveway.

For Charley and Ian, our house is 15 miles from the Gulf and my Dad's is 20. I guess that's not far enough inland for a week or two of disruption. They just knocked down one of the hotels in Punta Gorda that was damaged from Ian two weeks ago. It took a year to get back to having services in our sanctuary at our church rather than the multi-use building we were forced to use. We had to reconfigure the chairs and tables three times a week to make that happen.

One of my Dad's doctors moved three times in a year because the original building was destroyed and usable space was at a premium.

Our largest and newest library remains closed.

I stand by my month to a year major disruption to life statement.

Those were just the direct hits by major hurricanes. Off the top of my head, Andrew, Francis, Jeane, Ivan (it wasn't as strong when it hit us in Florida), Irma, Wilma, Matthew also have affected us in various ways. For example, I think it was Wilma that tore up the Keys canceled or camping trip at Bahia Honda.

I guess you could live in Orlando. I don't see any benefit of living in a condo there vs a condo in Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, etc.

Posts: 11720 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the difference is MD building codes, but here the major issue was roofing post-hurricanes (and car damage), but in a condo that is a minor issue.

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Problem. Solved.

Confused
Still!!!!
we had our repairs completed earlier this year 3rd rate repairs I might add by supposed licensed contractors.
I feel for you sir.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
I forgot our House Insurance went UP UP UP. We were lucky to get the house insurance renewed!!

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberphobia:
quote:
quote:

Problem. Solved.

Confused
Still!!!!
we had our repairs completed earlier this year 3rd rate repairs I might add by supposed licensed contractors.
I feel for you sir.

I appreciate it. My family is in a good place, but there’s folks we know and especially our church that are still affected by the storm that we are trying to help.

I understand why you would want to move. It’s easy to say just leave for a week or two. We did that for Irma. Three or four days before hand, we loaded up the truck, hitched up the 5th wheel, and spent 20 hours on the road getting to a campground in Georgia. Stations were out of fuel on the way, but I had enough 5 gallon jugs of fuel to get us there. Once there, we had to leave because the storm was heading right for the campground with 80mph winds. We headed to a campground in Mobile and actually bumped into people we knew from home staying in a WalMart parking lot. It was a lot of fun the first week being away from home wondering if we had a home to go back to. Definitely a relief to get a call from friends saying our home was OK.

For Ian, we decided to stay. We got a hotel room near the airport in Fort Meyers. The storm started moving a bit faster and I was worried we’d the 75 and 41 bridges would be closed and we’d be cut off from the hotel so we booked a room at another hotel for the night before. They were still saying it was going to Tampa. We spent the night at the one hotel and went to the next hotel in the morning while the winds were only 40mph. We got to the next hotel and camped out in the lobby for 4 hours until our room was ready. That went well until they lost power and water at 3am. Couldn’t flush the toilets and people were allowing their dogs to shit and piss in the hallways. We left before the rest of the zombie horde woke up and went to a Love’s truck stop near Moore Haven.

We looked at leaving years ago. My brother did and got a nice house on 10 acres in TN with a beautiful view of the Smoky Mountains. We stayed because we didn’t want to uproot our three kids and my parents were here. Looking back, the kids are thriving and my parents, now just my Dad, really did/do need our help, but every summer when we leave MI we ask ourselves, “Why are we going back?”.

That’s my long winded way of saying I understand why you’d want to look elsewhere. Sometimes, the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
We stayed in the house for WILMA,IRMA AND IAN, IRMA did no damage BUT the Tornado that went up SR 31 damaged the house, no power for 7 days... me the wife and out old Lab Cocoa
IAN I was watching my 60 foot mature pine trees SNAP in half and the tops dissapear
the well system disappeared and most of the shingles,
we had no usable water for a week just an 1 inch pipe out of the ground with artisan water pressure, but 5 gallon drinking water no power for 8 days only one room with AC the bedroom portable unit,I do have a genny for fridge and freezer but fuel was running out drove to Clewiston more than once for gas and food.
I have NEVER seen water up by us until IAN I though Downtown Ft Myers is boll oxed and it was place was totaled.
SO yes we are out of here.
NEVER going through this again we hope.
Thank you for the comment sir.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

posted Hide Post
Not far from Ft. Myers, and the community is ready for storms.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/05...-babcock-ranch-solar

Posts: 2814 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the way things are reported in the UK, you may need to rethink that. Not going much better here

Posts: 1487 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Anyone up on Whidbey Island WA?
Oak Harbor area.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whidbey Island WA

So much for this being a move to get your wife to family. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12747 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post