SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toilet paper hoarding
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet paper hoarding Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Something I read following shortages of various products due to one of our recent hurricanes was an opinion piece criticizing policies designed to prevent price gouging. The author pointed out that price caps imposed by the government or individual companies actually made shortages more likely due to several factors.

First is that when people know prices will rise as a result of something like a hurricane, they are more likely to keep that in mind next time and prepare in advance rather than waiting until the last moment when many others are lining up to find and buy. Being gouged a few times will serve as a spur—to some people at least—to not let it happen again.

Second, if they do wait, higher prices will discourage people from buying more than they believe is reasonably necessary. If TP is going for $5 a roll, they’re unlikely to load up a shopping cart with a six month supply. That means the supplies that are available will last longer.

And then there is the effect on the vendors. If a seller knows he can get more than the normal price for something, he’s more likely to anticipate the spike in demand and be willing to spend the money and effort necessary to lay in a larger than normal supply. Or the vendor may decide to keep prices at the normal level as a gesture that will be appreciated by the public. Even if that doesn’t help limit shortages, it allows the free market to operate without unnecessary governmental interference.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
For $20 you can eliminate your TP costs

Happy Bottom Portable Bidet

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at alternatives to toilet paper.

There used to be the Sears catalog, leaves, corn cobs, or news print as alternatives.

I have been using the comic section from the Sunday paper and now my ass looks funny.

I generally buy my TP from Costco.com so I only have to move it from the front door to inside the house. I might buy three cases in an entire year.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm checking out of the Residence Inn in Midland. I think I'll clean out the bathroom and raid the housekeeping cart!

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I'm checking out of the Residence Inn in Midland. I think I'll clean out the bathroom and raid the housekeeping cart!

Don’t do it. TP theft is now a minimum sentence of 10 years in prison.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

Don’t do it. TP theft is now a minimum sentence of 10 years in prison.

And with no access to TP or bidets.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Had to go to Costco today...No toilet paper.

Plenty of water though with a 5 case limit.
They had kleenex, flushable wipes, paper towels. But no toilet paper.

Plenty of canned goods, dry goods, foodstuffs, etc. But no toilet paper.

The psychology really just baffles me. Is this really peoples' #1 concern right now? The whole thing is just bizarre.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Good grief

I doubt many people are hoarding or stockpiling TP. Probably all that's happened is a number of people did what my wife and I did: When the current package gets to about the half-way point we buy another. This time, because of the remote possibility we could see travel restrictions and supply chain disruptions like they did in China, we bought two packs instead of one.

Nope. It’s panic hoarding as been reported in the news. Normally, I don’t mind free market action except when everybody else is being stupid.

Some years back, people panic bought rice. A 50 lb bag of premium jasmine scented rice pre-panic buying sold for $15. During the panic buying and shelves were empty, the price spiked up to $45 /$50 a bag. Which is all well and good except after the supply and demand had returned to normal, prices never went below $35 again. The sellers figured there was a new floor at which demand isn’t price sensitive.

Rice is affected right now also.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
maybe it's not for personal use, it's for resale. note to self: check ebay for toilet paper.

people are already selling small bottles of hand sanitizer for $5-$20 on craigslist.

or people do it for shits and giggles.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’ll trade a case of toilet paper, a can of Lysol and 2 bottles of hand sanitizer for a ‘69 Pontiac GTO. Must be in excellent running condition.

I’m feeling generous, I’ll even toss in a palm full of 9MM 124 grain.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
note to self: check ebay for toilet paper.

Don't do it. It's there from $100 a case to $25 for a 9 pack to $10,000 for a Lifetime Supply.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
$10,000 for a LIFETIME-SUPPLY

36 rolls is a lifetime supply?
Oh, wait; that’s if the virus kills us by next summer. Okay, then.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Had to go to Costco today...No toilet paper.

Plenty of water though with a 5 case limit.
They had kleenex, flushable wipes, paper towels. But no toilet paper.

Plenty of canned goods, dry goods, foodstuffs, etc. But no toilet paper.

The psychology really just baffles me. Is this really peoples' #1 concern right now? The whole thing is just bizarre.

It's a Charmin thing. Since Costco's only name brand is Charmin, that is the problem. Charmin may even make Kirkland (my guess) with the scraps that fell on the floor from making Charmin. Big Grin Big Grin

I went to my local Publix supermarket today and looked at the toilet paper aisle, none was on sale, and every variety of Charmin was an empty shelf (I think bounty paper towels also), BUT they had mostly fully stocked all of the other brands of toilet paper like Quilted Northern and not just the junk brands like Scott.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Y’all might check out the fairly obscure brand John Wayne Toilet Paper.

It’s rough, it’s tough, and it doesn’t take **** from anyone.

But seriously, just go to Amazon dot com and search for Hillary Toilet Paper as well as obama toilet paper. I would be happy to wipe my butt with hillary’s face. Or obamas.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Y’all might check out the fairly obscure brand John Wayne Toilet Paper.

It’s rough, it’s tough, and it doesn’t take **** from anyone.

I believe that toilet paper has another name: Scott

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Something I read following shortages of various products due to one of our recent hurricanes was an opinion piece criticizing policies designed to prevent price gouging. The author pointed out that price caps imposed by the government or individual companies actually made shortages more likely due to several factors.

First is that when people know prices will rise as a result of something like a hurricane, they are more likely to keep that in mind next time and prepare in advance rather than waiting until the last moment when many others are lining up to find and buy. Being gouged a few times will serve as a spur—to some people at least—to not let it happen again.

Second, if they do wait, higher prices will discourage people from buying more than they believe is reasonably necessary. If TP is going for $5 a roll, they’re unlikely to load up a shopping cart with a six month supply. That means the supplies that are available will last longer.

And then there is the effect on the vendors. If a seller knows he can get more than the normal price for something, he’s more likely to anticipate the spike in demand and be willing to spend the money and effort necessary to lay in a larger than normal supply. Or the vendor may decide to keep prices at the normal level as a gesture that will be appreciated by the public. Even if that doesn’t help limit shortages, it allows the free market to operate without unnecessary governmental interference.

Great points. I’ve never understood the sentiment of punishing so-called price gougers. Whenever I’ve expressed this, I seem to get flamed.

Consider the hurricane in Houston. I live in Utah, with a semi truck. I could have bought up our surplus generators (at retail), and probably could have gotten a hundred on the truck. Then two days to drive them there, $1000 in fuel, another $1000 in overhead. Probably days to get them sold. Going home would be empty, so tack on another $2,000 in transportation cost. Add in the opportunity cost of suspending my normal operations, the risk involved, and suddenly doubling the cost of the generators is just doing ok, certainly not making a killing.

Many say that it is a crime to do this. I saw politicians saying you would be arrested. Therefore, I just pass on the whole idea, and the supply of generators in the disaster zone remained constrained. There’s no incentive for anybody to add to the supply if prices are fixed to pre-disaster levels because supplier costs are way higher during the emergency. It’s not like I could go buy them at wholesale and wait on normal shipping. So shortages remain more acute than they need be because I’m not willing to incur the risk.

This doesn’t include people who purposefully hoard the local supply with the intention of gouging their neighbors. That’s a different matter entirely, because these types are acting as an artificial middle man.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder how many of y'all disparaging people like us for some mild prepping have fifteen bazillion rounds of ammo stockpiled? Y'know, just in case the government suspends the 2nd Amendment or closes down all the ammo factories or something? More than a few, I suspect.

Disparage it? No way man. I support and encourage it. It adds to the countrys resiliency and we all should do our part and prepare. I also have the brazillion rounds of ammo as well in case that's a thing. If more people do it we will all be better off to any possible supply chain disruptions. Wars, for those not paying attention, come with brutal and surprisingly shocking suddenness. Buy cheap stock deep in times of peace and harmony when there is not need and you won't have to be a beggar when it gets critical. You can be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Bravo on getting it figured out.

Please, all of us need to continue the practice.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
There used to be the Sears catalog, leaves, corn cobs, or news print as alternatives.

It didn't seem so bad back then, but with 50 years of 2 ply quilted supersoft usage broken only by a couple years of military non 2 ply, I can't imagine what going back to the Sears Catalog or Yellow pages would be like.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Excellent point, sigcrazy7, that I hadn’t thought of and I don’t recall having been mentioned in that article: If vendors can charge what the market will bear, it’s much more likely they will make a trip to pick up merchandise that’s not available locally. And ultimately, what is better for the desperate consumer? To be able to buy a necessity at an inflated price, or not to be able to buy it at all?

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
when the TP is gone there's socks...

Hahaha. Smile

And also doggie style: Drag your ass across the yard.

My cat does the same thing.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post