SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What pisses you off about car manufacturers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What pisses you off about car manufacturers? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Would displaying "You didn't put the gas cap on correctly" be all that hard?

But then you wouldn't need to incur a dealer charge to tell you what's wrong. Wink

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The one I'll get to figure out this weekend.
Having to need a scan tool to inform the car that you've replaced the battery.
$200 at the dealer to have them 'register' the battery to the car, or $500 all in for them to replace the battery & register it.
I'll be buying a capable scan tool to DIY.

quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
My 2012 Chevy Cruze weighs almost the same as my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee did. I can't figure out how the hell that can be?

It really is shocking how heavy the Cruze is for its size.

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Biodegradable insulation on the wiring that evidently has an aroma and flavor irresistible to rodents.

Ah, 90s Mercedes. Don't know who thought that was a good idea

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Thankfully I've never experienced it personally, but apparently there's a percentage of cars where the battery is now located in the wheel well, and you have to jack the car up, remove a wheel, and remove the wheel well liner in order to access it. Eek

What a genius move.

Or having it under the power passenger seat [WK Jeep Grand Cherokee & Mercedes ML]
Dead battery? Remove the very heavy passenger seat, which the average owner wouldn't have the large torx bit to remove.
Have also heard some where the carpet wasn't cut for the battery access & they also needed to cut the carpet.
Oh, and the battery is about 1.5" longer than the opening, so you have to do some tiny fingered Jenga to make it fit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
- Daytime running lights
- Nanny technology
- Fru-fru crap, instead of functional hardware
- Giant touch screens grafted onto the dash like warts on a toad
- Crappy metal
- Lack of longevity (both the components and the overall assembly)
- Near-impossible DIY (thanks a lot, CANBUS!)
- Ever-increasing prices

Mad

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ DRLs don't bother me, I just don't like it when they use the headlights for it.
Prefer a separate bulb & have coded my Fords to run the foglights as DRLs instead [except my Explorer which has a standalone DRL in the headlight housing].

Now, the DRLs that are so bright that morons don't realize their headlights aren't on, those I hate.
Nissan Rogue is one of the worst offenders I've noticed around here.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The INSANELY bright headlights that new cars all seem to have now.

IMO they’re downright dangerous and may be causing accidents when people get blinded.

Toyota seems to be one of the biggest offenders, I had a guy behind me in a Corolla for a few miles and had to turn my mirrors and rearview mirror down (doesn’t have the dimming as it’s an aftermarket rear camera screen mirror) because he was absolutely blinding the crap out of me with his 5 million lumen headlights.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Thankfully I've never experienced it personally, but apparently there's a percentage of cars where the battery is now located in the wheel well, and you have to jack the car up, remove a wheel, and remove the wheel well liner in order to access it.

That would be a number of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles.

Having retired I no longer work on other people's cars daily. Already bad enough with all this needless complication (much of it directly or indirectly mandated by the government), they are getting worse. For example, who the hell thought it's a good idea to submerge a rubber belt in oil to drive critical components? (Some Ford engines for the timing belt or oil pump drive. YouTubers who I believe credible are reporting failures already.) Take the entire engine out to replace a steering gear? (Second-generation Toyota Tundra.) Servo-operated HVAC air duct doors that not only go bad, but often make you take the entire dashboard out to get to them? (Multiple makes and models.) I don't didn't like fixing this crap any more than customers liked paying for it.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I don't like most about new cars is their capability to spy on you. My 2024 Camry has sign assist which illuminates every stop, yield and speed limit sign the car encounters which means Toyota knows exactly where your car is every second of the day. They also try and get you to download their Toyota app but don't tell you until after the fact downloading the app gives your consent for them to gather data on your driving habits and sell it to third parties.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: calugo,

Posts: 1695 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vehicles that cannot be shifted into neutral without the engine running. I have come across numerous disabled vehicles that cannot be pushed off the roadway without the vehicle running. There are no neutral overrides.

I also had a BMW suv which could not be moved after being rear ended at slow speeds at a stop sign. Think about if you were on a major highway and your vehicle thinks its smarter than you and now your stopped in the middle of the road.

Posts: 5463 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
No headlight dimmer switch on the floor. No starter button on the transmission hump above the gas pedal.

I had a Ford Fairlane that had a button on the floor that you pumped with your foot to squirt the washer fluid on your windshield.
The cozy wing you opened for A/C.

I'll bet a lot of people don't know what a cozy wing is. They are great till a bumblebee hits it
bounces off your chest and falls between your legs. 70 mph doin a dance in your seat. Big Grin

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The aggravatingly stupid feature that shuts off the engine at stop lights. Mad And my Jeep beeps the horn 3 times if I get out of it with the engine running and the key fob is in my pocket. Hate that too!

Plenty of things I can complain about. But these 2 right here are the worst. The horn one sends me into red zone rage cursing the car audibly every single time.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 7011 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
No headlight dimmer switch on the floor. No starter button on the transmission hump above the gas pedal.

I had a Ford Fairlane that had a button on the floor that you pumped with your foot to squirt the washer fluid on your windshield.
The cozy wing you opened for A/C.

I'll bet a lot of people don't know what a cozy wing is. They are great till a bumblebee hits it
bounces off your chest and falls between your legs. 70 mph doin a dance in your seat. Big Grin

Took a wasp to the neck at >70mph. Driving with the windows down on the scenic back route between Beaumont > Austin.
Hit me hard enough it killed the wasp Eek

quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The aggravatingly stupid feature that shuts off the engine at stop lights. Mad And my Jeep beeps the horn 3 times if I get out of it with the engine running and the key fob is in my pocket. Hate that too!

Plenty of things I can complain about. But these 2 right here are the worst. The horn one sends me into red zone rage cursing the car audibly every single time.

Coded the 'car is running honk' out of my Explorer, need to do it on our Expedition.
At least it only does it once.

posted Hide Post
It may be worth getting the entry level trim on newer cars so as to avoid many of the unnecessary bells and whistles.

Some of the rental cars nowadays have the "lightning" car charger, which is way different than the iPhone USB charger. And some of the infortainment centers are way too complex for the casual user.

I bought a 2001 911 about a year ago. Thankfully it's still pretty basic mechanically and the doodads are limited. I invested $300 in the Durametric software that allows me to analyze dozens and dozens of components and systems in real time if it ever gets to that point. And the mechanical things are fairly straightforward.

And I'm keeping my sweet, sweet 2000 Honda Odyssey until it drops dead.

P229

Posts: 3940 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
<<snip>> and your vehicle thinks its smarter than you <<snip>>

That sums up ALL of what pisses me off about modern cars! The car is NOT smarter than me and has no way to determine what is "best" in each and every situation. Such things are seriously dangerous at times!

As to irritating things, I just had one mentioned above happen about 2 months ago. My 2013 VW Jetta needed a new battery, so I go to my local auto parts to buy one, and was informed the computer had to be "reset" to work with the new battery, and they didn't have the reset tool available at that time. I thought I was being pranked, went back home and looked it up, and lo-and-behold it was legit!

Had to take the car to a shop where they had the tool, pay more for the battery, plus $75.00 or so more to have it reprogrammed! Mad

I later figured out how I could have done it myself without reprogramming by simply keeping power to the cables via jumper cables from another car so mine never lost power, but it was too late by then. At least I'll know next time... if there IS a next time!

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

I'm going to hang on to my 2009 Toyota Corolla for as long as possible. For a modern car it has a minimum of electronics on it, just engine management, anti-theft, power steering and ABS. (I can take or leave ABS; I think it increases stopping distance on wet or snowy roads.) No power window regulators to go bad, nor does it have electronic servos for the HVAC.

quote:
posted by gpbst3:
Vehicles that cannot be shifted into neutral without the engine running.

And if you open the door they will put the transmission back into park and/or apply the electric parking brake. Yeah, a real pain in the ass when you need to work on them. Most brake, axle and driveline services need the trans in neutral, as does rolling the car back and forth on alignment rack turn plates. Chrysler and RAM do have a mechanical parking pawl override, but its operation is not readily apparent.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Whoever decided to put the starter smack-dab in the middle of the engine?
I know the Titan is being disco'd but that doesn't help me with this (doing the install now).
Plenty of knuckle bustin'.
Mad Mad Mad

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
My 2013 VW Jetta needed a new battery, so I go to my local auto parts to buy one, and was informed the computer had to be "reset" to work with the new battery

Been there recently! That battery wasn't cheap, neither. Eek

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
unavoidable overpriced GPS nav systems I never use because my phone is easier and does a better job

Posts: 572 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
<<snip>> and your vehicle thinks its smarter than you <<snip>>

That sums up ALL of what pisses me off about modern cars! The car is NOT smarter than me and has no way to determine what is "best" in each and every situation. Such things are seriously dangerous at times!

As to irritating things, I just had one mentioned above happen about 2 months ago. My 2013 VW Jetta needed a new battery, so I go to my local auto parts to buy one, and was informed the computer had to be "reset" to work with the new battery, and they didn't have the reset tool available at that time. I thought I was being pranked, went back home and looked it up, and lo-and-behold it was legit!

Had to take the car to a shop where they had the tool, pay more for the battery, plus $75.00 or so more to have it reprogrammed! Mad

I later figured out how I could have done it myself without reprogramming by simply keeping power to the cables via jumper cables from another car so mine never lost power, but it was too late by then. At least I'll know next time... if there IS a next time!

I made a cheater tool to keep power to the car while changing a battery. I took an old cigarette lighter charger cord and cut the device plug off. Wired in a 9v battery connector after making sure of the polarity. Plug it into a power port,done. If the vehicle requires a full 12v I’d probably try that trick with a couple lantern batteries, less amperage to arc if something slips during installation.

Usually that 9v is enough to keep the memory going in the computer systems, also keeps from having to reset the radio theft lockout and station preset.

Also an additional target of ire is to the GM engineer (alleged anyhow) that designed the program to illuminate the backup lights when the vehicle is shut off. Don’t know how many times in parking lots I’ve sat there like a dolt waiting for a car to back out of a parking space only to see the driver exit and walk away.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Using customers/buyers as beta testers.

The ridiculous prices of everything now from economy car to truck to performance cars. It’s just insane but part of that is on people. If they wouldn’t roll their asses into debt for 84 months, the prices would come down.

ADAS, of any kind. All you need is cruise control.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll bet a lot of people don't know what a cozy wing is.

We call 'em fly windows...for some reason or another.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post