SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Modern gasoline is some whicked stuff! (curse the corn juice)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modern gasoline is some whicked stuff! (curse the corn juice) Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Replace the % of alcohol removed with toluene to be returned to the same octane rating you started with.

Toluene is a pure hydrocarbon and has zero negative effects to O2 sensors or cat converters.

Adding up to 20% will also work if the clear fuel is too low (89) for high compression or boosted engines.

That’s a dynamite idea, but how do you separate out the nitrogen and oxygen so you are left with just the toluene?

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Not sure where your going with this.

or

Why do you want to separate nitrogen and oxygen? Gotta have air in the fuel air mixture, and last time I breeved, it was 78 and 21% respectively.

Ethanol produces greater NOx (nitrogen oxides) than toluene, and toluene produces less oxygenation than TEL (lead).

It is a component along with benzine that is being reduced in refining, as the adding of ethanol and its anti-knock "benefit, justifies" the reduction of toluene.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
The oil companies and car companies probably don’t care one way or the other.
Can't speak for the car companies but oil & gas certainly doesn't want it and never did want it. It was foisted upon us by .gov and like all gov't mandates cost the industry billions in capital expenditures. It's also increased maintenance costs and introduced carbon steel stress corrosion cracking to a part of the business that previously didn't have cracking issues.

Besides the capital expenditures and increased maintenance passed on to consumers, taxpayers are getting double dipped since they've also funded billions in ethanol tax subsidies to farmers.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey,

TNT - TN = T

That's what it's a "dynamite" idea.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Sigmonkey,

TNT - TN = T

Ya, it was supposed to be kind of a joke, but I guess it bombed.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I'd like to know where you're getting 40 year old OEM parts from? Big Grin

Same name maybe, and that's about it. Not even made on the same side of the planet.

It's not that putting a gun in your mouth and pulling the trigger is bad for you, you just have a cheap inferior head!

That's a hell of a stretch isn't it. I state that in the 1970's I was using OEM parts on my 1970 Beetle and you stretch that into my buying 40 year old OEM parts.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I just go to my local small town airport with a fuel jug and buy some 100LL avgas. Costs about $4.35 a gallon.
Usually cheaper than non-ethanol and has much better fuel stabilizer, higher octane and no water.
Just don't be seen putting it into a street vehicle as you aren't paying the road tax, as far as I know.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Sigmonkey,

TNT - TN = T

Ya, it was supposed to be kind of a joke, but I guess it bombed.

LOL Yep.

Blew right past my head.

I do that stuff with my niece, (she's pursuing a path in astronautics) chemistry, physics, math, all the puns, and you got me.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I searched for the this thread to get the date. I'm shocked that it was less than a year ago, I thought perhaps it was fall of 2020, but it wasn't.

Because the truck... she no run again. Not getting fuel. Since I changed the pump, it's probably got a 1/16th of a mile on it, distance wise. Hours running, maybe an hour? It gets run 3-4 minutes every few weeks. I'm guessing here, but my theory is the pump probably works, but all the rubber connections are mush. Search the net for ethanol proof hose?

I guess I need to pull the bed off again and get in the tank. In the middle of too many other car/truck problems at the moment though. When it rains it pours.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
There aren't any pure gas retailers close by to me.
Would regular use of Sta-Bil or Seafoam mitigate the effects of the increased ethanol percentage?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I absolutely detest Ethanol-polluted gasoline, but modern engine bits--anything manufactured within the last ten, maybe twenty years, at least, should not be adversely affected by it. (Other than the problems inherent with alcohol-compromised gasoline, mainly phase separation, that is.)

If you have lines and seals degrading that quickly, I suspect they're low-grade Chinesium. I've small engine stuff over thirty years old in which I used Ethanol gasoline up until about three years ago. Their fuel lines and gaskets didn't dissolve.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That was with Sta-Bil in it.

The nearest place with ethanol free is $10 a gallon or so I'm told by a coworker. He went to buy it and decided he'd rather replace the carb on his mower than pay that. lol

If I filled the tank with $10 a gallon gas, it would double the value of the truck. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

For no more than I use it, I buy the Stihl premixed gas/oil for my chainsaw, pole chain saw, and used to for the string trimmer. Though due to age I've had to go to a cordless trimmer, very light and perfect for our limited use (115' around a 36' grass circle). Anyone nearby want a Stihl gas powered string trimmer? Free for pickup.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
The nearest place with ethanol free is $10 a gallon or so I'm told by a coworker.
Around here, our ethanol free is same octane as premium and it's $0.10 per gallon more than "corn juice" premium.

The location is convenient enough for filling up the lawnmower gas can a few times per year (~25 miles round trip but next to 2 stores I shop at every 2 or 3 months), but not convenient enough for my daily driver.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't have any issues with ethanol in my fuel. I've never purchased non ethanol gas for any of my vehicles or lawn equipment and the only time I ever had a problem was when a generator sat up for over a year . I was able to get it running with some Seafoam and some starting fluid . I see people freak out over two week old gas that contains ethanol , like it's going to ruin the carburetor overnight .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
You'uns will have to become used to increasing ethanol content in fuel. E15 is next. E85, available now, will be here before you know it as our sustainable fuel.

I find E10 to be a non-issue for my fleet.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Only government would use fuel, fertilizer and water to grow food to make a shitty fuel.

Thank you Chuck Grassley (R) you old fuck ..

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ethanol in older vehicles, particularly ones that sit is problematic, it will damage seals and rubber hoses.

If you can get non ethanol gas at the pump, it's the best way for an older vehicle, not sure where you are that it's $10 a gallon, here it's the same price as 93 octane at WaWa.

Other choice is to change out the fuel system where ethanol will be a problem, no additive out there will "remove" the ethanol from the fuel, Sta-Bil, Star-Tron, help reduce and slow the effects but the ethanol will still be there.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post