SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    BJ’s wholesale club wouldn’t sell my father a bottle of wine yesterday.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BJ’s wholesale club wouldn’t sell my father a bottle of wine yesterday. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
My father doesn’t carry his wallet on him, but he brings it with him when he goes out. So he had left it out in the car and brought his BJ’s card with him into the store. Once inside he decided to buy my sister a bottle of wine.

At the register, since he didn’t have ID to prove that he was over 21 they wouldn’t sell it to him.

In March my father will be 90 years old.

New law in New York State, you can’t buy whipped cream in a can unless you can prove you’re over 21.

But no ID required to vote.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would make a funny local news story.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall a similar situation of VTail getting carded, with some comic commentary.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inside a local grocery store which sells beer and wine. I was behind a man who was probably 55-60 yrs old. Next to him was a young girl maybe 12 yrs old. Young cashier says I need to see everyone's ID. The man hands over his ID. Cashier says I need to see everyone's ID, including the girls. Man says I am buying it not her. Cashier responds because she is with you during the transaction she has to have ID. Man tells girl to stand 10ft away and says how about that. Cashier completes transaction.

I think some of this nonsense comes down to improper training.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Store policy is store policy. If we don't like it, we have to complain up the chain. Like this one, there are tons of eye rolling policies.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
If you were working there and told, "check everyone’s ID, regardless of how old they appear, or you will be fired" , what would you do? Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Common sense just is not that common. Usually there is a sign that says If you don't appear over 40 we are going to require ID.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

No, the training is clear: if you do anything that results in the many thousands of dollars fines and loss of license to sell alcohol for any reason, you get shit-canned at best, and at worst, the store tries to put it all on you. That a cash register jockey was willing to risk prison time and fines to sell to a guy shopping with his daughter isn’t a poor reflection on him, it’s a positive one because he stuck his neck out when he could have just told he guy tough shit. Federal and state regulations are the issue here, not training. If you don’t like this, you guys need to talk to your legislators.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
There are simply cashiers with a lack of common sense at some of these places. I've NEVER been carded at Kroger nor even asked my birthday, the cashiers enter a date and proceed. Hell if they carded every person the checkout line would back up. The rule in WV is "if a person appears 30 years old or under you must ID them". At 69 I don't appear 30 so common sense prevails.
I was once carded at a 7-11 store when I was 58 years old. I produced my drivers license which the person studied for a bit finally saying "we can't sell you the beer because your drivers license expired last week...... so now it's not a valid ID". I said "you realize I'm 36 years beyond 21 and now older than I was when it expired , right?"
"Sorry you don't have a valid ID".

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you do anything that results in the many thousands of dollars fines and loss of license to sell alcohol for any reason, you get shit-canned at best, and at worst, the store tries to put it all on you.

Once upon a time I was responsible for a business that possessed a liquor license. Just prior to my involvement there was an issue involving an underaged patron that resulted in a hefty fine, along with a two week suspension of the license.

That single incident resulted in a loss of over $100,000.

Upon my arrival the new policy was to ID every patron. No ID, no entry. Didn't matter how old you were. We would get the occasional person complain and threaten us with the loss of their $100 they were planning on spending. I would loose that $100 all day, every day, if it resulted in my steering clear of an additional offense which would have resulted in a 30 day suspension.

State statute and company policy aside, there are also local laws that may exist which create a more restrictive set of rules.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
There are a number of businesses that set up their POS (Cash Register) to not let an alcoholic sale go through without swiping a Drivers License.

Businesses are not trying to protect the patrons, they are trying not to get fined or lose their liquor license in a sting.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
There are simply cashiers with a lack of common sense at some of these places.

Yes, and that's why the owners put these blanket policies in place, no matter how ridiculous anyone here thinks they are. You're looking at it from one direction. Try looking at it from the other. To protect their investment from employees who lack common sense, they have made it stupid simple: No ID? No sale. Period.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
A friend's daughter works at a big grocery in NH that has beer and wine. She is told to card everyone with beer or wine or be fired. Sometimes it's not a matter of common sense. It's just the rules. I'm still carded at 53 sometimes. They don't really look at the ID, they just have to go through the motions.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when your standards get so low that half your employees are functionally retarded. As for the scary stories of selling to underage people, well fucking don't sell to underage people. It's not that fucking hard.

Store policy for the sake of policy is dumb. Any store with blanket policies that are outside the norm wouldn't get my business either. If your dumb ass tried to ID me just to enter your store I would tell you to fuck yourself as would many others. Good luck with that business model. This is the classic one kid shits the bed so we all have to wear diapers.

A 90 year needs to be carded? Seriously if you think this is ok because of.... policy, you are part of the problem.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I think employees must follow the rules their employer gives them.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I think employees must follow the rules their employer gives them.

Only if they want to keep working there which some members here apparently don't care about.

I'm sure some members here just go about breaking the rules their employers have.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only if they want to keep working there which some members here apparently don't care about.

I'm sure some members here just go about breaking the rules their employers have.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have been self employed for a LONG time but remember working for others. Common sense should prevail. There were numerous times when the foreman told us to do dangerous things. Well they did not get done. For example get on top of a hopper care without a safety harness when a guy the week before fell off when some idiot moved the train. Factory work is inherently dangerous without some idiot foreman making it worse. I had underage friends working in convenience stores who were told to sell booze no matter how young the customer appeared. I think you missed the mark. No one gets court martialed outside of the military.

posted Hide Post
My daughter in law's father is a retired Investigator for the ABC Board here . They WILL send people into a business to buy liquor and tobacco products and see if they were carded , etc. You won't find any signs around here talking about how old you look . They say you WILL show your ID .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
My daughter in law's father is a retired Investigator for the ABC Board here . They WILL send people into a business to buy liquor and tobacco products and see if they were carded , etc. You won't find any signs around here talking about how old you look . They say you WILL show your ID .

Got carded 3 times (entry, while browsing, checkout) in 1 visit when I was in college.
Apparently TABC would regularly send minors/underage in to test that particular store.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Here the "State Liquor Stores" actually scan your Drivers License to verify your age, no just looking at it.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post