SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Advice v. Advise
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice v. Advise Login/Join 
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Tax return, the forms you fill out and send in, tax refund, the amount of your money you get back when .gov takes too much.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Lose, not loose.

Unless the nut is not missing, but is not tight.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
e.g. = exempli gratia = Latin for "for example"

i.e. = id est = Latin for "that is"; use as a substitute for "in other words"

Both should have commas after them when used.

In keeping with the lighted nature of OP's gripe (as I perceived it), I was joking, which is why I started with "for example". Needing to follow them with a comma was good info though. Thank you.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1236 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by rebut10:
You live "on" an island, not "in" island.
e.g. (or is it i.e.?) You live "on" the island of Oahu not "in" Oahu. You live "on" the island of Nantucket not "in" Nantucket.

I see your point on Oahu since the island has different cities. But Nantucket is a town and an island. I have friends that live in Nantucket. There also once was a man from Nantucket.

By the way, only loosers don’t know these grammar rules. Big Grin

You're right Nantucket was a poor choice as an example. Thanks.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1236 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Toe the line, not tow the line.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You also do not pass mustard no matter how that ducktails with what you think you mean.

Unless you are ill of course.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When I was teaching investigative report writing long ago I chalked this on the board as an example of why dictionaries were necessary to check meanings:
“Discreet: cautious, reserved.”
“Discrete: separate, distinct.”

But I don’t know how many people use either word today.

“Could of done …,” rather than “could have done …,” however, is extremely common. It evidently results from people writing what “could’ve” sounds like rather than the two words the contraction actually consists of.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ "Discreet" is use very often. If you've ever used PayPal, especially for anything gun related, you would know. Wink

And, that "could of" is a huge pet peeve of mine that annoys the heck out of me, whenever I see it written.

Edited for spelling error.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looser than what? A tight pair of shoes or a pair of jockey shorts or looser than a goose or what?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Then, on other hand, "canceled" and "cancelled", while spelled differently, have the same meaning, and are both correct. Smile

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Then, on other hand, "canceled" and "cancelled", while spelled differently, have the same meaning, and are both correct.
A similar pair, "dialed" and "dialled." Both forms are acceptable, but the single 'l' spelling is preferred for American usage, and the double 'll' spelling is the British preference. My (American) spell checker flags the double 'll' spelling.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A thing or an act?

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ "Discreet" is use very often. If you've ever used PayPal, especially for anything gun related, you would know. Wink

And, that "could of" is a huge pet peeve of mine that annoys the heck out of me, whenever I see it written.

Edited for spelling error.

It's also very much used in the Electronics world.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Calvary = Where Jesus Christ was crucified.
Cavalry = Mounted troops useful for screening, reconnaissance, as a quick response force, and for exploiting breaches in the enemy lines.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You defuse a situation, not diffuse it.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Looser than what? A tight pair of shoes or a pair of jockey shorts or looser than a goose or what?

The looser at the Men's Wearhouse sold me pants that were too lose.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
You defuse a situation, not diffuse it.

I can make a case for "diffuse" a situation. If you scatter everyone in a situation, tension immediately goes down. Razz

Q

coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Capital is the city that is the center of government. Capitol refers to the building itself.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Pasture vs Pasteurize.

I was in the grocery this afternoon and found a big pile of 1 dozen carton eggs.

The sign read "Pasture Raise Eggs" yes, a small error of the sign maker.

The carton label read "Equally Yolked Pasture Raised Eggs". Equally Yolked is the brand name.

A woman wandered up to the selection as I was grabbing one.

She frowned and asked me "Why would they pasteurize eggs?

I replied "They don't. The eggs are from chickens that roam a pasture. That's arguably better than cage raised chickens laying eggs".

She asked again WHY do they pasteurize their eggs?

I explained to again, rewording my answer. Pasture is a grassy field where various animals eat the grass. Pasteurize is to heat milk when bottling to supposedly make it safer for us to drink.

Woman just could not comprehend the difference between Pasture and Pasteurize as well as having the reading comprehension to grasp it.

I just smiled and wandered off.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Concur.

"Try and" vs. "try to" also rubs my fur the wrong way.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post