SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are microwaves with hoods over the stove passé?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are microwaves with hoods over the stove passé? Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Holy shit! That’s awesome- and way out of my league, lol. I like to cook, but I’m nowhere to that level.
We had already decided to keep the cupboards above so I might do a modified version of that. It’s just 4” closer to the stovetop than what I’m used to. As y’all know, that can turn out to be more than you might think..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5334 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I don't have a microwave. Leftovers get reheated in the oven, on the stove top, or not at all.

My last house we chose to do an open cabinet for the microwave and the microwave (smaller than average) just sat in the open cabinet box. It was nice to not have it on the counter.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9696 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I do them both ways all the time.
in middle of the road homes space is almost always an issue, so putting a microwave over the stove is a great option, some people dont like the look and go with the hood and put the micro on the counter wasting space.

Higher end homes never go with micro over the stove they almost always have them built in usually above the ovens, I have put them in islands, dedicated, upper cabinets e.t.c. if you just want a hood with good suction cfpm is what you need to look at along with noise level.
Remote blower is another option but usually those are in the higher end. $

Hight of hood is another factor. top of the cabinets with standards hoods are 66 inches, most microwaves hoods are 17 inches high if you want it to be at the bottom of the cabinet height it will need to be at 71 these are all factors you need to think about or discuss with your cabinet maker. trying to put microwave hood in a standard fan cabinet height will not give you much room for larger pans on the stove top.

Depending on the fan you pick out if it's on the larger side check with manufactures suggested height the minimum is 30 inches to a combustible surface.

Posts: 5601 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
in middle of the road homes space is almost always an issue, so putting a microwave over the stove is a great option, some people dont like the look and go with the hood and put the micro on the counter wasting space.

Higher end homes never go with micro over the stove they almost always have them built in usually above the ovens, I have put them in islands, dedicated, upper cabinets e.t.c. if you just want a hood with good suction cfpm is what you need to look at along with noise level.

Hight of hood is another factor. top of the cabinets with standards hoods are 66 inches, most microwaves hoods are 17 inches high if you want it to be at the bottom of the cabinet height it will need to be at 71 these are all factors you need to think about or discuss with your cabinet maker. trying to put microwave hood in a standard fan cabinet height will not give you much room for larger pans on the stove top.

Depending on the fan you pick out if it's on the larger side check with manufactures suggested height the minimum is 30 inches to a combustible surface.

Thank you for this information! Right now the current hood is 24” from the stovetop (has been since I’ve been here), but now I know I might have to go with the simpler hood. Thanks again.

"Trust, but verify."

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:

This is why I went with the short microwave pictured on the first page of this thread. Apparently there is a minimum distance to maintain between the stove top and the bottom of the microwave and that's why they make these.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38699 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
here are a few examples of recent projects I have built, standard hood with remote blower , micro hood and built in micro.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Be advised...when I click on your pics, it does weird crazy shit with Firefox.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Love the middle one best, but I think that might require more renovations than I signed up for (like ripping out those upper cabinets entirely).

So it’s 33” from hood to stove top?

"Trust, but verify."

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Love the middle one best, but I think that might require more renovations than I signed up for (like ripping out those upper cabinets entirely).

So it’s 33” from hood to stove top?

you can put it at any height you would like taking in to account the higher you go the less suction you will have my local code states that the minimum any combustible surface can be is 30 inches. the hood in the middle picture is sitting about 36 from the range surface, that does have a remote blower with lots of suction. most of the time manufactures recommend then lower then they need to be. the size of that hood if put at the minimums is right in the way and feels awkward

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain. It looks like you do beautiful work!

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
I installed mine, Goldstar 1100w 24 Apr 2002.I put a 120v outlet in the cabinet above and just plugged it in. Been flawless.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post