SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SpaceX Is Making it Look Easy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SpaceX Is Making it Look Easy Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Has there been any announcement that it was command detonated or, was there a failure beyond the non-separation?

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It sounds like, despite the "rapid unscheduled disassembly", the mission had SOME level of success.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I believe they waited as long as possible before pushing the FTS button. Stage 0 did not fair much better. But the full stack did clear the tower so they will take the win.

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"rapid unscheduled disassembly"?

What do people have against plain speaking?

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
There is a funny story about rocket scientists and engineers.

Standing at an anonymous hotel bar, I engaged the guy to my right in casual conversation.

He turned out to be a rocket scientist who got his start when the space program was just launching monkeys into space.

After talking for a while, he admitted that his job is about the ten seconds before and after ignition. And no one can predict what will happen. “But,” he said, “that’s not the hardest part of my job.”

When I asked what was so hard, he said “It’s the crew. After a few missions, the apes stopped being trainable. So we went to military test pilots, then military pilots, then women!”

“What the Hell is next? John Glenn on the space shuttle?”

As for the launch today, it was a success.

That heavy, ungainly albatross of a spaceship, so necessary to lofting bigger things into orbit and beyond, flew. And fairly well, for 90 or so seconds.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being the most powerful rocket launch since the Saturn V's, I think Space-X will be doing a bit of clean-up and assessment of the surrounding launch area; hard to believe the didn't build a flame diverter or, suppression system.

Great footage of a photography van getting shelled with incoming debris.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The good news is the trench for the flame diverted is half done.

<i></i>

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSentry,

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Funny enough, it's become a SpaceX originated term to describe explosion. They embrace it, as they seem to the culture of failures being the pathway to success. That, I can get behind.

Still not sure how to embed YT videos, but this one of theirs from some years ago was posted here, and is still amusing.

Link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Good analysis from Ward Carroll's channel.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Launch 2 of Starship- A little further and it seems most of the initial problems were fixed. That's 7 months from the 1st launch- 3rd launch will probably be 1/2 that.

Background- The day before:

The Launch:

Pretty good Post Launch Review:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: braillediver,

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Have a couple of buds that work in other groups on other NASA projects...Artemis and the ISS. They both said that what happened in yesterday's launch and flight was a MASSIVE success despite the loss of all vehicles involved.

That's why unmanned testing is conducted, eh?? And with today's remote technology, it's getting to the point that humans are almost not needed on any of these flights. Hell...they already have unmanned re-supply missions going up to the ISS.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I watched the coverage yesterday and everyone got just about everything they wanted out if that came except for the icing. Yes they had a Stage 1 RUD but there was no plans to recover it. Yes they had a starship issue but no plans to recover that either.

You make successes by making failures first. Remember how Dragon texting went.

The launch was great and they had all 33 engines running. They had a great start to the second stage. All six engines running.

What’s not to like.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps "done blowed up" sounds a little unsophisticated?

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
They made it past MaxQ when they were hoping to clear the tower. That is a massive success. This has been so fun to watch. I took my kids to falcon heavy launch at kennedy and a few nights ago we could see a launch from our house in boca. It was awsome.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ozzy Man has your translation
Jump to 1:37
Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly = Destination Fucked!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Elon Musk's SpaceX successfully launched a rocket in the early hours of Thursday morning from Kennedy Space Center, setting off the first US moon lander mission since 1972.
……
If all goes well, a touchdown attempt would occur February 22, after a day in lunar orbit. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/13086239

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:

Perhaps "done blowed up" sounds a little unsophisticated?

Engineering speak that all Aerospace companies use.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“For the first time in more than five decades, Americans have returned to the moon.

Well, American robots, at least.

A week after launching aboard a SpaceX rocket, the uncrewed Odysseus spacecraft gently touched down on the surface of the moon Thursday, ushering in a historic moon landing. …”

https://www.usatoday.com/story...-launch/72660310007/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post