SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What pisses you off about car manufacturers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What pisses you off about car manufacturers? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

I don't mind (too much) a warning of an obstacle, drifting from a lane, etc., but cars that self-correct can't anticipate every situation.
The Lane Keep feature in my 2020 Ford Escape has user-selectable modes. I can set it to just a warning, or it can be set to the "active" mode, where it actually does some mild steering. I say "mild" because it's enough to stay in the lane, but it only takes a very light effort to override it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31366 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, I love my 2023 Jeep Gladiator but some things make me ask, REALLY?

- Daytime running lights that cannot be turned off.

- Autopark, vehicle automatically shifts into park if a door is open.

- Autostop, half the time I forget to disable it until I come to my first stoplight.

- Locking differentials cannot be engaged unless transfer case is in 4 Low.

- Off road pages and some other displays disable when speed exceeds 20mph.

- Horn chirps when autostart used, vehicle locked, unlocked, etc.

- The fact Jeep, Chrysler, FCA, Stellantis or whoever the fuck decided to change the ECU in 2023 so the programmers that can delete all of these electronic nannies no longer are effective after the 2022 model year.

- Plastic front and rear bumpers on a Jeep.

- CAFE requirements so I can't get a V-8 in a Gladiator.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11881 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Don't get me wrong, I love my 2023 Jeep Gladiator but some things make me ask, REALLY?

That's likely a direct result of a high profile incident in which a celebrity (Anton Yelchin) was run over and killed by his own Jeep in his driveway.

Posts: 33023 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took three people to get the woman in a Tesla thru the carwash. Apparently, putting ecars in neutral is not intuitive. I was trapped in line behind her.

Posts: 223 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Car that admonishes me to keep my hands on the wheel when Lane Keep Assist is engaged. Both my hands are on the fucking wheel, but apparently not where the sensors are.

The Ford does not have capacitive sensors in the wheel like some others [Rivian, maybe?]
If it doesn't sense any steering input, even just a tiny nudge, it gives this alert.
Our 2018 Expedition & 2020 Explorer both do it.

I, on an empty straight road, ignored it to see what it would do, with the CC engaged.
First a visible alert in the dash, 2nd a visible & audible alert.
I believe it was on the third warning, the vehicle applied the brakes [gently] & began, I assume slowing to a stop. I nudged the wheel & it resumed.
Guessing it made the assumption that I was asleep & was going to slow to a stop & shift to P.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15966 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
It took three people to get the woman in a Tesla thru the carwash. Apparently, putting ecars in neutral is not intuitive. I was trapped in line behind her.

Heard a couple weeks ago of an owner that took his Cybertruck through a carwash & it bricked the truck.
Tesla was able to send an OTA command to get it going, but it was repeatedly going into limp mode after that.

Posts: 15966 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
I remember when manufacturers began including maintenance for 36 months on cars. Somehow the fluids, brakes and all wearable items were considered good until 36 mos and fluids until 60k miles or "lifetime" fluids on sealed transmissions. All of a sudden the cars recommended service intervals began AFTER the included maintenance period. All you get in the maintenance included deal is a couple oil changes, brake pads (not rotors), air filters and cabin filters UNLESS you pay for the upgrade package LoL The ol" BUMPski!

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 624 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Split bench seats in pickups

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55161 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

That's likely a direct result of a high profile incident in which a celebrity (Anton Yelchin) was run over and killed by his own Jeep in his driveway.

That was a Jeep Grand Cherokee. That model had a really annoying floor shifter. It didn't have individual detents for PRNDL, it was kind of like a toggle. It was weird, it was like bump it back once for reverse, twice for neutral and three times for drive. So instead of admitting a bad design, everyone got autopark.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11881 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Vehicles that cannot be shifted into neutral without the engine running. I have come across numerous disabled vehicles that cannot be pushed off the roadway without the vehicle running. There are no neutral overrides.

Most have a manual method to 'shift' into neutral - it's likely in the owners manual and the owners never bothered to look it up... For instance my 2019 ram you have to remove a panel and then pull a lever/piece of webbing to disengage the transmission if you need to with the power off.

In reality there is no way to do it with the power on (unless you stay in the car or go out the passengers side) - as soon as you open the door - if it's not in park it will apply the ebrake and shift to park. It's saved me a couple times when I've been rushing with parking the boat etc where I absently turned the shifter to drive instead of park and then opened the door to hop out. I heard a weird noise (the Ebrake engaging) and it had automagically shifted to park with a warning on the dash.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1766 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28626 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The prices for gas cars due to manufacturers raising prices to subsidize the electric crap. Google Ford for example.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4273 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
What to a 1960 pickup truck and a 2020 pickup have in common? They rust out in the same exact places for the same exact reasons.

If you have a product with a problem and you don't fix it 60, 70, 80 years, it's ignored on purpose. Don't want them lasting too long, we want you buying new ones.

Posts: 21335 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Split bench seats in pickups

With bench seats your sweety can cozy up next to you. Big Grin

Posts: 1325 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
No little front vent windows for the dog to stick her nose out.

Posts: 16161 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
As we can read here most of the complaints are due to the unneeded tech that the OEM’s are taking on.
And the general public is balking at spending 50-100K on a pick up etc. Who would have thought… So some of the manufacturers are starting to develop cheaper vehicles around $25-30K that will hopefully eliminate most of this useless junk.

My first new vehicle was back around 1983. It was a base model Mazda B2000 pick up with a manual transmission and roll up windows. The only option it had was A/C (I was in TX). I paid $4900 put the door and loved that little beast!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
base model Mazda B2000 pick up with a manual transmission and roll up windows. The only option it had was A/C (I was in TX). I paid $4900 put the door and loved that little beast!

I'd buy one of those right now. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13850 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
base model Mazda B2000 pick up with a manual transmission and roll up windows. The only option it had was A/C (I was in TX). I paid $4900 put the door and loved that little beast!

I'd buy one of those right now. Cool

Or an old Nissan Hardbody [D21 with the KA24 & a 5MT]
Problem is, they're rotten or pristine, with prces to match.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^

I had a 720 (D21 predecessor). Rusty, slow, weak, and mostly reliable. Big Grin I loved that little truck, despite its crudeness.

God bless America.

Posts: 13850 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever a thread like this comes up, I think how much better off I would be if I had the foresight in 1974 to buy ten Fiat 124 Special TC's instead of the one I did buy.

I paid $3,078 out-the-door for it with an AM radio.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9364 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post