SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Outdated expressions your Dad used when you were a kid
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdated expressions your Dad used when you were a kid Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My dad used to tell me, when I did stupid shit, that if I did it again he would kick me from hell to breakfast

Boy! If you do that again I’ll kick you from hell to breakfast!

It wasn’t until years later that I contemplated how hard someone had to be kicked to go from a place to an event.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as you live under my roof you are gonna do what I say.

Posts: 17294 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
As long as you live under my roof you are gonna do what I say.

My Dad's version was "As long as you stick your knees under my table..."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15284 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
from hell to breakfast

I still use that, just slightly differently like, “The cattle were scattered from hell to breakfast.”

Thinking about it, my mom used more of those old expressions than dad did. The “more than Carter’s got pills” that was mentioned earlier.

She’d say what sounded like, “You look like Helen Brown.” Then one of us would look down and see that we were wearing a brown shirt. She’d be smiling.

“What are you doin’, mom?”

“Oh, filing my nails with a buzz saw,” she’d answer without looking up.

Posts: 13311 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
eat it or go to bed hungry

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'm not heating the outside meant close the door, and are you paying the electric bill this month meant turn the light off.

Posts: 3473 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quit sitting there like a bump on a log. If you are bored I will give you something to do!

Posts: 17294 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wipe that smile off your face or I will wipe it off for you.

The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
"I brought you into this world and I can take you out just as quick."

"You feeling froggy, boy? Then go ahead and jump!"

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1869 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who do you think you are Queen of Sheeba??

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
eat it or go to bed hungry

Didn't even have that option in our house. Just "Eat it."

The "or else" didn't need to be said out loud.

To this day there are things that I absolutely WILL NOT eat. Not in my house, not in someone else's house to be polite. Liver in any form, cauliflower, rutabaga and parsnips top the list.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15284 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
"That's the way the mop flops".

Still says it at 83 Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15640 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Dad would call me Pierre' often accompanied by a rap of his knuckles on the back of my head. Most likely I deserved it as I certainly wasn't any angel. He was a very big man and a Sargent of a platoon in the airborne in WWII, a tuff old bird who definitely commanded my respect...yes sir and no sir was a standard reply. I learned a lot about respect and honesty from him, he demanded nothing less. He was an extremely generous man underneath that staunch exterior, though rarely seen. I owe him a lot more than I ever gave now that I'm older. I often smile to myself when I think about ole Pierre'...

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
"He doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground."
"Cold as a witch's tit in a brass brassiere."

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
poking fun at someone was 'making a toot out of them'

if I spent money foolishly it was 'they sure saw you coming or you must have been mighty full handed'

he looks like he was shot at and missed but shit at and hit.

raining harder than a double cunted cow pissing on a flat rock.

miss an easy shot in a pool game 'you tore your britches that time'

yes = does a fat baby fart

yes = does a wild bear shit in the woods

Posts: 4707 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Dad’s favorite expression and I’ll still use it today is, “I’d rather have luck than skill any day.”

Posts: 1831 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I remembered another: if something was hot, and someone recoiled from the temp or dropped the dish or pan, theyd say it “has instructions on it”.

Confused as a kid i asked what those instructions were and theyd tell me “instructions to put it down”

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Reveille

"Drop your cocks and grab your socks"

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6330 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'd rather be an hour early than 1 minute late.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
If someone was overweight, my friends father would say "their Crisco," and then say "fat in the can".

Living the Dream

Posts: 4021 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post