SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    “Will you knock off $15 for a face to face deal?”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Will you knock off $15 for a face to face deal?” Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
LMAO. Hell no. You know how long it takes to ship something? 5 mins, maybe, to weigh and measure it and print a label then drop it in the mail.

You know how long it takes to do a face to face? Let’s go over the steps:

1. Begin text and establish each others locations
2. Try to find a meet up point that’s agreeable
3. Set a time
4. Drive there
5. Wait 20 minutes while the other person is late in traffic or just an inconsiderate jerk
6. Meet up and have the buyer squabble over a previously agreed upon price.
7. Finally make the sale
8. Listen to buyers story about how their wife left them and now they have more money to buy gun parts
9. Finally escape and drive home.

You want me to knock off money for a face to face? Lol. Yeah, I’m definitely willing to sacrifice hours of my time so you can save $15

Posts: 4448 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind FTF and if it saves me money I’m happy to pass at least part of the savings on. It depends on what I’m selling, how much it will cost to ship and if it’s going to be an inconvenience to meet.

Of course I’m single and work on the road so when I’m home and don’t have my kids I have literally zero obligations so I don’t tend to mind going out for a drive. If I worked a normal 9-5 and had a family waiting at home I’d be a lot less likely to want yi take the time out of my day.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Tell him it's an extra $15 for a F2F. Cool

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the bitch, and this is certainly the place for it...HOWEVER, I'd also suspect there are some items or circumstances in which knocking $15 off would be a good deal for the seller. Some folks are also looking for a quick sale, and FTF can scratch that itch.

Good luck with the sale! Big Grin

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Tell him it's an extra $15 for a F2F. Cool

Not nearly enough. I just refuse to sell to them. Not interesting in meeting anyone, that's why I'm shipping it.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
When you finally meet up, the buyer then tells you he's $20 short.

"Hey, we're already here, right? Let's not walk away empty-handed."

Roll Eyes

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Advantage to buyer: can actually see what s/he (it? they?) is buying.

Advantage to seller: ca$h, no worries about bad checks, no credit card or PayPal BS.

Advantage to both: instant gratification.

What's not to like?

I have done face-to-face transactions with several SIGforum members, including one who has posted above me in this thread. Everything worked just fine. Per OP's bitch, I never asked for a discount when buying unless I was willing to schlep to seller's location. If selling, and the buyer were willing to come to me so that I incurred no travel time nor cost, I would knock the shipping cost off.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:

Roll Eyes

Had that happen once and I just left.
Met the buyer in a Lowe's parking lot during the day as it was a convenient spot around. Told him what car I drove and he did the same. Met him and he said he was short cash.
" See ya later" was all I said and left.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No. How about a black eye. No way would I put up with that quasi manipulative bullshit. Just walking away would be best though.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I sell a bit on Gunbroker, and get emails often asking me to sell off line, (as in end my gunbroker listing and sell it to them outright) so I can save fees, and in the same breath they want a discount too,

I asked one guy if I am pulling the listing to 'save fees' and then mark it down like you want, then what am I saving?

he did not get it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Timely and accurate rant.

Now that I'm retired, free time that I can spend on literally whatever I want is my most valuable asset, and it is an absolutely non-renewable resource. So, no... basically no way in hell I'm taking money off the selling price to do something that's more time-consuming.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
What's not to like?

Most of it.

Also, almost nobody gets murdered in transactions through the mail. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, and there’ll be a $20 fuel surcharge.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

What's not to like?
Most of it.

Also, almost nobody gets murdered in transactions through the mail. Wink
Taken out of context. You did not quote my complete post. Repeating, "I have done face-to-face transactions with several SIGforum members," I have not (yet) been murdered by a SIGforum member.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:

Roll Eyes

Gee. That’s funny. I forgot to bring the magazines for this pistol.

You know, we are already here. I’ll just knock $20 off the price of the gun and we’ll call it even. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Sir, there is a mandatory charge of $50.00 for putting up with you.

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the OP... I don't mind a FTF deal, but don't act like its more convenient. It's usually not so I'm not giving you a discount.

If I want to ship your item at 2pm, midnight, 4am it doesn't matter. It can happen any time that is convenient for me.

People's punctuality is terrible. If I say we are meeting somewhere at 2. I might send you a text at 205 wondering where you are, or I might just leave. I don't have really ANYTHING better to do. I don't have a wife and kids at home, I don't have much of anything to do, but I can't stand people that can't be bothered to be on time. I've done this too many times so now I really just try to avoid doing it.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Nope. My favorite was a guy who had twenty dollar bills in each pocket. Low balled me, I said no, began walking away, then he pulled twenties out of every pocket, and maybe even pulled one out of his ass. I’m at the point I’d rather find someone really deserving and just give the shit away before I put up with F2F ever again, or get low balled when I post something for sale as I do the homework first, and price it very well. I had one guy do it and had the balls to say “I had to try” smiling. I said no, and started walking. He then says he’s got all the money and I said fuck it, no thanks. Dude was pissed but IDGAF. He should go look in the mirror.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you're going to haggle, the time to try is before you agree to meet. I do it when I first contact someone if I think I can get a lower price. Unless it's a great price and I just want the thing, I always haggle. Never did before I worked retail and I think I had about every tactic used on me including every variation of "I don't physically possess the number we agreed on" mentioned in this thread, so I guess I got a taste for it. However, I find there's a way to do it for online sales that doesn't generally piss people off.

If I think I can get someone to come down a little on their price, I simply ask them "will you take $___?" If they say no, and I'm still willing to pay their asking price, I pay the asking price. Nobody's gotten mad yet, that I can tell. It's simple, and there isn't a lot of back and forth. I pitch a price that's fair, never more than fifteen percent less than they're asking, because if they're past that, we're too far apart and I simply don't contact them.

I get that there's a time cost on a local meet, but having worked in shipping, I can't say it's ever taken me five minutes. There's a box to deal with, packaging, tape, and that's whether you've got your own label printing setup at home or not, so there's a material cost associated. I sold a helmet recently and between boxing it correctly and taking it to the post office, I was into it for at least an hour. May have been quicker to sell to someone local. If you're only taking five minutes total on packaging something expensive, you're not the guy I want to buy it from.

I did have some assclown ask me if I would ship a rifle for a hundred less than my asking price a few months ago. I didn't bother explaining what I did above, let alone that shipping a long gun would've cost me at least a hundred dollars, so I told him my price shipped was my original asking price plus a hundred dollars and that after some looking around, I realized I was priced low and bumping my asking price $250. Taking his offer would've netted me $200 less than my asking price, and I priced it to sell. This guy was local, too. He didn't respond, and I sold it for my increased asking price two months later. Locally, face-to-face.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Why do so many people get upset when someone makes you a counter offer?
I never understood the vitriol, it's only business .
It's not like they tasered your dick until you accept the deal.
Just say "no" or "yes". Eek

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post