SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Local Toyota dealer earns “Stealership” name
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local Toyota dealer earns “Stealership” name Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My '17 Civic Si tells you what do service and when. So I just do what it says, exactly, and tell the dealer to only do what the car says. I always refuse the overpriced cabin air filter and buy the part and do it myself. 5 minute job but they will imply it takes a half hour or some silly time.

I like this a lot better than in the past when dealers would always recommend more frequent intervals (usually the "severe duty" schedule in the service schedule or a conglomeration of the most frequent intervals across all car models they sell), replacement of things like differential gear oil every time the schedule said to "inspect", and "packages" of stuff at 15K/30K/45K/60K/etc with unnecessary items not in the schedule, and things missing that ARE in the schedule. I always pulled out the schedule and showed them to do what it says and made reasonable decisions for things that took some judgment.

Usually I let it slip that I've worked in the auto and powertrain manufacturing business most of my career and and I know a few things about how engines work, how they are built, and how they are serviced. Usually after a few attempts to upsell me on things they get the idea that I'm not someone who's going to play their games and they stop trying. The whole "flush" thing seems to have died down. One writer said I needed to do that for something (might have been brake fluid which the car maintenance minder did say was time to replace) but after that time they haven't said anything about flushes.

And when the "finance manager" tries to sell me extended warranties I often say, "thanks for telling me how unreliable this car is, I expect a car to be trouble free for 100K miles except for normal service so if this car might need this much work between 36K and 60K I don't want to buy it and will get something reliable." They hate that.

Posts: 3555 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
And when the "finance manager" tries to sell me extended warranties I often say, "thanks for telling me how unreliable this car is, I expect a car to be trouble free for 100K miles except for normal service so if this car might need this much work between 36K and 60K I don't want to buy it and will get something reliable." They hate that.

You were nicer than I was. When the Toyota guy tried to sell me an extended, I told him, "so you're saying this is a piece of shit? I mean, not that a car salesman would ever lie..." He was not amused Big Grin

Posts: 11826 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Quickest way for a dealership or independent shop to get on my bad side is with aftermarket flush services. Last dealership I was at drank the Kool Aid on that. Of course changing the service advisors to 100% commission didn’t help either, they’d sell anything to make a buck.

When a service writer tries pushing those services I tell them that we will get along just fine as long as they don’t try to sell me on those. And if they insist I say “Show me in the owners manual or a factory TSB, not the bulletins that your flush company sends out.”

That usually ends the spiel.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 7007 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

Went through that at a Ford dealership. I stopped that jackwagon and had him follow me out to the floor where, in a loud voice, I asked the salesman how he could ethically sell me a vehicle they knew would break right after the warranty period ended. Salesman was not too happy and got me a different financial guy.

Second jackwagon tried to slip the additional warranty in without telling me. Guess he thought I wouldn't actually read through everything?

As I was walking out (without the car), I again told the salesman in a loud voice so all other customers could hear; what the second guy just tried and that is why the commission was lost.

I do not like them at all.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 13239 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post