SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Southwest Airlines Flight Attendants Don't Want To Serve Alcohol
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southwest Airlines Flight Attendants Don't Want To Serve Alcohol Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I guess I misunderstood your use of the words “drunks” and “addicts.”

I can see that.

Typing a quick response while distracted. I guess I should have either made a more well thought out post of just remained a spectator.

It seems to me that the folks having a hard time with a business choosing what they want to sell or not then in the same breath accusing them of taking away "muh liberties" seems either ironic or hypocritical. Worst case scenario they'd be able to have a cocktail at the bar before they board and then immediately after they land another would be available.

If I can retract my previous I'd like to replace it with those who cannot refrain for a couple hours may want to look into that before it becomes a much larger problem.

The chronically nicotine deficient have been dealing with this for decades.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my entire life I've never witnessed a single incident of an airline passenger drinking too much and causing a disturbance.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Someone wants a drink on a plane because it makes it more enjoyable for them or helps tamp down on anxiety, I have no issue with that and it’s none of my business anyway.

I've actually used that a few times to calm someone down on a flight. In a similar way to I might placate children and separate them, getting the parties a drink and moving them apart averted what might otherwise have been a problem. Let-me-buy-you-a-drink sometimes works wonders.

Not alcohol, but I've spent a lot of time on freight aircraft, which are a bit more relaxed in some respects, and nicotine has become an issue. 14 hours is a long time to go for someone who's gotaa have one. It became a routine thing for some to say they had to "go walk the freight," and would disappear downstairs tot he main deck, and work their way to the back of the aircraft to have a cigarette. It was extinguished in a Dr. Pepper can , half full of water.

Not legal. Not something I'd tell someone to do. But at the same time, when faced with soemone on board who is crawling out of their skin with a nicotine fit and them going to walk the freight, I didn't say much. I did have a first officer last year start vaping in the cockpit, sitting next to me. In the right seat, at a pilot station, he began vaping, and seemed shocked when I told him to knock it off and put it away.

I have seen passengers with a mini-bottle. I've never said anything to them. I've never told a passenger to pull their mask up, and was recently on a flight and observed a captain tell the lead flight attendant that he didn't want to see any mask wars, any conflicts, so don't start one. I'm all for that.

I was on a flight not long ago, long oceanic leg, when I heard a lav fire alarm activate. I wasn't in the cockpit, but in a crew rest area, and I went directly to the lav and investigated it. I believe that a flight attendant had vaped in there, but couldn't prove it and didn't get an admission. It caused a lot of excitement for a while, though. The rule is there for a reason, and aircraft have burned up as the result of a lav fire, so they're taken seriously.

If passengers have a sip and go to sleep, fine. I've had passengers liquor up on the mini bottles and in corporate aircraft, wind up between the pilot seats screaming in my ear. That's dangerously close to getting a crash axe in one's temple, and not to be tolerated. Responsible drinkers, no problem. No one is concerned about those. The increasing incidents of air rage, however, especially over trivial issues, are made worse when judgement is tempered with alcohol including recent efforts to open exits in flight, or popping exits on the ground while taxiing). It's a concern. If 200 passengers are just fine and one isn't, and becomes a problem, it's one too many.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got over 600 round trips on Southwest and don't recall any major issues involving drunks in 24 years of travel. A few medical or mechanical issues, but not many drunks. Flying short domestics during Covid hasn't been much a problem either, although I'd love to ditch the mask ASAP.

I don't drink, so whether alcohol is served or not is a moot point.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
In my entire life I've never witnessed a single incident of an airline passenger drinking too much and causing a disturbance.

Same here, millions of miles, different airlines, even when Delta used to serve free Champaign on cross country flights. Not once a problem.

Then again today, all you have to do is drop a mask to pop a peanut in your mouth and "it's on!" some Ken or Karen will appear.

Rant, Mask mandates on planes need to go, because you can't rid the world of assholes..

I'd vote for removing the mask before alcohol..

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
...although I'd love to ditch the mask ASAP.
Well...let it be known that the IDIOTS of the AFA (Association of Flight Attendants) has asked for masks "mandates" to stay in place. The AFA Chairwoman, Sara Nelson, is a woke, Libtarded, blithering DOLT! There are more IQ points in the turds I scooped outta my cat box this morning. That's all I'm gonna say...

[/drift]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:

Same here, millions of miles, different airlines, even when Delta used to serve free Champaign on cross country flights. Not once a problem.

Then again today, all you have to do is drop a mask to pop a peanut in your mouth and "it's on!" some Ken or Karen will appear.

Rant, Mask mandates on planes need to go, because you can't rid the world of assholes..

I'd vote for removing the mask before alcohol..

Heh heh- for the mask, or the peanut! I’m the person on the overseas flight that the attendant give 2-3 minis for free when I ask for a drink…because I am low key, and I do enjoy a drink whilst I watch a movie to while away the time on my way to my destination.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5318 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

drop a mask to pop a peanut in your mouth
Peanuts? Heaven forbid. Somebody in a seat eight rows away might be allergic. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is it about airline behavior? They had a guy ask the flight attendant if she would like to see his penis, when she said no he proceeded to urinate of the floor of the galley. Back in the day this sort of stuff did not even happen on the Greyhound.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
...although I'd love to ditch the mask ASAP.
Well...let it be known that the IDIOTS of the AFA (Association of Flight Attendants) has asked for masks "mandates" to stay in place. The AFA Chairwoman, Sara Nelson, is a woke, Libtarded, blithering DOLT! There are more IQ points in the turds I scooped outta my cat box this morning. That's all I'm gonna say...

[/drift]

AFA got their way for now, I just posted this to the huge covid thread.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/...-air-travel-mandate/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just went a quick work trip last week BWI to LAX and back. No alcohol induced bad behavior, and the flight attendants were cool. I didn't detect any hesitance to serve alcohol, although on the way out I didn't see a single FA for 2 hours after the initial drink service. They didn't even come around to collect coupons/credit cards from anyone on the flight back.

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
AFA got their way for now, I just posted this to the huge covid thread.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/...-air-travel-mandate/
But but but but...Scott Kirby says the inside of an airplane is more sterile than an operating theater!!! Yeah...he actually said that. Or was it an ICU? Either way...yeah. Masks should have gone the way of the stagecoach a month ago...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never seen anyone drunk on a plane before. I have however seen people who are extremely rude to flight attendants. The obnoxious assholes that get off by offending others types.

Not sure why but I always thought there was a two-drink limit on a plane.

Posts: 516 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: October 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
No comment!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I have 4 flights scheduled on SWA next week. I'll report back.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Time to pass out the edibles and placate the whole damn passenger compartment. Put on Heavy Metal - the movie …

https://youtu.be/mewu2IxAlLw

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't drink or have issues with those who do, as long as they stay cool. I do have issues with crying babies, though. Was on a flight where a 2yo cried loudly continually for over 3 hours. If I'd done that as a child my mom would have stuffed a sock in my mouth.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just spent 9 hours on a flight with several crying kids nearby, and a dozen or so small children that got restless.

Airpod pro and MP3. Turn it up, make the world go away. Couldn't hear the kids over Halestorm.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Just spent 9 hours on a flight with several crying kids nearby, and a dozen or so small children that got restless.

Airpod pro and MP3. Turn it up, make the world go away. Couldn't hear the kids over Halestorm.
My brother and I remember with fondness (NOT!) the mantra kids followed "in our day" lest you submit to an ass spanking...Kids are meant to be seen; not heard!