SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG Factory Spring and Parts Replacement Schedule ***Now with P320 information including how to the remove slide w/o takedown lever***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Factory Spring and Parts Replacement Schedule ***Now with P320 information including how to the remove slide w/o takedown lever*** Login/Join 
The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
Up for Feb viewing -

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Crescendo,

Posts: 5102 | Location: troy.ohio.USA | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund....can you email me a copy of the maintenance guide....jp.parry@gmail.com...thanks.

JP Parry

Posts: 26 | Registered: February 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jaegerja1
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund..Could you please send my a copy of your maint/cleaning guide.

Thank you

Posts: 38 | Location: S.E, WI | Registered: January 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jaegerja1
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund, could you e-mail me a copy of your
cleaning guide. I have your maint guide.Thank you

Posts: 38 | Location: S.E, WI | Registered: January 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
To the top for March viewing -

Posts: 5102 | Location: troy.ohio.USA | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
I'm a noob, just got a 229 ,40. I was surprised that the breach block pin needs to be swapped out at 5000 rounds. I wonder how many people really do it.

The schedule doesn’t mention the solid firing pin positioning pin (FPPP) used in SIGs with one-piece stainless steel slides like the P229. The retention pins mentioned above are the hollow roll pins use in two-piece carbon steel slides with separate breechblocks (e.g., the P225, P228, P245, and older P220 and P226). The reason for replacing them so frequently is reportedly that they loosen and that reduces the rigidity of the slide assembly. That in turn results in the slide’s flexing when fired and increases stress on the frame rails. One-piece slides are not subject to that problem.

Although the solid FPPP isn’t mentioned in the schedule, it must be preplaced by default every 20,000 rounds because that’s when the other parts of the slide assembly are replaced: the firing pin and its spring and the safety lock spring. The FPPP is not reused.

Actually I asked this question yesterday (03/02/10) during the LE SIG Armorer Certification (Re-Cert) Class in Phx, AZ and was told the solid FPPP used in stainless slides needed to be replaced every 3 years/5000 rounds. The instructor said since we were in a dry climate we could get away with doubling that; however, the official answer was 3 years/5000 rounds.

He said a major reason for replacing the FPPP was officers repeatidly dry fired their weapons without snap caps. He said that snap caps were really recommended in SIGs to ease stress on the FPPP.

Posts: 120 | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMH:
quote:
quote:
I'm a noob, just got a 229 ,40. I was surprised that the breach block pin needs to be swapped out at 5000 rounds. I wonder how many people really do it.

The schedule doesn’t mention the solid firing pin positioning pin (FPPP) used in SIGs with one-piece stainless steel slides like the P229. The retention pins mentioned above are the hollow roll pins use in two-piece carbon steel slides with separate breechblocks (e.g., the P225, P228, P245, and older P220 and P226). The reason for replacing them so frequently is reportedly that they loosen and that reduces the rigidity of the slide assembly. That in turn results in the slide’s flexing when fired and increases stress on the frame rails. One-piece slides are not subject to that problem.

Although the solid FPPP isn’t mentioned in the schedule, it must be preplaced by default every 20,000 rounds because that’s when the other parts of the slide assembly are replaced: the firing pin and its spring and the safety lock spring. The FPPP is not reused.

Actually I asked this question yesterday (03/02/10) during the LE SIG Armorer Certification (Re-Cert) Class in Phx, AZ and was told the solid FPPP used in stainless slides needed to be replaced every 3 years/5000 rounds. The instructor said since we were in a dry climate we could get away with doubling that; however, the official answer was 3 years/5000 rounds.

He said a major reason for replacing the FPPP was officers repeatidly dry fired their weapons without snap caps. He said that snap caps were really recommended in SIGs to ease stress on the FPPP.

My FPPP was showing some wear from dry-firing (marking with texture) after just a couple hundred dry-fires (at most). I can agree with that schedule.

Also, would love mantenance guide!

foxmustang_302@yahoo.com

Posts: 1372 | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACPFAN:
quote:
quote:
quote:

My FPPP was showing some wear from dry-firing (marking with texture) after just a couple hundred dry-fires (at most). I can agree with that schedule.

foxmustang_302@yahoo.com

The agency who hosted the LE SIG Armorer's Re-Cert, who is 100% SIG with a lot of officers, even mentioned that they'd seen a number of the broken solid FPPP from dry firing in new guns. Those solid pins are difficult to remove without a press, unless you don't mind beating up agency slides.

The instructor said the new spiral pins are easier to remove and should be coming on the new pistols. Just as a side note, the original double roll pin can me removed from any direction, as apparently can the new spiral roll pin. Those solid pins have to be put in from left to right and removed right to left. I have seen the new spiral pins on some of the new P229s around out office....and they just don't look right to me on a stainless slide.

Posts: 120 | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ACPFAN:
quote:
quote:
quote:

foxmustang_302@yahoo.com

The agency who hosted the LE SIG Armorer's Re-Cert, who is 100% SIG with a lot of officers, even mentioned that they'd seen a number of the broken solid FPPP from dry firing in new guns. Those solid pins are difficult to remove without a press, unless you don't mind beating up agency slides.

The instructor said the new spiral pins are easier to remove and should be coming on the new pistols. Just as a side note, the original double roll pin can me removed from any direction, as apparently can the new spiral roll pin. Those solid pins have to be put in from left to right and removed right to left. I have seen the new spiral pins on some of the new P229s around out office....and they just don't look right to me on a stainless slide.

P229's are much harder to get the pins out of. I got the pin out of my P226 no problem.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
ACPFAN, I just ran across your request for my guide and e-mailed it to you now.

I don't recall if I responded to the earlier requests. If you'd like a copy, please contact me directly at the address in my profile. I may not see a request that's posted here.

I have only one guide; I refer to it as "cleaning and maintenance" because it covers both topics.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recieved, thankyou!

Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
A Lenten BTT.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrt81
posted Hide Post
quote:

Roll pins for breechblock retention (pins, HD): 5000

Can someone explain exactly what that is (and maybe post pics)?

Thanks!

Posts: 680 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: February 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtownsend81:
quote:

Thanks!

Older SIGs with formed and welded carbon steel slides had removable breechblocks. The blocks are held in the slide with (hollow) roll pins. Because it's important that the breechblock be held in place very firmly, the roll pins should be replaced after 5000 rounds.

SIG has now gone to roll pins in stainless slides as well but their only function is to retain the firing pin and safety lock mechanisms, so I don't know if the 5K replacement schedule applies to them

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrt81
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I have a newer SIG so I have the second type you described.

Posts: 680 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: February 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't read anything about the AGE of the springs or replacement parts as opposed to the # of rounds.

I ask because of all the recent ex-police guns that have been hitting the market.

Some of these are early 80s and, while not shot alot, I'm assuming that it would be a good idea to replace certain parts just as a "while you're there" kinda thing.

Sort of like replacing the fluids in a car thats sat for a while.

What would be the recommendation for one of the ex-police P6's or P228s that have low rounds but long years?

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wtownsend81:
quote:

Thanks!

Older SIGs with formed and welded carbon steel slides had removable breechblocks. The blocks are held in the slide with (hollow) roll pins. Because it's important that the breechblock be held in place very firmly, the roll pins should be replaced after 5000 rounds.

SIG has now gone to roll pins in stainless slides as well but their only function is to retain the firing pin and safety lock mechanisms, so I don't know if the 5K replacement schedule applies to them

My guess is probably not. There is no replacement schedual for the cotter pin that performs the same purpose in the M4/M16 platform, it's a "replace when deformed or lost" part.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't read anything about the AGE of the springs or replacement parts as opposed to the # of rounds.

I ask because of all the recent ex-police guns that have been hitting the market.

Some of these are early 80s and, while not shot alot, I'm assuming that it would be a good idea to replace certain parts just as a "while you're there" kinda thing.

Sort of like replacing the fluids in a car thats sat for a while.

What would be the recommendation for one of the ex-police P6's or P228s that have low rounds but long years?

James in Denver

I'd just buy the parts kit from TGS and replace everything in it, in addition, also the mainspring and the extractor spring for good measure. Necessary? Nah, prolly not, but cheap, and you're paying that shipping charge anyways.

The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
To the top for April viewing

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
April 18 bump back to page 1.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post