SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas jumped up $.30 in the last 4 days, what’s it doing in your neck of the woods?
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 52
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas jumped up $.30 in the last 4 days, what’s it doing in your neck of the woods? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
No one here is creating mass hysteria and panic at the pump.

We just don’t have that kind of power.

If you want to be the arbiter of what’s added value and what’s not, ok that’s fine I suppose - Determining what’s valuable for others – but that’s fairly full of hubris IMO.

Funny thing is you got the same team arguing internally against itself

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Biden wants you to know he cares...

In Latest Flailing Attempt To Slow Soaring Energy Costs, Biden Invokes Defense Production Act To Push Green Agenda

Deputy Secretary of Defense Dr. Kathleen Hicks added: “Reducing America’s dependence on gas and oil is critical to U.S. national security. In conflict, fossil fuel supply lines are especially vulnerable. The actions President Biden announced today will help strengthen our supply chains and ensure that the United States is a leader in producing the energy technologies that are essential to our future success. They will also help accelerate DoD’s transition toward clean energy technologies that can help strengthen military capability while creating good jobs for American workers.”

https://www.zerohedge.com/mark...est-flailing-attempt

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24124 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Hysteria causes runs on ammo, runs on gasoline, runs on ATMs, etc. Don't spread the hysteria. Instead, inquire about reputable sources of knowledge (not at home daddy). In true Sigforum fashion, somebody will likely be knowledgeable on the subject.

I have retired oil & gas friends who worked during the oil embargo and the gasoline lines from the "shortage." Guess how full the gasoline storage tanks were? Damn near full. Hysteria on the crude oil side caused the gas lines.

Yes, fear and hysteria cause runs on commodities. The problem is that an individual person cannot prevent a run by not participating. We shouldn't spread fear all over the place, but we should be wise within our family circle.

We, for example, are actively stocking up on food beyond our previous preps which were intended to get us through a week. There is a coming shortage, and there is big inflation already happening.

Back in the 1979 gas shortage on the east coast, there were tankers lined up off shore that we could easily see from the beach. All the storage tanks at the refineries were full. Once it made the news, they moved the ships over the horizon. We had odd-even license plate limitations, rationing maximum purchase, etc.

Unfortunately we can each either fend for ourselves or find a way to do without whatever is unavailable.

ETA: Be prepared, not scared. Like CCW and home defense. Like putting a snow shovel and extra warm clothing in your car in the winter. Like keeping at least a half tank of gas in the car. Are gas prices going to $10/gallon this summer? Maybe, maybe not. Will shelves be empty at the grocery store this year? Maybe, maybe not.

Posts: 9456 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:

We, for example, are actively stocking up on food beyond our previous preps which were intended to get us through a week. There is a coming shortage, and there is big inflation already happening.

Ditto

My wife and I had our conversation about investments this year, and it seemed wholly correct to prioritize food stocks in the house. Other things too.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead, have higher-level value added discussions on how nationally we have adequate supplies of gasoline and adequate crude oil to make more gasoline.

I'll discuss what I'm capable of, and I'll thank you not to invite me to sit at the kiddies table while the grownups talk.

quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
quote:

Hysteria causes runs on ammo, runs on gasoline, runs on ATMs, etc. Don't spread the hysteria. Instead, inquire about reputable sources of knowledge (not at home daddy). In true Sigforum fashion, somebody will likely be knowledgeable on the subject.

I have retired oil & gas friends who worked during the oil embargo and the gasoline lines from the "shortage." Guess how full the gasoline storage tanks were? Damn near full. Hysteria on the crude oil side caused the gas lines.

Yes, fear and hysteria cause runs on commodities. The problem is that an individual person cannot prevent a run by not participating. We shouldn't spread fear all over the place, but we should be wise within our family circle.

[...]

ETA: Be prepared, not scared. Like CCW and home defense. Like putting a snow shovel and extra warm clothing in your car in the winter. Like keeping at least a half tank of gas in the car. Are gas prices going to $10/gallon this summer? Maybe, maybe not. Will shelves be empty at the grocery store this year? Maybe, maybe not.

Bingo. If all the cattle are stampeding, I'm gonna get run over if I stand in the middle and pretend it isn't happening because I won't want to spread hysteria. If I see the other cattle starting to trot, then I better start moving, too.

Perhaps not a perfect analogy, but the point is I'm not spreading anything. I'm making observations and trying to best prepare my family for potential problems down the road. If you want to judge me for that, then I guess we just don't see eye-to-eye.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
We’re pretty far past the unsettled mooing at this point … lol

~Robert A. Heinlein

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
No one here is creating mass hysteria and panic at the pump.

Traveling throughout the Southwest and CA for business, and here in TX, I don't see "hysteria".

I see anger. Rage. I see a lot of pissed off people, tired of this shit.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16707 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Update from yesterday. Today I saw $7.10. Do I hear $8?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I’ve had some media training and I’ll pass along two pertinent parts.
  • be mindful of what they say and how they say it.
  • be mindful of what they don’t say

They’ll send a reporter to a gas station, and ask people pumping gas “are you concerned about $x gas this summer?” or “are you concerned about 1970s gas lines?”

There won’t be any data as it’s not a recurring news story to say we have normal inventories and the futures market shows gasoline prices decreasing in y months. They’re framing their approach to create fear which creates viewers which increases ad revenue. Facts don’t do that for them.
    quote:
    Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
    quote:
    Instead, have higher-level value added discussions on how nationally we have adequate supplies of gasoline and adequate crude oil to make more gasoline.

I'll discuss what I'm capable of, and I'll thank you not to invite me to sit at the kiddies table while the grownups talk.
    I think you’re capable of helping turn the narrative. I provided graphs with 30 and 40 years of data that inventories are normal and it included a link where it’s updated weekly. I know from your other posts that you like to help people (eg alcoholics) and data can make non-industry people capable of turning the narrative. In hindsight, I was an ass in my approach and apologize.

I agree with you and Fly Sig that an individual person can’t stop a stampede once it’s started. However, the nuance is that an informed person can help prevent a stampede by showing others the narrative the media and politicians are spewing is BS.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No More
    Mr. Nice Guy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

I agree with you and Fly Sig that an individual person can’t stop a stampede once it’s started. However, the nuance is that an informed person can help prevent a stampede by showing others the narrative the media and politicians are spewing is BS.

I think prevention is only possible well in advance because there are very large powerful forces that do want a stampede. To them, facts don't matter, and contrary facts are an obstacle to squash.

It is too late once the media or politicians start spewing. We may not even have warning that an agenda is waiting in the wings, e.g. vaccine mandates. Everyone in high government positions said they would never impose a mandate and didn't think it would be legal. Same with lockdowns; we were assured it was 2 weeks for the goal of flattening the curve, then we'd go back to normal. A few voices were heard warning of potential abuses or misuses of the policies, but by then it was already too late.

Gasoline inventories notwithstanding, when I go to the gas station the price is now over $5/gallon, and it will go up from there. The stampede is under way.

Posts: 9456 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fire begets Fire
    Picture of SIGnified
    posted Hide Post
    WTI Oil is $120.03 bbl

No additional refining capacity even being considered, yet we are currently at 90% utilization.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Purveyor of
    Fine Avatars
    Picture of Orguss
    posted Hide Post

quote:

I've actually been to that station. I'd just bought a truck and was in the habit of picking a cardinal direction and driving for hours when I ended up in Mendocino and needed gas. This was in 1995 and the gas there was a dollar more expensive than anywhere nearer to my home.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Went back to the same station (Costco) I posted about on June 3rd to fill up. Today it was $5.13 vs $4.99 four days ago. Price increase of .14/gallon in 4 days.

I'd imagine close to $6/gallon at Costco by 4th of July if I had to guess.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
    Picture of 9mmepiphany
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by konata88:
    Update from yesterday. Today I saw $7.10. Do I hear $8?

quote:
    Originally posted by 2PAK:
    I'd imagine close to $6/gallon at Costco by 4th of July if I had to guess.

Filled the wife's SUV today at Costco and Regular had jumped to $5.99/gal

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    $4.75 at most places around here yesterday and this morning.

This evening, down one penny, to $4.74

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    Ranging from $4.39-$4.59.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    Filled up my F150 yesterday. When I was done the pump read $98.70. I've owned that truck for 21 years and never once in all that time have I ever paid anywhere close to that to fill up. FJB.

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Frangas non Flectes
    Picture of P220 Smudge
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    In hindsight, I was an ass in my approach and apologize.

I appreciate that, and on further reflection, it's not like I didn't bait you. I'm good with you if you're good with me.

quote:

That's fair, and I wouldn't argue it. What I will say is that for myself, I have so much other stuff going on in my life right now that I'm not really in a place where I have the time or emotional energy to try to inform others and calm down panic. I come here to commiserate certain things with my like-minded peers and elders, and this happens to be one of those things right now. What I know is the gas prices are fucking insane right now, show every sign of getting worse, and in the best case it's all due to mismanagement at the highest levels, and in the worst case, a deliberate plot to grind our economy to a halt.

"Let them eat cake" wasn't just some cute phrase Marie Antoinette allegedly uttered. Even if she didn't say it, what she had was a willingness to not only misunderstand, but completely disregard the plight of the common man that led to absolute horrors at every level of a society. France moved on bread. Modern America moves on gasoline. This "incredible transition that is taking place" may very well be an accidentally ironic understatement. God willing, it will be Biden's "let them eat cake," but hopefully just heads rolling in an electoral manner rather than literal. I truly hope this is what guts the dems for a long time. We'll see in a few months, I guess.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lkdr1989
    posted Hide Post
    Paid $5.15/regular at Costco. Beginning of the year, I thought the high would be $4.50 but now I'm thinking $6.25

If you hear people complaining about gas prices and inflation, speak up and remind them that the demoKKKrats are solely responsible.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    crazy heart
    Picture of mod29
    posted Hide Post
    Chevron regular 87 $5.81.9 yesterday, PNW. Mad

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post