SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    “Will you knock off $15 for a face to face deal?”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Will you knock off $15 for a face to face deal?” Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have not (yet) been murdered by a SIGforum member.

Respectfully, I don't want to meet any of them either. Or anyone else for that matter.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Why do so many people get upset when someone makes you a counter offer?
Because the price wasn't an offer? It was the price.

I don't get upset, I generally just ignore them. Like the gas station or the grocery store would do to me if I made than an offer.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:

while I agree with you to a certain point when the counter offers are reasonable or semi-reasonable. Its the 1/4-1/2 of the asking price on big ticket items that's ridiculous IMO. and most times they don't even have the balls to identify themselves with the really lowball offers.
No ID and really lowball offers just get deleted with no acknowledgement.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:

while I agree with you to a certain point when the counter offers are reasonable or semi-reasonable. Its the 1/4-1/2 of the asking price on big ticket items that's ridiculous IMO. and most times they don't even have the balls to identify themselves with the really lowball offers.
No ID and really lowball offers just get deleted with no acknowledgement.

I should amend to a reasonable counter offer .
There is no set amount but common sense should be in play.
..and I wouldn't say it has to be an offer you will accept - to be reasonable, just one that you might actual take a few seconds to think about.
$15 reduction as a counter offer might not "reasonable" if the item was originally $20 but for something much more expensive then for those I don't see getting butt hurt because of the ask.
Even with stupid low offers - no need to get belligerent unless that is your normal demeanor.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it doesn’t seem like a reasonable gripe to me but everybody is wired different.

I hate shipping. It has gotten ridiculously expensive and I would rather walk on hot coals than cool my heels waiting in line at the post office.

If it’s local, it does save me money. Whether I want to pass that along to buyer is my decision.

Business is business. Say no or ignore the query. It’s just business.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never understood the vitriol, it's only business .
It's not like they tasered your dick until you accept the deal.
Just say "no" or "yes". Eek

While I agree that it’s “just business”.

Not everyone is comfortable in transacting business. Most people don’t like confrontation, and the negotiation process often feels confrontational.

Plus, people don’t want to fail; far more than they wish to succeed. ~Jordan Peterson.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
1. Cash is NOT king. I would rather have an instant payment into my account any day of the week. Like it or not, this is the society we live in.

2. My time is worth something, and a FTF takes MUCH more time than shipping.

3. Additionally, FTF requires gas and wear and tear on a vehicle. All the more reason to add money to the price if someone wants to meet up.

4. If you don't own a printer and don't know how to use shipmygun (for firearms) or pirateship (for anything else) or any other online shipping service, and you're still one of those poor saps waiting in line at the USPS, I understand why you would want FTF as a seller...that really just means the modern world has left you behind.

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:

4. If you don't own a printer and don't know how to use shipmygun (for firearms) or pirateship (for anything else) or any other online shipping service, and you're still one of those poor saps waiting in line at the USPS, I understand why you would want FTF as a seller...that really just means the modern world has left you behind.

Had to laugh. You're starting to sound like me.

Or is it the other way around. Amazingly enough, the modern world has left a lot of people behind. It amazes me how often some of my friends or acquaintances ask me to do something with computers or cell phones or WiFi or whatever for them.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never understood the vitriol, it's only business .
It's not like they tasered your dick until you accept the deal.
Just say "no" or "yes". Eek

I don’t get upset at an email, etc. It’s when price has been agreed upon and they try it in person.

And my for sale stuffs it lists the price, firm, and no haggling. Time is money and I don’t have time for tire kickers. I price my stuff, when I sell, at pricing that is extremely competitive and usually the stuff is in mint condition. I get pissed when it says firm, no haggling, and I get “will you take X?” No I won’t, quit wasting my time. Guess you can read the listing and maybe need to get some readers!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Guess you can read the listing and maybe need to get some readers!
I have heard that progressive lenses work pretty well.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy endings are $65.00 extra,
Or so I am told

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Supply and demand...I have the supply and i demand the set price....Try and cut my price it will automaticaly be raised or item taken off the market...... My game so it is my rules.. Do not like the rules then you do not have to play......... ,,,,drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Well, it doesn’t seem like a reasonable gripe to me but everybody is wired different.

I hate shipping. It has gotten ridiculously expensive and I would rather walk on hot coals than cool my heels waiting in line at the post office.

If it’s local, it does save me money. Whether I want to pass that along to buyer is my decision.

Business is business. Say no or ignore the query. It’s just business.

I rather drive/wait than deal with USPS or UPS. I hate those places.

Honestly, if I have to ship it, I rather just give it to a friend, donate, or discard.

If it's a firearm, thanks to new laws a can't just say show me your CHP (background checked) and license. So I guess under new rules I would have to meet them at my FFL or gun shop to do background checks. For that specific purpose I might be willing to have FFL ship for me. Again unless I needed the money, I'd probably just gift the gun at local range to a friend or push it to the back corner of collection.

I actually have three SIGs I want to sell, all out of production German guns. Too fucking lazy to deal with it. Once that desire for the XFive takes over, maybe I'll list them. Probably not though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Will you knock off $15 for a face to face deal?”

In my case when selling, the price is based on a face to face transaction and the currency is cash. You want it shipped to you, that cost is on you. You can pay me with any other means you want as long as your payment cost is added.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you use on SF classifieds, you better be prepared for the large segment of members who will only transact w/ personal checks. Oh, and they're standing in line at the PO too.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cash is king

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't ship firearms . I belong to a local gun forum and all of my buying and selling is to other members . We use a feedback process so you know who and what you are dealing with . All of my transactions are face to face and the price is agreed upon before I leave the house . I've never had an issue with anybody trying to dicker with me after we meet up.

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I don't ship firearms . I belong to a local gun forum and all of my buying and selling is to other members . We use a feedback process so you know who and what you are dealing with . All of my transactions are face to face and the price is agreed upon before I leave the house . I've never had an issue with anybody trying to dicker with me after we meet up.

I did that in Washington. Waguns.org was fantastic. If someone was a butthole, they got feedback for it. I ignored a few PM's from people because their feedback sucked.

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
If you use on SF classifieds, you better be prepared for the large segment of members who will only transact w/ personal checks. Oh, and they're standing in line at the PO too.

The worst kind of online sellers are those who will ONLY accept an USPS money order. It costs money, you gotta wait in line at an actual PO to get it, you're limited to $1000 or be forced to stack it, you snail mail it, and it's not even all that secure as some people make it seem.

In fact I find it hilariously ironic because these are almost guaranteed to get held by banks since they don't have the ability to verify the funds, not to mention they can be faked just as easily as any other forms of paper checks.

"But you can just cash it at a PO", they say... Nope! 9 out of 10 times my PO just tells me they don't have enough cash in the drawer and just "deposit it at a bank".

"But it's a federal offense if someone commits fraud with a postal money order~" they say..., nope. You can bet your ass no federal investigator is going to spend their precious time investigating your $200 dispute.

To me there's simply no pay off for either the buyer or seller to use postal MO's and yet there are still people insisting on them like they're some kind of golden ticket.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
use shipmygun (for firearms) or pirateship (for anything else)
Already been using SMG for years but this week was my first use of pirateship. Thanks for the recommendation as it saved me over 30% on shipping my annual soil sample to Texas A&M.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I had an interesting one yesterday. I sale a small amount of vintage audio/hifi gear and have a 35year old NAD receiver for sale that works well.

The guy wanted me to drive it to him (on my way) and he would only pay with paypal (he refused to pay cash) so that if later it developed static or wasn’t perfect he would simply file a Paypal dispute on me.

My add clearly states NO WARRANTIES, and Paypal gift only. No goods and services.

The level of entitlement really is impressive these days! Mind you this is for a $160 item!

I told him Good Luck and to buy NEW. $$$$

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post