SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Advice v. Advise
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice v. Advise Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
OJ Simpson's son came up to him in 1994 and asked if he could help with the son's math homework.

OJ said "Axe your mother."

...And the rest is history.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Dang, this is a tough road to hoe....

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
And, that "could of" is a huge pet peeve of mine that annoys the heck out of me, whenever I see it written.

Concur.

"Try and" vs. "try to" also rubs my fur the wrong way.

Both trys are acceptable. 'Try to' should go in your letter to the boss, 'try and' you can use in more informal speech or communication.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vice vs vise. Often the former is used when talking about a benchtop tool.

I overheard at the deli counter at one of the local granolahead grocery stores a woman referring to the "artesian" cheese in the case.

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Homophones the bane of everyone, not just people learning English as a second language. Or as my old English teacher from high school would say, “There, their, they’re” are you feeling better?

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
{swoooosh}
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I "could care less".....
Razz

Really?

I couldn't care less.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Eggs have yolks, not yokes.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Oh, we’re still doing these?

My pet peeve has already been mentioned. The ‘ve.
I hate reading reports with could of, should of, would of.

My latest aggravation is sale and sell.

I would like to sale something.

or

I have this for sell.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This whole thread is mind bottling.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post