SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Outdated expressions your Dad used when you were a kid
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdated expressions your Dad used when you were a kid Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
"Like the old Russian wise man said: Toughsky Shitsky"

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See you later alligator. After while crocodile.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I'd ask where he was going, he'd respond "Going to see a man about a horse."

Wait, what?

P229

Posts: 3832 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
You need that like a moose needs a hatrack.

If brains were dynamite, you wouldn't have enough to blow out a match.

Tedi stucki tudi goopi (something like that, as I remember it) - translated (from Yiddish I thought), Two days older, ten days dumber.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father said this to me regularly...

Don't let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird a** ...

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard "cooking with gas" since dad passed.
He also had If it was a candy bar you'd have found it and useless as a tit on a bull.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Most of the language my Dad used in the 50's and 60's has aged well. Don't recall ever hearing him use the F Bomb, but pretty much everything else was in there on a daily basis.

His usual opening remarks when I'd stepped on my crank was "What the hell ails you?".

"If you'd use your head for something besides a hat rack" made regular appearances as well.

One of my favorites concerned a neighbor that was VERY fond of barley soup. "That man hasn't shit a solid turd since 3.2 beer came back."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought of another. You are living the Life of Riley

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

You'll go blind if you keep doing that.
I can stop when I need glasses.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If a vehicle is running well, it is “runnin’ faster than a scalded dog!”

Also, anytime you messed up, like busted a knuckle or banged your head, you’d hear “You can’t beat an education,” suggesting that you’ve been taught a lesson.

Finally, a not so outdated term. Most national news or discussions brought out a “damn Yankees” about something.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Goldbricking.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
"Going to see a man about a horse."

This was one of my dad's also. Another he used all the time, in lieu of cursing: "GOD...bless America and all the ships at sea."

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I shoulda raised pigs, at least I could have sold them.

There were too many to count, most of them NSFW.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Put it in a poke. (Bag)

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Wouldn't take a share in the railroad for it!"
(I like it, and still use it, along with "We're cooking with gas." which someone else posted.)

"You've got to take Willie with you." (meaning to show some willpower or determination) (This was used along with "Can't never did nothing." which was also already posted)

Posts: 632 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Think of the starving Armenians, when my grandmother was trying to get me to eat something I didn't like.

Posts: 9522 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
When I'd ask where he was going, he'd respond "Going to see a man about a horse."

Wait, what?

LOL mine used "Going to see a man about a dog"

we'd get all excited we were getting a new dog for the first few times....

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
One of his favorites to use on his students was "if I want any shit out of you, I'll squeeze your head."

Well, I'm only related to him, it's not like it was by choice...

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

“damn Yankees”

Wait...Thats out dated? Y'all must live too far north. We use it all the time when driving and an Ohio plate gets in the way.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You cut that out or I'll raise a lump on you that will look like your twin.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post