SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Outdated expressions your Dad used when you were a kid
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdated expressions your Dad used when you were a kid Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Seems A bunch of our dads went to same dad school class for sayings

Most of what has been posted was said routinely by my dad or my best friends dad that I spent a lot of time with. His dad was career navy and when he had enough of our acting the fool. He get a stern look and at “hey, cut the crap” we never pushed past that so I never found out what was next.

Posts: 4788 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Why do I hear the voice of Darren McGavin (The Old Man Parker - A Christmas Story) in my head as I read all of these Dadisms... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8979 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems A bunch of our dads went to same dad school class for sayings

^^^^^^
Very true. Good point. The stuff that fathers say to their sons is VERY different from what they say to their daughters.

Posts: 17294 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
My old man would always call shotguns "shotty". Like, can I use your shotty? That always irritated me for some reason. He called them that until the day he died. Just to piss me off I suspect. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5059 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
"If you get that {fill in the blank} now then you won't have anything to look forward for". Eek

Posts: 22960 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
Directly. As in: “I’ll get to your request directly.”

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When my father got mad he would say "piss up a rope".

Living the Dream

Posts: 4021 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Precision Enthusiast
posted Hide Post
"You have more excuses than Carter has pills."

Posts: 121 | Registered: August 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Why don’t you put that in your pipe and smoke it?!”

Posts: 3500 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You gonna be a greasy spot on the floor if you keep that up.

Posts: 17294 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The world doesn't owe you a living and money doesn't grow on trees! For Christ's sake!

Posts: 73 | Location: Oceanside, CA | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
When stumped for a solution to a problem on the job.

Well... Do SOMETHING, even if it's wrong!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager, all my friends were afraid of my Dad. This is how things used to be. My high school football coaches were USMC World War II vets. They smacked you and then might tell you what you did wrong. It was a different kind of parenting back then

posted Hide Post
"What do I have to do, draw a picture for you?!"

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2078 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Shitbird"

Posts: 4285 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turbo216:
When my brother and I would get on his nerves we'd often hear: "Hey, you two... bust off!"

One that had me perplexed for many years was: "that's about as useful (handy, or helpful) as tits on a boar." I had no clue what a boar was or why it couldn't find boobs useful.
My dad said "useless as tits on a boar hog". He was not into heavy profanity--I never heard any cursing worse than damn, hell, or shit (and not much of those). I'm sure he had some colorful expressions but I frankly don't remember any. He's been gone a long time (1984).

Many of the sayings mentioned in this thread were quite common when I was growing up. But, like one other has commented, I'm old enough to be a great-grandfather of some of you.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew to take heed of Dad's forewarning of eminent escalation of discipline: "Young man, you better just straighten out and fly right."

Posts: 283 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Mind your own knitting
I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck
Sleep all day, cat around all night
Straighten up and fly right
Useless as tits on boar hog

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
"Because I'm bigger than you."

Posts: 7496 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I grew up on a dirt road in rural Nova Scotia. My dads favorite expression was 'go play in the traffic’

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhtagmember,

Posts: 53249 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post