SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toasters!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toasters! Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I got a 4-slice Cuisinart CPT-640 for the rental property (well, two of them) a couple years back, and when we stayed there with some friends everyone liked them so much that when our old toaster went bad we got one for home as well.

Toast performance has been very good, no service needed on any of the three. Features: 2x2 (four slices, two independently controlled sides) bagel setting, single slice function, etc.

Currently $80 at Amazon (list price: $145).

RE: why is this so hard

I worked at the GE Allentown housewares plant (sold to Black and Decker) for a while in the late '70s and worked with the toaster engineers frequently, getting new parts sourced and exploring ways to reduce costs. What the toaster does is heat full bore till it's done. How does it know when it's done? The secret really is in two parts: the controls and the sensor(s). Sensors track what the bread is actually doing and the controls know when to stop. Sounds simple, right?

The science (at least at the time) was that there were three phases of toasting a slice of bread.
  • The first phase, the heat is essentially pulling the moisture out of the bread and not heating it much. For thin bread slices this is very quick, but for thick bread, takes somewhat longer (water needs time to migrate out from the center of the slice.)

• Then, when most of the water is gone, the bread starts heating up. This is mostly radiative heating, so the starting color of the bread matters because dark colors (rye, e.g.) absorb heat faster (classic black body radiation.)

• Then, the bread starts to turn color. As the color darkens, this too accelerates heat transfer. The hope/plan is that the controls will detect when this has reached the precise hue that matches the customer's set preference, stop the heat and pop the toast up - too soon and the toast is too light, too late and the toast is overdone.

• (Well, there is a fourth phase but that involves smoke, fire alarms, and adrenaline...hopefully nobody goes there.)

TL: DR - The controls and sensors are what differentiate the pricey beasts from the 'affordable' ones. Anyone who thinks this is a simple problem, I suspect Black and Decker/Sunbeam/Cuisinart engineering personnel offices would like to talk with you. Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
All I can say is, if Appliance Brad can’t find a decent toaster, what hope is there for the rest of us?

Well, I have one:

Breville BGR820XL Smart Grill
www.amazon.com/dp/B003SIN0BC/r..._api_i_KcWHFbC0HM41Q

I’ve used it for years. It toasts everything well: 4 slices of most bread, bagels. Even Ritz crackers (to get them darker). Works well with dense breads that most toasters struggle with. Stood upright, it takes no more counter space than an ordinary 4-slice toaster.

A bit pricey for a toaster, but I have many other uses for it too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've got a Cuisinart, Model is on papers in a filing cabinet somewhere, that we've had for about 12-15 years. It works, not very exciting, but it does bagels, toast and weird (to me) things my wife buys that she toasts.

Nothing replaces those old 50s-early 70s toasters we had when I was younger (we always had GE). But, everything changes.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Well, I have one:

Breville BGR820XL Smart Grill
www.amazon.com/dp/B003SIN0BC/r..._api_i_KcWHFbC0HM41Q

A bit pricey for a toaster, but I have many other uses for it too.

I was so delighted when my $120 Breville toaster let the Magic Smoke out that I took it out back and put a .44 Spl or two through it.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same conversation could be had of coffee makers...

My 25 year old Krup was acting up, decided to shop for a new one... Yuk. Reviews were all mixed, looking at them in the store, they appeared extra cheap. Decided, half hour replacing a plastic tube (with copper tube) was time well spent.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy can openers and now toasters. I guess it is time to hit the garage sales! Maybe speed queen or waste king could get in the business.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There's always Ebay for "vintage toasters".

If you're not in a hurry, or needing a lot of toast quickly for a hungry horde, you can heat up a cast iron flat griddle. Add butter, melt it, and put the bread on the melted butter to toast. I have the same SmartGrill Mr PipeSmoker has and it works great for toasting bread on butter as I described.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
Same conversation could be had of coffee makers...

My 25 year old Krup was acting up, decided to shop for a new one... Yuk. Reviews were all mixed, looking at them in the store, they appeared extra cheap. Decided, half hour replacing a plastic tube (with copper tube) was time well spent.

I probably have the same model Krups and I dread if it ever dies. Best drip coffee maker I've ever owned.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Kenmore European Toaster Model 238-48339. Handles thick toast, has a frozen setting, handle has an assist to further lift the toast up for retrieval if needed. Close to 2 decades old now and still operating like a champ. Excellent on both sides of the bread with accurate light to dark settings. Can't ask for more. Big Grin

So old I couldn't find any decent pictures online. Just this from an old sales ad. Mine is the 4 slice job in the big picture.

Don't know what I'd do / get should this ever die. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had this $70 Cuisinart 4 slice toaster and it does a pretty good job......

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c...6018?keyword=toaster

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breville " a bit more " toaster.
Per America's Test Kitchen.

Bta720xl, on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Brevill...a-275333818741&psc=1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have the toaster oven version of the Breville, and we’re happy with it. Had it about 6 months.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I bought my Breville toaster oven about three years ago and couldn't be happier. Sure, it's a little pricey but worth every penny.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Brad,

You need to try this. I haven’t bought one yet, but I have had toast from one. It is without a doubt, the best toast I have ever had. Honest to God, it ruined toast for me, as this was a whole new experience.
Now, standard toasted bread seems dry. It’s like bread jerky. The Balmuda makes a nice medium rare to medium bread, seared just right on the outside.
That’s the best way I can describe it. This is on my Christmas list.

https://us.balmuda.com/collections/toaster

Mitsubishi makes a pretty great one from what I have read, but it only does one slice at a time. I also have never had toast from this so I can’t say if it’s good or not.
https://www.amazon.com/Mitsubi...timate/dp/B07PHLN9DD

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
$800+ Eek WTAF!!!

Realize it's commercial, but sheesh. Plus I've got to rewire for 208V....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
$800+ WTAF!!!

Realize it's commercial, but sheesh.

Not to drift the thread, but remember this whenever a complaint about the cost of eating out surfaces. If the toaster cost that much, imagine the cost of outfitting the entire kitchen. Wasn't too long ago that I was pricing $50,000 to $80,000 pizza ovens.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$800.00 !

I hope it has a 40 year warranty

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve stayed at a lot of hotels that use the above pictured $800 toaster, and have been unimpressed with its performance.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mitsubishi makes a pretty great one from what I have read, but it only does one slice at a time.

Yeah it is only 338 dollars. I guess the company had to cover the costs of retooling from fighter aircraft.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Only $291.60 on Amazon!

Mitsubishi Electric bread oven TO-ST1-T
https://a.co/d/dTBNjHZ

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post