SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG Factory Spring and Parts Replacement Schedule ***Now with P320 information including how to the remove slide w/o takedown lever***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Factory Spring and Parts Replacement Schedule ***Now with P320 information including how to the remove slide w/o takedown lever*** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Jan 6 bump

Posts: 325 | Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
Up for a February ice & snow storm bump!

Posts: 5102 | Location: troy.ohio.USA | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
This information is still relevant and should be back on the first page.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of a source for the internal extractor for an X5 L1 in 9mm?

Posts: 15 | Registered: December 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
Up for March viewing -

Posts: 5102 | Location: troy.ohio.USA | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
April Fools bump.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of White Tiger
posted Hide Post
I have a "W. German" Sig P220 from 1995 and while at the gun range last week I had a failure-to-feed for the first time - was told the cure to this was to replace the recoil spring.

I was also told that there was a 'red" spring and and a "green" spring. I was concerned about which one would be correct - I ordered an aftermarket repair kit that included a recoil spring. When it arrived today the kit had both!?

When I tried the red spring I found the coil was almost too tight to slide over the guide rod, and didn't really stiffen the slide-pull...

...so I then tried the red spring, which was twice as long as my original recoil spring and actually caused such a stiff slide-pull that my wife can no longer pull it back. I think it is now more akin to the slide pull of a M1911.

I have not taken it to the range yet, my question; is this correct? Will this fix the problem, or do I need to take it to a gunsmith?

No self-respecting White Tiger would ever be caught (period)...so don't bother looking at those fakers at the zoo...

Posts: 9 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: March 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum.

A lot of these long-running reference threads get bumped just to keep them alive, so on this forum it's usually best to ask questions like yours in a new thread so people pay attention to them. Smile

In any event, the proper recoil spring for the full-sized P220 is the one with green paint on it. I agree that it's a very stout spring and makes the slide difficult to cycle manually. On the other hand, shooting the gun some will almost certainly reduce the sping's power and make it easier.

As for the problem your wife is having now, is she grasping the rear of the slide in an overhand manner and pushing with both hands simultaneously? Also, manually cocking the hammer first makes the task a little easier (while following the appropriate safety rules, of course).

The current "green paint" recoil spring provides extra protection to the gun against battering and that's evidently why SIG adopted it.

Failures to chamber in P220s are often cured by more powerful recoil springs because it takes so much force to strip rounds out of their magazines, especially the first one or two. But weak springs aren't the only reason. Did you change ammunition or anything else?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of White Tiger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Welcome to the forum.

A lot of these long-running reference threads get bumped just to keep them alive, so on this forum it's usually best to ask questions like yours in a new thread so people pay attention to them. Smile

In any event, the proper recoil spring for the full-sized P220 is the one with green paint on it. I agree that it's a very stout spring and makes the slide difficult to cycle manually. On the other hand, shooting the gun some will almost certainly reduce the sping's power and make it easier.

As for the problem your wife is having now, is she grasping the rear of the slide in an overhand manner and pushing with both hands simultaneously? Also, manually cocking the hammer first makes the task a little easier (while following the appropriate safety rules, of course).

The current "green paint" recoil spring provides extra protection to the gun against battering and that's evidently why SIG adopted it.

Failures to chamber in P220s are often cured by more powerful recoil springs because it takes so much force to strip rounds out of their magazines, especially the first one or two. But weak springs aren't the only reason. Did you change ammunition or anything else?

Sigfreund - thank you for alerting me to the issue of choosing the proper thread. I'm trying to strike the proper balance between not arrogantly jumping into the middle of an established forum asking a question that most of the members may find elementary - or whether to just jump into an existing discussion...I chose this one as it seemed to offer answers for many questions. I can see your point though, it was very old, so it drug a lot of folks back into a very old discussion - did not think about the implications of that scenario!

Thanks also for the information on the green spring - and frankly I don't mind that it is more difficult to prime - that may deter "little hands" from cycling my pistol and putting a round in the chamber (althought there aren't any little hands currently in my home, and the pistol is always holstered on, or near me). My wife has her own Springfield XD9-SC, but I told her the same thing you just said, it may be difficult in the beginning, but like all pieces of machinery/tools you "smooth-out" their operation by using it more...so I've prepared her for shooting with it to help me calm the Big Sig...!

I experienced the misfire when I changed ammunition (had gone from an eight round magazine of 4 Golden Saber, 185gr, hollow points to the next 4 Remington UMC, 230gr, FMJ's), but the mis-feed problem occured when my son was shooting my Sig, he went from an eight round magazine of Remington UMC 230gr, FMJ's - to a 7 round magazine of the same load?

I am curious to see how the recoil/extractor now throws the brass...I'll see if the misfires continue!

No self-respecting White Tiger would ever be caught (period)...so don't bother looking at those fakers at the zoo...

Posts: 9 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: March 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RE: P220 full sized

When SIG went to the heavier green spring to reduce battering of the gun, did they also have the older stamped slide versions in mind for use with the green spring.

I'm aware that the older P220's came with a ighter spring, and it seems like they'd also benefit from a spring that would reduce battering.

Lot's of discussion about springs, but not too much about new vs. old models when using the springs.

I ask the same question regarding the older type P226 9mm's (I have two of them) and the orange spring.

Fired some lower pressure hardball thru my P220 today with green spring, just a few rounds, and they seemed to eject far enough. I'm more concerned with the "standard" spring kicking them considerably farther. Especially with Plus P.

While I'm leaning toward considering the green spring appropriate for "new" AND "old" models, I'd like to verify. Same for the P226 orange spring.

Posts: 571 | Location: Reno | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nobby42d:
RE: P220 full sized

When SIG went to the heavier green spring to reduce battering of the gun, did they also have the older stamped slide versions in mind for use with the green spring.

I'm aware that the older P220's came with a ighter spring, and it seems like they'd also benefit from a spring that would reduce battering.

Lot's of discussion about springs, but not too much about new vs. old models when using the springs.

I ask the same question regarding the older type P226 9mm's (I have two of them) and the orange spring.

Fired some lower pressure hardball thru my P220 today with green spring, just a few rounds, and they seemed to eject far enough. I'm more concerned with the "standard" spring kicking them considerably farther. Especially with Plus P.

However, even though I'm leaning toward considering the green spring appropriate for "new" AND "old" models, I'd like to verify. Same for the P226 orange spring.

Posts: 571 | Location: Reno | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s apparent that SIG has regulated slide speed by varying slide mass and recoil spring strength. For example, the factory recoil springs for the P225 and P228 were somewhat different than the 9mm P229 spring, evidently because the former two slides are slightly lighter.

On the other hand, P220 slides used over the years vary significantly in weight. As examples, an old carbon steel slide I weighed was 329.3 grams. Two P220R slides (including a “Combat” model) averaged about 345 grams. The slides of a P220ST and the most recent P220R I purchased averaged about 375 grams. My department has about 10 220s with carbon steel slides.
All of those guns were equipped with the green paint spring and all functioned normally. Even with the heavier slides ejection is pretty vigorous and therefore I believe the green spring should be used with all 220s.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sigfreund.

I weighed my slides and the old model weighed about 16 oz and the one piece slide about 1.3 oz.

Then I got to thinking that while the heavier slide might logically require the heavier spring, why not also the lighter one that develops more velocity, since we all know that lighter bullets can sometimes be driven at sufficiently higher speeds to surpass the energy of slower and heavier bullets. So why not slides? Big Grin

Maybe I'll quit analyzing and just use the heavier green springs in all of them and see how that works out. Smile

posted Hide Post
And just to add to the confusion, I tested an old model P220 and a new DAK ST slide version today. I used a brand new green spring in each (the same spring).

The old German made gun threw the brass noticeably farther than the new gun with the heavier one piece slide, though both guns ejected the brass just fine.

The ammo was 5.6gr. W231 and 230 plated hardball. About the equivilent of fairly mild WWB hardball.

Could be other variables, like ejector and extractor, but it appears that the lighter slide develops higher velocity when overcoming the force of the slide spring.

It's interesting that the original green spring in the DAK P220, after only a couple hundred rounds, was compressed a little more than 1/2" and yet the amount of force it took to operate the slide was quite a bit less than the brand new spring.

Conclusion: appears to varify Sigfreunds' advice that the green slide spring works fine in older and newer versions of the P220. And also that the heavy green spring will loosen up before too long. Cool

Picture of mjohn
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund,

Did your email address change? Your email address gets rejected when I tried to send you an email. I changed the at to @ and the period to a . Any other ideas?

Thanks

Posts: 1465 | Location: Sandbox City VA | Registered: September 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
To the top for May viewing -

The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
For July viewing

Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
August bump.

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
September bump

Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
October bump.