SIGforum
Tire store can't/won't repair flat

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/7630063784

December 22, 2021, 07:37 AM
Tirod
Tire store can't/won't repair flat
As time went by I started using a slime type tire sealant to avoid taking them to a tire shop. And when I finally did, it was a big box discount, where I had bought the tires, and where the sell the tire sealant, and where they also charge another $10 @ (at the time) to repair their tire if you used sealant. Okaaaay.

Bought my own manual tire changer from an imported tool house - you know - and went back to DIY. It's how I was taught in the day when not all shops had a pnuematic dismounter. A Coats 10/10 didn't even come stock with an inflating ring back then. Now I'm all set up, right?

Wont really do 12" trailer tires on a log splitter. That is all wrestling on the floor, and with a bad back etc it's a chore.

Then I decide to change out the TPMS sensors on her car, get sensors from Rock Auto (1/2 price compared to what I would pay employee discount when I worked auto parts, SAME BRAND/Part Number!) and discover the new joy of working with extreme low profile tires. Got it done, cheap scanner came in, done.

Next, new tires for the F150 - 17". Get any while you can find them, order Mud Claws in OEM size as bigger ones are much higher long lead. Now we're talking - 70 ratio sidewalls. Yeah but 17" TRUCK tires. Got two done the first day, two the next. Used ceramic beads to balance, toss a bag in, easy peasy. And then spent the next three days healing up. Saved $25 a tire, $100 total.

If you are over 50 or simply have no experience busting tires mount and dismount, I would suggest you are getting your money's worth paying them to do it.
December 24, 2021, 05:21 PM
Beanhead
Whatcha talking about, Willis?!

Mavis charged me for the two nail repairs recently. Same shop, different prices.
Wife's Tiguan was $60
My was $40.
January 01, 2022, 02:06 PM
Blackmore
I won't bore people with the whole story, but Stroeher & Olfers in Fredericksburg, TX, took care of my rental car flat at the very end of the day for a very fair price.

Truth: The New Hate Speech
January 01, 2022, 02:10 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
Mavis charged me for the two nail repairs recently. Same shop, different prices.
Wife's Tiguan was $60
My was $40.

Dayum. Around here, having a tire shop plug a nail hole will only run you like $7 to $10.

And sometimes they don't even charge you at all, especially if you're an established customer.
January 01, 2022, 03:27 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Dayum. Around here, having a tire shop plug a nail hole will only run you like $7 to $10.
Simple repairs like that are free at Discount Tire.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים