SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tire store can't/won't repair flat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire store can't/won't repair flat Login/Join 
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted
I took a front tractor tire down to the local tire store for repair. They, that is two employees, take one look at the yellow wheel and determine it's too small for them. Mind you, neither actually looked at it. I take the time to patiently tell them it's a 14" wheel. Said it didn't matter, their equipment couldn't handle it. I reply, that's odd, my Mustang has 14" wheels on it. They both promptly informed me I was wrong. I am not wrong, 1965 Mustangs were in fact equipped with 14" wheels. However, since these to jackwads ages wouldn't add up the age of that car, I dropped it. Nonetheless, they insisted they couldn't help me. I had already come to that conclusion, but not for the same reasons...

It needed a valve stem. $1.35 at O'reilly's and it's fixed.

Once I got home, I was curious so I looked on their website. And what do you know, they sell 14' tires. I did email the district manager, never heard back.

It's hard to find help today. A simple job, something a tire store does day in and day out; seemingly only if the help wants to... Who runs these operations?

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They probably did you a favor by running you off as a customer.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What store?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local shop will do anything from small lawnmower tires through farm tractor tires. The difference is, they *want* to make money.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shops up here do everything from grocery carts to mining trucks and advertise that they will work on anything.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I used the vehicle the wife usually drives last week, CR-V. I try to drive it once in a while, check things out.

I notice the tire light is on, at the dentist I look, 1/3 flat. Later I get air close by then drive home & take the tire off. I quickly see a sheet metal screw buried to the head. This one was right in the middle, at an angle.

I do the procedure with my ‘plug kit’, seems at least once a year I’m doing it. I’ll plug the hole, then watch psi like a hawk for a while, more often than not, all is well.

I did one two years ago that was just off the main tread, a rivet. I’d expect a shop to balk, newer Michelin tires, held great.

My 1st impulse is to plug it myself. When a tire has a steady leak, it’s usually punctured.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It's been a long time since I did tires but I'm pretty sure 13" were even common back in the 80s. I recall ads would say "Tires from $29" but it would be for a 155/95/13 or something.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

It's been a long time since I did tires but I'm pretty sure 13" were even common back in the 80s.
Yup. We had a 1980 Honda Civic. 13" was the size.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Most of the "tire shops" don't actually know how to change/mount a tire, it's all in the machine they use.

My local mechanic has an automated station for automotive tires to speed things up, but he still has an old manual tire mounting station and can do everything from 8" lawnmower tires to my 24" tractor tires.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
What store?
Mavis Discount Tire, formerly Kauffman Tire. The later was great store. Fixed flats for free, regardless of where you bought them.

You see, it’s not really about how much you make fixing the flat, it’s about establishing that relationship.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Thankfully my local Mavis Tire seems to be pretty good. Took my car to them a few months ago because the left front tire had a slow leak. They repaired it free of charge in just a few minutes! Will definitely go to them again when needed, and hope they continue to be as good!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I used the vehicle the wife usually drives last week, CR-V. I try to drive it once in a while, check things out.

I notice the tire light is on, at the dentist I look, 1/3 flat. Later I get air close by then drive home & take the tire off. I quickly see a sheet metal screw buried to the head. This one was right in the middle, at an angle.
My Audi A6 kept having an issue with one tire losing air. Turns out the rim had corrosion. When I replaced the tires they sanded down the rim and used a sealer on it. No problems since.

I do the procedure with my ‘plug kit’, seems at least once a year I’m doing it. I’ll plug the hole, then watch psi like a hawk for a while, more often than not, all is well.

I did one two years ago that was just off the main tread, a rivet. I’d expect a shop to balk, newer Michelin tires, held great.

My 1st impulse is to plug it myself. When a tire has a steady leak, it’s usually punctured.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Audi had a consistent air leak on a rear tire. When it was time for new ones, they discovered the aluminum rim had corrosion. They sanded it down and sealed it. No problems since.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
It's been a long time since I did tires but I'm pretty sure 13" were even common back in the 80s. I recall ads would say "Tires from $29" but it would be for a 155/95/13 or something.

Yep. My 1980 VW Rabbit had 13" wheels.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the 1981 Datsun 210 sedan I used to bomb around in had 13 inch tires, as well.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Over the summer I took the front tire from my lawn tractor to Mavis for a flat repair. They put a patch on the inside. They refused payment, so I gave the guy that fixed it a tip.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
They know everything because they are on the internet on their phones!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Discount Tires in Cheyenne has done lawn tractor and wheelbarrow tires fo me at no charge. Of course I've spend several thousand dollars there over the past 10 years.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

They know everything because they are on the internet on their phones!
A friend of mine who worked at a graduate level school overheard the following conversation between two teachers who were just exiting the mens' room:

"What's the matter with these young people? Why can't they flush a urinal?"

"There's no app for that."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My experience with Tire Kingdom store by my house.

1) Walked a garden tractor tire in that was getting flat overnight. They dismounted, cleaned the bead, replaced the valve stem. No wait, done in under 10 minutes. Charge? Free.
2) Walked an ATV tire in that was getting flat overnight. They dismounted, cleaned the bead, replaced the valve stem. No wait, done in under 10 minutes. Charge? Free.
3) I had a huge bolt in my tire. I took it off, walked it in. They properly dismounted it, plugged it from inside with a patch/plug. Charge? Free.
4) Bought a spare, used car from my mother in law. Needed two new tires. I bought the same exact tires that were on the front of the car at Walmart. I carried the new tires in to Tire Kingdom to have them install them. Guy was quick and efficient. He called me out to the bay to show me that the rear brake pads were extremely worn and in need of replacement. I do all my own brake work so I replaced the pads myself, but I thanked him for bringing it to my attention.

I plan on buying all my tires there from now, based on the awesome service I have received.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post