SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting out of SF FLORIDA we hope.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting out of SF FLORIDA we hope. Login/Join 
Picture of cyberphobia
posted
Finally got the house and land on the market been here in Ft Myers for 24 years minus our 5 years in Seattle.
We looked at places in Washington State but the prices over there are rediculas in the ares looked at.
My wife of 34 years is a New Yorker she suggested we move up there, both over 70 retired with a limited income.
After long discussions we found CALVERTON LONG ISLAND.
Part from the gun laws up there yes I have looked into them so plz no comments about it.....
Any members here live on that part of Long Island? or Long Island,
Read this and that about LI now I would like some true's about the place.
Mant Thanks
If you would like to email me please do.
Many Thanks.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Posts: 2443 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Even aside from just gun laws, I'm unsure why you would want to move into such an oppressive political landscape with such a high tax burden.

Especially considering the cost of living would be significantly higher in Long Island than even South Florida as well, which is a major concern with your "limited income". A quick Google found a cost of living comparison tool, which if accurate, suggests that the cost of living in Long Island would be approximately 30% higher than the Cape Coral-Fort Meyers area, and around 47% higher than the national average.

Most retired folks move elsewhere in order to lessen their taxes and cost of living, not greatly increase them.

Why is your wife wanting to move to NY? To be closer to family? Or just out of nostalgia for her younger years? The former can be a valid reason, but still has to be balanced with whether you can afford the higher taxes and cost of living and whether you're willing to put up with New York politics.

You may be better off moving to a more affordable area and just budgeting to travel frequently to NYC to visit family (or fully/partially funding their trips to see you). That could end up being the better and cheaper option.

Posts: 33157 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
CALVERTON LONG ISLAND

I respect your choice but question your intellect.

From Florida no less. Confused

Posts: 23262 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
As Retirees we get a good tax break on housing and PUBLIC Transport which there aint here in "paradise" and I use that term lightly.
The other stuff I can take with a pitch of salt, not interested, the wife has her own opinion on things, thanks for the comment.
Ft Myers is now a disaster we need to get out and try to have a retirement without worrying about Hurricanes and Tornados ripping the roof off downing 80ft pine trees,NO power for weeks on end yes we have a generator.
I will NOT miss mowing the grass or constantly weed whacking the 3 acres of forest every week we do not play golf or have a boat I do not fish just shoot IDPA and Steel every week.
But now my knees are toast that has to stop for a while.
Again thank you for the comment

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Posts: 2443 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I totally understand your reasons for wanting to move away from South Florida, I just question whether your limited budget can realistically afford +30% in increased costs, even with some retiree discounts.

If it's one of your major criteria, there are other areas with public transit, and they don't even necessarily have to be the largest, most expensive cities like Boston or NYC. For example, college towns tend to have robust transit systems.

And retiree tax breaks on housing are common nationwide. For example, in Arkansas, homeowners over 65 have their home's taxable value frozen, so they don't have to worry about property tax increases due to ever-increasing value assessments.

Posts: 33157 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Move to a nice apartment in a newer building somewhere in Florida and 90% of your complaints are solved.

Don’t move to F%#&ing NY or Washington, that would be beyond asinine.

Living in Florida doesn’t mean weedwhacking, mowing or dodging hurricanes. Get further north and a bit inland, and you have zero issues.

Posts: 2349 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad’s cousin Joe, moved from Naples to the mountains in western NC to escape the hurricanes, tornadoes etc. they are both from Philly originally.

Joe did the online cost comparison thing and found it was about equal from Fla to nc.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11488 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Well that's a first.

Someone trying to escape Florida for NEW YORK?

Usually it's the exact opposite, LOL

NY state is going to implode from all the illegals flooding into NYC and eating up all the money. You better rethink this plan.

Posts: 34745 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I get it moving away from the potential storms, especially after Ian hit in 22 the damage to the west coast was extensive.

And for those not in FL, mowing and weeding is 12 months out of the year, half in brutally hot weather, even if you mow at 6 am...

You'd have to expect the comments of "NY WTF are you thinking" but if it's to be by family then that's the place you go.

But if it's just reminiscing then maybe go up there, rent a VBRO or apartment for a month or so, and do it in Jan-Feb for a taste of winter, see how it works for you, maybe it does maybe not. Consider it a test drive.

There are better place for fixed income retirement, and Florida is getting expensive, now that all the people moved here from COVID on top of the normal transplants, prices are crazy, its not as affordable as before.

Posts: 24398 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
My MIL lived in NY. When she finally had to go into assisted living, we moved her to Georgia with another of her daughters and finally into assisted living there. The cost of assisted living between NY and GA was night and day.

Posts: 9310 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
You said your wife is a New Yorker, does she have family up there? If so, that might be a good reason for going there. Or an equally good reason NOT to, depending on how well you get along with them.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
LI would be WAY too close to the city for me. Why not some nice small village area upstate, and as far away from the commies as one can get out there?

Posts: 20675 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your life, your wallet. Best of luck I hope it works out. Any chance of keeping the FL home as a rental for a few years and “just in case” keep it as an escape pod ?

I live in a rural area in the panhandle east of Pensacola and my wife’s aunt and uncle just left the same town after their whole lives here to northern Alabama Because our area was getting too busy! They may just be prophetic and getting out a few years early as the area is growing and our county commissioners would sell their mothers for campaign donations from developers.

But after living in a tax oppressive and legally oppressive state I can’t imagine ever going back. When I get to the age my ~3 acres becomes too much hassle I’m cashing out and moving to a condo. No low yard maintenance condos or townhomes in your area of FL ?

Posts: 4992 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
We have pondered this move for years, looked and looked at Florida been there seen it nowhere has want we want here, no transit, no history just condos and or in the middle of nowhere, traffic building.... always having to have two cars, now even places that not had wind for yrs is going to get hit ie Gainsville.

Been to and looked at the East Coast the West Coast not going to move in the middle or Arizona areas etc, so to a place we both know the 'rotten apple' except we do not know, Long Island none of the relations can give a good picture over there.

When I say New York it does not mean the city its the suburbs

We are SAVVY to the crime areas where to go not to go hours etc again except LI.
We do not mind the cold weather looking forward to it actually.

Every two years for the last 6 years a storm comes through here, we are Sh*tting ourselves this year seeing how quickly storms are developing and the strength,
Ft Myers has a Bullseye on it.
Anyway again thanks for the comments.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Calverton, Long Island is eastern Long Island. Weather is mild because of Long Island sound. Minimal snow, 4 seasons.
Calverton is across LI Sound from my location. Ferry transportation from Orient Point to New London, CT or Port Jeff to Bridgeport, CT.
Not NYC by any stretch of the imagination.

Posts: 2378 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Yes Up State we have looked up as far as Albany across to Buffalo no lake effect snow for us, the Hudson valley south to Whiteplains nice areas.But except for the train into the city we still need cars we are museum, art and history people seen all the trees we need.

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
LI would be WAY too close to the city for me. Why not some nice small village area upstate, and as far away from the commies as one can get out there?

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just some information you may or may not have reviewed. Link Best and Worst States for Retirement

The article isn't just a list it has a lot more information on what to consider when making a move as a retiree, pretty good FYI stuff

According to Bankrate, California is the most expensive state to retire in, followed by New York. Bankrate's analysis considered the cost of living, sales taxes, property taxes, and homeowners insurance.

Some other states that are considered expensive for retirees include:

Massachusetts
One of the three most expensive states to retire in

Hawaii
One of the three most expensive states to retire in

Some states that are considered affordable for retirees include:
West Virginia: One of the three most affordable states to retire in
Mississippi: One of the three most affordable states to retire in
Oklahoma: One of the three most affordable states to retire in

Delaware is considered one of the best states to retire in, due to its reasonable affordability and good scores for residents' well-being and weather.

Link Best and Worst States for Retirement

Posts: 24398 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Delaware is considered one of the best states to retire in, due to its reasonable affordability and good scores for residents' well-being and weather.

That could be worth a look.

They have the DART public transit system, with public transit access to NYC with a 2-3 hour train ride.

Also puts you within easy transit access to Philadelphia and Washington DC for your museum visits.

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
We looked at Connecticut seem to be some nice cities AND there are ferries I love going on the water, of course if we could find something in that area we would consider it.
We looked all up the coast to RL New Hampshire etc very nice but isolated.

quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Calverton, Long Island is eastern Long Island. Weather is mild because of Long Island sound. Minimal snow, 4 seasons.
Calverton is across LI Sound from my location. Ferry transportation from Orient Point to New London, CT or Port Jeff to Bridgeport, CT.
Not NYC by any stretch of the imagination.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Link Best and Worst States for Retirement

THIS

This is where my own parents are talking about downsizing and moving to.

OP: you should check out PA too. Outside the Democrat shithole that is Philly, the vast majority of the state is open space and conservative. We have some of the best CCW laws in the entire country too, there's literally 3 places I cannot carry: military/federal installations, elementary schools and court houses. None of the silliness like I saw in VA recently with a big sign on the ABC liquor store telling people that they can't CCW there.

Posts: 34745 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post