SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tire store can't/won't repair flat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire store can't/won't repair flat Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
As time went by I started using a slime type tire sealant to avoid taking them to a tire shop. And when I finally did, it was a big box discount, where I had bought the tires, and where the sell the tire sealant, and where they also charge another $10 @ (at the time) to repair their tire if you used sealant. Okaaaay.

Bought my own manual tire changer from an imported tool house - you know - and went back to DIY. It's how I was taught in the day when not all shops had a pnuematic dismounter. A Coats 10/10 didn't even come stock with an inflating ring back then. Now I'm all set up, right?

Wont really do 12" trailer tires on a log splitter. That is all wrestling on the floor, and with a bad back etc it's a chore.

Then I decide to change out the TPMS sensors on her car, get sensors from Rock Auto (1/2 price compared to what I would pay employee discount when I worked auto parts, SAME BRAND/Part Number!) and discover the new joy of working with extreme low profile tires. Got it done, cheap scanner came in, done.

Next, new tires for the F150 - 17". Get any while you can find them, order Mud Claws in OEM size as bigger ones are much higher long lead. Now we're talking - 70 ratio sidewalls. Yeah but 17" TRUCK tires. Got two done the first day, two the next. Used ceramic beads to balance, toss a bag in, easy peasy. And then spent the next three days healing up. Saved $25 a tire, $100 total.

If you are over 50 or simply have no experience busting tires mount and dismount, I would suggest you are getting your money's worth paying them to do it.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Whatcha talking about, Willis?!

Mavis charged me for the two nail repairs recently. Same shop, different prices.
Wife's Tiguan was $60
My was $40.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I won't bore people with the whole story, but Stroeher & Olfers in Fredericksburg, TX, took care of my rental car flat at the very end of the day for a very fair price.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
Mavis charged me for the two nail repairs recently. Same shop, different prices.
Wife's Tiguan was $60
My was $40.

Dayum. Around here, having a tire shop plug a nail hole will only run you like $7 to $10.

And sometimes they don't even charge you at all, especially if you're an established customer.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Dayum. Around here, having a tire shop plug a nail hole will only run you like $7 to $10.
Simple repairs like that are free at Discount Tire.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post