SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The lack of IQ at the Costco fuel pumps
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The lack of IQ at the Costco fuel pumps Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
Can someone explain why people at the Costco gas lines think operating their pumps is akin to piloting the Space Shuttle? I topped off 2 gas vehicles tonight. Lines each trip, and that’s not usual as I go the last 45 minutes the gas lines are open. First trip, idiot after idiot, taking their sweet time, talking on the phone, no fucks given to the 8 vehicles in their line. I saw one guy, try 3-4 credit cards. It took him a full 5 minutes just to start pumping gas. 5 minutes. Then when he was done, he pulls the nozzle out and sprays fuel into the air and on the ground. Another was a lady right in front of me. She started pumping fuel before I did, or so she and I thought. I was already done, back in the car resetting the trip meter, ready to leave. She has her phone out touching it 5-6 times against the reader. Why use a got damn phone for this? A credit card is smaller, easier, and simpler. I’ve seen this 100 times where people try to pay with their phone and they need 5-6 attempts to get it to work. My credit card works the first try, every time. And you were standing there the entire time I was pumping gas, and you just figured out it wasn’t working after I got out of my car, unscrewed the cap, tapped the reader, selected 93 octane, pulled the hose with one arm behind my entire vehicle (drivers side pumps, the lines were even longer), insert, fuel, put the nozzle back into the pump, select no on receipt, and get “thanks for shopping at Costco”. All that and she never realized, and starts phone fucking the machine. For the love of humanity, it’s simply pumping fucking gas! She was at least 30 years old. A teenager, elderly, I’ve helped them before.

I’m baffled to what is so difficult about pumping got damn fuel at Costco. Over the years I’ve seen countless people have to go get the Costco fuel attendant. I just stare in amazement. Does someone tie your shoelaces for you too bitch? I just don’t understand. Costco is a membership thing, people know this. Costco is Visa only, and they know this. I’m not talking about people pulling in there on a road trip that have zero clue. These people have been there before. Nothing about their got damn fuel pumps are rocket science. I’m just in amazement of how utterly and completely stupid people are.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lol. Reminds me of a routine John Pinette did about ordering at McD's. Get outta the line.

This used to annoy me. Still does a bit on occasion. But someone gave me a nugget to ponder that changed my perspective. I feel blessed and thankful but for the grace of God I would be one of them.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm convinced there is an IQ suppression field that exists around COSTCOs. Driving through the parking lot and trying to navigate the aisles in the stores you are confronted by stupidity at ever turn.

Posts: 255 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week ,
Seven people refused to go to the open pump way up front
So I drove around all seven of them and started filling up nine minutes earlier.
Now
I am never in a hurry , I am retired ,
Basically just waiting to die.

But this b.s. of waiting for two other people to finish filling up before pulling forward is asinine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Patience and understanding at the pumps have become must-haves.

One day last summer I rolled in at the local fuel stop, stopping at the first (nearest) pump in the series instead of moving to the farthest one out. Why? My car's a diesel, and the "far" pump didn't have a diesel hose.

Fellow pulls in behind me, straight-up giving me the stinkeye, in a bit of a fit. I looked him in the eye, pointed at the badge on the trunk and clearly spoke, "diesel."

Fellow makes a face, pulls around me, and heads to the "far" pump. I

After a moment, I took a step toward him. "Hey, man, I wasn't trying to be a jerk with you. This car takes diesel, and that pump doesn't offer it. I apologize for coming off as rude."

He grinned and said, "it's okay, I've been in that situation with my own truck. I just didn't realize your car was a diesel." We had a good chat for a few minutes and all was well.

Patience and understanding... it's just fuel, man.

That said... Prefontaine, I applaud your rant! Seems everyone wants to do everything with their phones now, including using them for paying for things. I think it's nuts. The older I get, the more low-tech I find myself trying to be. Cash and card work nearly flawlessly. Phones and apps? Not so much.

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After having my credit card compromised many times over the years, and them constantly finding skimmers at pumps, paying by sticking in my credit cards at pumps is one thing I won’t do, unless there is absolutely no choice. I use my phone app or my phone to pay. Never had a problem or delayed anyone.

Posts: 3403 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

She has her phone out touching it 5-6 times against the reader. Why use a got damn phone for this? A credit card is smaller, easier, and simpler. I’ve seen this 100 times where people try to pay with their phone and they need 5-6 attempts to get it to work. My credit card works the first try, every time.
Gas pumps are notorious targets for got damn thieves who use "skimmers" to capture credit card information. Using a phone with Apple Pay (or equivalent) protects against this widespread type of got damn thievery.

Because of this, I always choose to use Apple Pay via the Watch or iPhone unless the physical card is the only payment method that is accepted.
Dwill104 posted essentially the same thing, while I was typing my reply. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Smartphones are making everyone way less smart these days.

I'm not sure sitting idling in a line of 25 cars is really worth that $1 savings or so per fill up.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
After having my credit card compromised many times over the years, and them constantly finding skimmers at pumps, paying by sticking in my credit cards at pumps is one thing I won’t do, unless there is absolutely no choice. I use my phone app or my phone to pay. Never had a problem or delayed anyone.

See here is the deal, I don’t give a flying fuck. That’s not directed at you, I’m talking in general. My credit card is protected. If it gets compromised, I call the cc company, explain, they cancel the card, and send a new one. They investigate, find the fraudulent charges, etc. So as a consumer I am protected. I use one CC card for groceries, gas, food, etc. That’s my Costco Visa. Then I have a separate one for all the bills on the house. I never use my debit card, for anything, but ATM withdrawals. So that ironclad protection is built into the cards themselves. The phone has more compromising data on it so I tend to secure it, do not carry it around like a pacifier, and it’s under lock and key when not on my person.

I literally cannot count at this point, because it’s in the hundreds, maybe 1000 times, where someone in a line ahead is futzing with their phone, trying to use phone pay. Do I think it’s the technology at fault? Not really, perhaps sometimes, it’s the user, layer 8. Dipshits.

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Smartphones are making everyone way less smart these days.

I'm not sure sitting idling in a line of 25 cars is really worth that $1 savings or so per fill up.

It was 6-8 cars in front of me each time last night. The cost is great, and cannot be beat, but it’s the fuel quality, that I’m after.

https://www.autolist.com/guides/top-tier-gas

https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/

Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
I love it when I happen to pull into a pump at the same time as the person in front of me. My challenge to myself is to be back in my car pulling away before the other person starts pumping gas. I've accomplished it more times than not.

As for paying with your phone, my 16 year old son (the kind who knows everything) was getting ready for work yesterday and I saw him leave his wallet on the bathroom counter. I questioned him about it, and he replied that everything he needs is on his phone. At lunch that day his lawn care crew stopped to eat at some place that didn't have the credit card reader that allows phone transactions. Guess who got to eat gas station nachos from across the street?

Posts: 941 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can someone explain why people at the Costco gas lines think operating their pumps is akin to piloting the Space Shuttle? I topped off 2 gas vehicles tonight. Lines each trip, and that’s not usual as I go the last 45 minutes the gas lines are open. First trip, idiot after idiot, taking their sweet time, talking on the phone, no fucks given to the 8 vehicles in their line. I saw one guy, try 3-4 credit cards. It took him a full 5 minutes just to start pumping gas. 5 minutes. Then when he was done, he pulls the nozzle out and sprays fuel into the air and on the ground. Another was a lady right in front of me. She started pumping fuel before I did, or so she and I thought. I was already done, back in the car resetting the trip meter, ready to leave. She has her phone out touching it 5-6 times against the reader. Why use a got damn phone for this? A credit card is smaller, easier, and simpler. I’ve seen this 100 times where people try to pay with their phone and they need 5-6 attempts to get it to work. My credit card works the first try, every time. And you were standing there the entire time I was pumping gas, and you just figured out it wasn’t working after I got out of my car, unscrewed the cap, tapped the reader, selected 93 octane, pulled the hose with one arm behind my entire vehicle (drivers side pumps, the lines were even longer), insert, fuel, put the nozzle back into the pump, select no on receipt, and get “thanks for shopping at Costco”. All that and she never realized, and starts phone fucking the machine. For the love of humanity, it’s simply pumping fucking gas! She was at least 30 years old. A teenager, elderly, I’ve helped them before.

I’m baffled to what is so difficult about pumping got damn fuel at Costco. Over the years I’ve seen countless people have to go get the Costco fuel attendant. I just stare in amazement. Does someone tie your shoelaces for you too bitch? I just don’t understand. Costco is a membership thing, people know this. Costco is Visa only, and they know this. I’m not talking about people pulling in there on a road trip that have zero clue. These people have been there before. Nothing about their got damn fuel pumps are rocket science. I’m just in amazement of how utterly and completely stupid people are.

Now you understand all the moaning how EV's are "better" because "you don't have to go to a gas station". Apparently, filling up with gas is HARD. Big Grin

Posts: 138 | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Good rant on people, it's interesting that no matter where you go across the country, the same problem of people who can't figure out, or won't use the pumps on the opposite side of the line are similar. I would almost always go to the opposite side filler since there was no line, the hoses at Costco are super long for this reason.

Lucky for us WaWa is close to the home, and the price for fuel is as good as Costco, and outside of Hurricanes or some other reason, you don't get stuck in a waiting line.

Oh forgot, I'm a Apple Pay person when it comes to fuel pumps, watch or phone and for the most part it's very quick and secure, as long as the receiver on the pump works, which in more than a few cases I've found they won't work, then you are stuck getting the wallet out. Works great on the motorcycle with the iWatch....

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Gas pumps are notorious targets for got damn thieves who use "skimmers" to capture credit card information.

Question, doesn't the "Tap to Pay" avoid the chance of "skimmers" at Gas Pumps ?

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite gas pump dick move is filling up your tank from fume level and leaving your hoopty parked at the pump while you casually stroll inside the store. Then this excellent example of courtesy and manners wanders aimlessly around, scooping up beer, chips and other crap before approaching the cashier and requesting lotto scratchers and other behind the counter stuff, which the clerk has no clue as to where they are located. After several refused credit cards and digging through all his pockets for change, our hero manages to complete this complex transaction. Now he strolls in a relaxed manner back to his primered out Ford Fiesta and proceeds to carefully store all his treasures, locate his keys, reset his trip meters and adjust his seat belt carefully for maximum safety. He then grinds the starter into life, fogs the pump island into zero visibility with a cloud of burning oil and rockets off.
Meanwhile, I have run out gas during the wait and rely on other outraged gas pumpers to push me up to the pump.
Credit card or phone apps at the pump? Lesser of two evils!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by echidna:

Now you understand all the moaning how EV's are "better" because "you don't have to go to a gas station". Apparently, filling up with gas is HARD. Big Grin

What is funny is I’ve been dailying an electric car since Feb 2014. That thing remains the daily toaster. Charge it in my garage. Well I did, now it’s under the carport and I have to use an extension hose that I had to purchase to make the cable longer as the L2 charger is on the wall right next to the breaker box. It is easier, as I don’t have to deal with dipshits but I love using gas for fun/leisure as a certified gearhead.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Gas pumps are notorious targets for got damn thieves who use "skimmers" to capture credit card information.
Question, doesn't the "Tap to Pay" avoid the chance of "skimmers" at Gas Pumps ?
I believe that you are correct, but some cards do not support "Tap to Pay."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Sometime you gotta just roll with it and embrace the low IQ...Enjoy! Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
and them constantly finding skimmers at pumps, paying

That's why I get a Costco shoppers card, and use it at the pumps instead of a c.c.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

See here is the deal, I don’t give a flying fuck. That’s not directed at you, I’m talking in general. My credit card is protected. If it gets compromised, I call the cc company, explain, they cancel the card, and send a new one. They investigate, find the fraudulent charges, etc. So as a consumer I am protected. I use one CC card for groceries, gas, food, etc. That’s my Costco Visa. Then I have a separate one for all the bills on the house. I never use my debit card, for anything, but ATM withdrawals. So that ironclad protection is built into the cards themselves. The phone has more compromising data on it so I tend to secure it, do not carry it around like a pacifier, and it’s under lock and key when not on my person.

I literally cannot count at this point, because it’s in the hundreds, maybe 1000 times, where someone in a line ahead is futzing with their phone, trying to use phone pay. Do I think it’s the technology at fault? Not really, perhaps sometimes, it’s the user, layer 8. Dipshits.

I find this fascinating. Not trying to be flippant; I've jusst never heard of this.

Posts: 3005 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post