SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are microwaves with hoods over the stove passé?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are microwaves with hoods over the stove passé? Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted
I’m getting some kitchen cabinet work done, and my husband is not interested in putting the wave above the stove, so I’m looking at hoods under the cabinets.

This is an older country style kitchen, so cutting edge modern would look out of place, but I want something that sucks up the smoke! I have a Maytag stainless stove, and I’m trying to find good reviews on under cabinet hoods, but not having much luck. The existing hood is outdoor vented, and a dial type exhaust vs the buttons I’m seeing on new ones. I’d be fine with it but it’s of the “harvest gold” era, and doesn’t match the stove, frig, or washer, and since I’m having the cabinets reworked, it seems like the right time to update.
Any issues with the buttons working? Do the newer ones suck up smoke as well as the old?
Thanks for your opinions and advice.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Not sure about old vs new. Look for CFPM for.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will never, ever have a built in microwave again. Reason; We had a built in microwave and after a few years it crapped out. Okay, no worries, I will just buy a new one. Well, it wasn't that easy, they no longer made that model and new models required a new trim kit, however the trim kits didn't fit and I was told I would have to get my "Cabinet Guy" to modify my cabinet to accommodate the new microwave. I called my cabinet guy, but had doors made to convert the space into a cabinet. My microwaves since have sat on the kitchen counter so when it drops dead, it goes in the garbage and a new one takes its place.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I had that M/W & hood combo for about 30 + years
and it crapped out 2 years back.
Was able to replace the g e with a g e same size.
The pain in the ass was original was mounted on plate on the back new one 's plate was on the top.
Had to unload the cabinet to mount the screws from inside the cabinet.
New one has lots more features and quick buttons
Hell of a lot cheaper in price also.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Drawer Microwaves are the latest 'cool' thing now.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16634 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
My brother and S-I-L have that in their new house. Honestly, not a fan...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
There is some functionality to a MW above the stove as long as you can get decent ventilation and desperately covet your counter space.
However, that configuration is as you say, "passe" and almost never featured in any current kitchen design no matter the motif. About 15 years ago we updated our kitchen a bit and lost the MW above the stove and replaced it with a pretty good and relatively inexpensive dedicated vent hood with lighting and a small counter top MW. So glad we did that. There are a lot of options for vent hoods.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If I was a serious cook and wanted a way to control heat and smoke from cooktop I would go with a dedicated hood and figure out something else for the microwave.

If you have room in an island or cabinets the trend in a lot of places is to have them mounted there, below counter level. Unless you're using it 20 times a day that's less of a nuisance than it may sound like at first based on our experience.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12672 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the current thing to do is “hide” the microwave.

Just had our kitchen redone.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As one of the used appliances in the kitchen all I have to say is who cares if it’s passe?

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
As one of the used appliances in the kitchen all I have to say is who cares if it’s passe?

I'm with you. This notion of making a showplace kitchen that's too fancy to use is a bit silly. Not saying OP is doing that, but it seems all the rage on TV shows.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I kinda like our microwave hidden though. It’s in the island and really frees up a ton of space.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Not only does getting it away from over range help with appearance, no overhead microwave I've ever seen does a decent job of venting odor, smoke and especially heat. Well, they move the heat from beneath it but most of it flows out the front into kitchen and your face even if the struggling little fan is vented.

Side dish of most of us aren't staying in our current house forever, even if we think we are. Little things that make it more salable down the road and still work well while living there are usually a good idea.

Posts: 12672 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I don't even have a Microwave anymore. I don't need to boil water that fast, or thaw something that quickly, and regular Cooktops, Ovens, and the rest are better for warming things, IMO.

I say it's Microwaves themselves that are passe.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Hah! I’m not super trendy, but it’s been about 50 years since the kitchen cabinets had a redo.. we’ve been replacing appliances little by little. Ok, so regular vented hood. If anyone has one they really love, please lmk. I’m stuck between 2 models... 1 very simple and 1 more in the theme of a fancy stand alone hood, but it takes up more vertical height than I’m used to.
Also, do duct shapes matter, or can I get an adapter (yes, I’m going to try and do this myself)?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I just got one and the main reason is I'm selling this house in the next couple of years and wanted to dress up the kitchen with new stainless appliances. I may not even actually use it while I'm still here. But it looks great and vents well enough as far as I can tell.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39230 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Ditched the microwave 4 years ago for a combo steam/convection oven. Previous home the microwave was built in to island.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Ditched the microwave 4 years ago for a combo steam/convection oven. Previous home the microwave was built in to island.

If you want to have some real fun get one of the microwave/Advantium combos. We had this in a house in TX - I have no idea how the Advantium tech worked but it was as bright as the sun and seemingly twice as hot. We called it our little reactor the few times we were brave enough to use the Advantium rather than just microwave settings.

They make an over-range version too.

Kitchen thermonuclear reactor

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
You guys must not have kids. I could never live without a microwave. I also eat a ton of leftovers. How do you heat up leftovers, or chicken nuggets? The oven?

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
I don’t have kids, but would hate to be without a microwave. Heating up a bowl of Dinty Moore Beef Stew for instance.

But for reheating cold pizza my Breville Smart Grill, which heats from above as well as below, is soooo much better than a microwave! Almost as good as just-baked pizza.

www.amazon.com/dp/B003SIN0BC/r..._api_i_Ip-xEb7A5F6V3

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post