SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Southwest Airlines Flight Attendants Don't Want To Serve Alcohol
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southwest Airlines Flight Attendants Don't Want To Serve Alcohol Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted
I did a brief search and it looks like only 2 U.S. Airlines don't serve alcohol right now, Southwest and American.

I fly at least 4 flights a year, frequently 6 and haven't seen a single incident of this happening.

I've got to feel it's just Flight Attendants looking to do less work. As a side note, I'll say that on all the flights I'm on, I've yet to see a Flight Attendant work more than half of the time we're in the air. And that goes for the 20+ years before now when I flew around 5 times a month all year every year.

If people want to get a buzz they'll do it in the bars in the airport and you'll still have drunks passengers on board.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/n...16.&text=%E2%80%9CIt's%20not%20a%20forever%20request,t%20serve%20alcohol%20aboard%20aircraft.

Southwest Airlines will sell alcohol on flights again
The airline stopped serving alcohol last March after several violent incidents during flights.

The President of the Transport Workers Union, which represents Southwest Airlines flight attendants, says they’re not happy about the airline’s decision to sell alcohol on flights starting February 16.

“We’ve had flight attendants grabbed by the wrists. We’ve had flight attendants just be outright assaulted with punches, repeated punches. We’ve had flight attendants deal with a lot of microaggressions that never even gets reported,” said Montgomery.

Last year on a flight headed to San Diego, a flight attendant had two teeth knocked out after a passenger punched her.

Montgomery says the temporary ban on alcohol sales gave flight attendants some hope that they’d be safer while working during the pandemic.

“It’s not a forever request that we don’t serve alcohol aboard aircraft. It’s while the mask mandate is in place and also while the level of assaults is continuing to increase,” said Montgomery.

Southwest released a statement about its decision, saying in part:

“Customers have expressed a desire for more beverage options, so we’re delighted to restore additional on-board offerings as a part of the Southwest Hospitality that our customers know and love,” - Tony Roach, Vice President Customer Experience and Customer Relations.”

Montgomery says the union also asked the airline to place security guards at the gates to intervene with people who may be intoxicated before they board the plane.

She also says flight attendants do have the authority to stop serving alcohol if they believe the person has had too much to drink and they will do that to keep the environment safe in the air.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Southwest Airlines Flight Attendants Don't Want To Serve Alcohol

They can learn to code...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have unused SWA free drink coupons that are probably 15 years old. They used to give them away like candy.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I thought Southwest was non-union?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I thought Southwest was non-union?

Evidently not.

And the Union saying "it's not a forever request" with respect to serving alcohol, they are tying it to Mask Mandates on Airlines which could very well go on for a long, long time.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I fly at least 4 flights a year, frequently 6 and haven't seen a single incident of this happening.
If you fly more often you'll likely see drunk & disorderly especially if you fly longer flights. However, the assaulting flight attendants seems to remain rare enough that it still makes the news.

I used to get the highest tier frequent flyer status by May so I've:
  • seen drunk & disorderly get cut off
  • seen drunk & disorderly get tossed off the plane before the boarding door closes
  • I've heard the order to remain seated when plane lands and the LEOs board to haul someone off.
    quote:
    We’ve had flight attendants deal with a lot of microaggressions that never even gets reported,” said Montgomery.
    Microaggressions sounds code for being a whinny crybaby and/or:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    probably a good thing
    I don't have a cut
    posted Hide Post
    I know they were serving alcohol the last flight I took on American in November. After searching, they only stopped serving alcohol in the main cabin. First Class can still get hammered imbibe.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Buck Sexton has pointed out that people drink any beverage on a plane because it's the only time they can remove the stupid mask. I wonder if the airlines have figured that out.

I also wonder if Secretary of Transportation is still on maternity leave. I'm not holding my breath for him to end the mask mandate.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dances With
    Tornados
    posted Hide Post
    Well duh! Of course they don't want to serve alcohol!!!

They don't want to share, they want to keep it all for themselves.

The grapevine says if you work as a Flight Attendant at Southwest, you'd drink too. Can you blame them?

At least, that's the way I heard it.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    American Airlines does indeed have alcohol in First Class Only.

Posts: 511 | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Without saying too much it's not the FA's that are against the booze, it's their union. And let's just say their union leadership has been going a bit rogue lately to the chagrin of many(most) hard-working stews. The pandemic has unfortunately exacerbated a culture shift that has been slowly taking shape at SWA the last few years or so. No one is happy about it but it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sourdough44
    posted Hide Post
    It’s true, bad behavior on planes can be alcohol fueled, but that’s still a rarity. The vast majority have the 2-3 drinks on a 3 hour flight & are fine.

As mentioned, one can drink at the airport if so inclined. Some may covertly sip from the doctored Starbucks cup.

With the price back in coach, can get a little spendy.

I just don’t see a need to ban alcohol on planes. I’ve seen some F/A’s with a bartender mentality, ‘ready for another’? Then others on the stingy side.

If having a few on a plane, it’s not the place for loud & rowdy, quietly enjoy that movie instead.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eye on the
    Silver Lining
    posted Hide Post
    Dammit. I’m flying American this weekend. I’ve been on 4-5 flights in the last 6 months, and all have served alcohol. Mad (none were American- I haven’t been so impressed with them over the last 2-3 years, and this just adds to the list).

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    is circumspective
    Picture of vinnybass
    posted Hide Post
    On the rare occasions when I fly, I sit in the front. I drink when I want. Don't mess with that.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by vinnybass:

I sit in the front. I drink when I want.
    When I sit in front for a flight, it's a really bad idea for me to drink. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Krazeehorse
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    quote:
    Originally posted by vinnybass:

I sit in the front. I drink when I want.
    When I sit in front for a flight, it's a really bad idea for me to drink. Razz

Big Grin Big Grin

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A Grateful American
    Picture of sigmonkey
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:...When I sit in front for a flight, it's a really bad idea for me to drink. Razz

Let me hold the yoke, have that drink, you can trust me, I can watch all the little TVs!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Here's a travel tip: goto Walmart and buy those empty containers that meet the liquid travel requirements. Fill them with your choice of alcohol. There is no limit to how many you can buy and fill. Pack them in your carry on luggage. It will pass through security with no problems. Once the plane is at altitude and the seatbelt light turns off go ahead and start doing shots.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sigmonkey:
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:...When I sit in front for a flight, it's a really bad idea for me to drink. Razz
    Let me hold the yoke, have that drink, you can trust me, I can watch all the little TVs!
    Hold my beer. Watch this!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eye on the
    Silver Lining
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hildur:
    Here's a travel tip: goto Walmart and buy those empty containers that meet the liquid travel requirements. Fill them with your choice of alcohol. There is no limit to how many you can buy and fill. Pack them in your carry on luggage. It will pass through security with no problems. Once the plane is at altitude and the seatbelt light turns off go ahead and start doing shots.

Goodness, I just keep those cute little travel size liquor bottles they hand out and refill them. I don’t fuck around trying to pretend they’re something other than they are. Never had an issue.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post