SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Local Toyota dealer earns “Stealership” name
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local Toyota dealer earns “Stealership” name Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Take the truck in for two recalls. They call and claim the check engine light is unrelated (funny, exact same symptoms) but they’ll need $100 to run the diagnostic. How do they know the code is unrelated if they haven’t run the diagnostic? Oh and they try to hit me with the cabin air filter BS too. There’s a reason I don’t use their service department. Hopefully they don’t let the same pigpen in the truck as the last time I had the truck there. It took days and lots of febreeze to get the BO/toxic waste funk out.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s why I traded a nearly new RAV4 (pretty good car other than my warranty issue) for a Subaru. Toyota dealers have lost my business for a while. Call it a timeout. Maybe forever.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Mine once took care of a recall and as a “favor” gave my truck a “free” look-over where they found almost $2k worth of work they suggested I have them do, such as the brakes with just 20k miles service life left.

I thanked them and pointed out that 20k meant years to go for me. When it was 10 yrs old I sold it with 70k and those original brakes were still good then.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My FIL got similar taking their Flex in for a recall.
Turned into a $2k day.

Repairs for the backup camera & a few other things I can't recall.
Hoping they didn't charge him labor for the system update, which can be end-user done.

Then it needed tires, too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Oh how I love messing with them (learned it from my mom)

What is the code, I'll look it up.
Send me a cell phone pic of the cabin filter, I just changed it and there might be a deeper issue.

My favorite though was when mom (oh, she used to manage a Saturn dealership and ended many scrupulous interactions by summarily firing mechanics) took my suburban in for an oil change and they wanted to charge her $50 to change our the air filter.

The K&N air filter mind you.

She strung them along until they got to the point of saying "that air filter requires special disposal fees. The new filter is $20 and test pays for disposing of the hazmat"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
When I go get the code read for FREE if it comes back as the recall you guys may be reading about me in the freakin news.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I bought a pretty good code reader not to long ago. At least I think it’s pretty good, $250+ or so as I recall.

I hardly ever go to the dealership, if I do take something it, it’s the no-namer shop with a good reputation.

I realize recalls are different, have to go to the dealership.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
This just got interesting. Phone call from asshole at the service desk was at 2pm. I had a text at 1:30pm from the mechanic that I hadn’t seen until just now. He linked a walkthrough video of the inspection, gave the error codes and what they mean. Two of three codes are the recall, third goes away when the recall is fixed and the codes cleared. They’re not going to like me when I’m done.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Ha! Got one better than that.

Before I retired I was a dealership parts counter man, parts manager and a couple of times acted as the service manager in my 47 years in the business.

I changed jobs nine years previous to my retirement. About three or four months into the new job my truck started throwing a code and a pronounced surging at highway speeds. While it was out of the base warranty it was under a GM extended warranty, at that point about 25k left on it.

Had it wrote up for SES light on and surging 4th gear and converter clutch locked up. First thing out of the gate the lead service advisor tells me “we need to flush your injection system before we start due to the mileage.” I knew better than that so I said “since when does GMPP pay for that under my hundred dollar deductible?” His reply was “they don’t, that is owner responsibility.”

So I said “show me in the policies and procedures manual that I am required to pay for a third
party flush service? I’m authorizing the hundred dollar deductible only and nothing else.” Final diagnosis, failed camshaft and distributor, 4.3 V6 engine, nothing injector related.

He and I definitely got off on the wrong foot and pretty much stayed that way until he left that store.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's why I love my last service person. I brought in my car for an intermittent problem. They kept it for a week while giving me a loaner car. They finally called me and said they couldn't replicate the problem and they tried it every day.

When I came back to pick it up, I asked how much and he said no charge since they couldn't find the problem. It didn't reappear either.

He was the reason that when it came time to buy a second car, I stuck with the same brand - Lexus.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you had valid recalls on the vehicle, they will HAVE to scan to determine if something is out of compliance. Not doing the scan first really raises levels of concern. How would they even know it isn't related if they didn't scan?

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Never pay the diagnostic charge if there’s a recall. I had some issues I delayed fixing and they diagnosed without me saying a word when I was in for recalls. But as you said they are all thieves. They gave me an estimate for $2000 worth of work, none of which was needed. Seriously blatant lies. Even said gas tank straps were rusted and my tank could fall off any second. At home I climbed under and all was shiny stainless steel. Not a spot of rust. They wanted $90 for 4 plastic clips for the underside shroud. I looked and none were missing. I think they wanted $300 to “clean up” the rusty drums on rear brakes. I put new drums on for less than $100. This was when I had my Matrix. Sickening really.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
is there a code reader for Toyotas for owner use that the forum recommends?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
is there a code reader for Toyotas for owner use that the forum recommends?

Any OBD II scanner should work.

I have a FIXD plug in that works with an app on my phone, used it a while back to scan my neighbor's Camry. It also works on everything domestic.

I think it cost like $60 then around $50 for the app service.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
OBD II scanner

Thanks!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
They’re not clearing the third code (small leak evap system). It’s a better than average chance it’s the gas cap. I’ve already bought a new aftermarket cap. When I get the truck tomorrow I’ll switch caps and have the code cleared at the autozone less than a mile down the road. If that’s not the problem it sure won’t be fixed by those assholes. I’ll wrap the whole fucking system in duct tape before I let them overcharge and up sell me a tons of bullshit.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had a dealer suggest new wipers and air filters once when I had replaced all of those maintenance items within the last month. Not to mention about $500 in other "maintenance" work. I had even bought the wiper inserts from their parts department. I got the service manager over to the counter and read him the riot act, but he wasn't too ashamed.

I never use dealer service, but in that case, I had a recall item. They only confirmed my suspicions about their ethics and practices.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky I'm friendly with my service writer. He puts things through as warranty that shouldn't be for me and has never once suggested any add ons.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my mind, the word "Stealership" brings up the name of our local Harley Davidson Motorcycle dealer.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why do you guys even bother? They’re all in the business of fleecing customers that don’t know any better. Just find a local independent mechanic you can trust not to be constantly trying to find things that don’t need fixing.

My favorite thing about dealerships, and we went through this when purchasing my wife’s Honda Odyssey, is how the salespeople extol the virtues of said vehicle ad nauseam until you agree to purchase and the issue of warranties come up and suddenly the greatest vehicle ever built becomes the biggest piece of shit in the world that will fall apart the second you drive off the lot unless you have all their extended warranties! Roll Eyes

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post