SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Advice v. Advise
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice v. Advise Login/Join 
posted
Sorry. It's the english major coming out in me. "Advice" is an noun, as in "I am seeking advice." The c is pronounced with an 's' sound. "Advise" is a verb, as in "I will advise you." The s is pronounced with a 'z' sound.

Thank you. Carry on.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 234 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems somewhat of an adverse topic

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Preach it, 7iron.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of one of my biggest pet peeves, people who interchange sell and sale.

Example:

I have this item for sell.

I'm looking to sale this item.

Drives me insane whenever I see it.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
It's clothes, not cloths. Muzzle Brake, not muzzle break. Cars have brakes, not breaks. Voila! Not Walla! Per se, not per say. Lose, not loose. Regardless, not irregardless. Could have, not could of. By accident, not on accident.

And so on... ad infinitum

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
You live "on" an island, not "in" island.
e.g. (or is it i.e.?) You live "on" the island of Oahu not "in" Oahu. You live "on" the island of Nantucket not "in" Nantucket.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
e.g. = exempli gratia = Latin for "for example"

i.e. = id est = Latin for "that is"; use as a substitute for "in other words"

Both should have commas after them when used.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
It's clothes, not cloths. Muzzle Brake, not muzzle break. Cars have brakes, not breaks. Voila! Not Walla! Per se, not per say. Lose, not loose. Regardless, not irregardless. Could have, not could of. By accident, not on accident.

And so on... ad infinitum

Well, I'd like to point out that cars definitely have have breaks if you don't step on the brakes fast enough. Razz

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I "could care less".....
Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I "could care less".....
Razz

Really?

I couldn't care less.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
OP said
quote:
"Advice" is an noun,

"a noun " would be more better

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"a noun" absolutely correct. Damn my fat fingers!

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 234 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
And you probably don’t have an “inside the wasteband holster”.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I need this coffee mug:
Grammar Coffee Mug

Sorry I can't post a pic of it. If someone can and will post the pic, that'd be awesome.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rebut10:
You live "on" an island, not "in" island.
e.g. (or is it i.e.?) You live "on" the island of Oahu not "in" Oahu. You live "on" the island of Nantucket not "in" Nantucket.

I see your point on Oahu since the island has different cities. But Nantucket is a town and an island. I have friends that live in Nantucket. There also once was a man from Nantucket.

By the way, only loosers don’t know these grammar rules. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7iron:

The c is pronounced with an 's' sound. "Advise" is a verb, as in "I will advise you." The s is pronounced with a 'z' sound.
The one with an 's' is pronounced as if it did not have an 's' and the one without the 's' is pronounced as if it did have an 's'. OK, got it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Aisle - isle

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Coming from a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) country, I love English lessons. They keep me on my toes. Seriously. That's why I hate it when I make grammar or vocabulary mistakes in my posting.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Ordnance: weaponry. Ordinance: regulation.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post