SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback on the Lunar Pilot. I guess my main concern is the large 45mm size and the narrow 20mm strap. Does it look like a watch that "skipped leg day"?

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Green Highlander, If the size & strap are your only concern then don’t worry. That watch needs only a simple strap swap to look incredible. Don’t worry about it looking like a watch that skipped leg day it’s a fantastic watch with great balance and aesthetics. I only parted with mine because it is incredibly hard for me to bond with a quartz watch and I have a family member to adored it so away it eventually went. I run the chrono function on my chronograph watches A LOT so it always kind of annoyed me that using all of my watches capabilities lessened it’s battery life. That was my singular issue with the Bulova and ultimately why it was replaced by an automatic chronograph.

The Bulova Lunar Watch is balanced and most certainly ready for lift off. I do kinda miss mine.....it matched my red white and black Yamaha YZF-R1 superbike perfectly. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It's a classic, iconic watch. I don't think you could go wrong trying one out.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Bulova was actually a Universal Geneve.

https://wornandwound.com/bulov...n-can-get-one-today/

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
The Bulova was actually a Universal Geneve.

https://wornandwound.com/bulov...n-can-get-one-today/

Makes sense as I'm not sure Bulova ever produced movements in the USA. At least, to date, I have never found one. Perhaps very early on they did. Every one I have seen, touched, rebuilt have been Swiss in origin.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
The Bulova Lunar Pilot is also on my short list of 'I don't have anything like that/cool NASA connection' watches. They seem to be getting a bit harder to find at 'bargain' prices tho...

I generally enjoy this guy's reviews:

Link to original vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcmANzMCIFE

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Well carp. I found out today that I may not get my Helm Komodo until sometime in 2022. Low production and high waiting list number. Fork.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That sounds about right. Now you know why Helm watches are so sought after. We covet that which we cannot easily obtain. When I first learned of the brand while watching micro brand watch reviews on YouTube the reviewer said something like “and this next brand is just fantastic but if you want one you’re going to have to be patient and lucky or pay over MSRP to buy one used.”

It is possible Helm will offer another preorder window. They did this a few times while I was waiting a looooooooooong time for my Vanuatu.

I do think Helm watches are worth the wait. My expectations were set pretty damn high and Helm still managed to exceed them. When it comes to tool watches built to take a beating Helm has to be considered one of the absolute best bang for you buck watches on the market.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Well carp. I found out today that I may not get my Helm Komodo until sometime in 2022. Low production and high waiting list number. Fork.

I was hopeful I might get in this last window, but apparently not.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Wanted to follow up with My Doxa pic post as I didn't have a photo of the wifes's Doxa Sea Nymph NOS on Imgur at the time so here it is with my sea rambler on rubber. I should have got the Caroline (orange) also for her before they ran out. She wishes she had both too.

Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1141 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
After getting the dive watch bug, I finally decided on a bracelet style/finish
and bought a MiLTAT hexad in brushed stainless from Strapcode.
This thing is substantial!

Initially thought I got one that made it past QC. Thoughts of stoning and fitting
the end links (solid) made me cringe. Patience won, and I figured out they can
only be installed from the back. Whew. One problem...

I'm not an octopus with two spring bar tools Big Grin

I recall seeing someone post in this thread a tool with twin spring bar forks.
Online, prices are all over the place, and I guess quality also. Suggestions?
As much as I'd like to wear it, I have no problem waiting for a specialty tool
to do this right, so I don't scratch the case and/or bracelet.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Well, the mac-daddy spring bar tool is made by Bergeon and costs roughly a million dollars. Horotec, and possibly Boley may well have a more affordable tool. ALI Express is a Chinese "Amazon" website that has some copies of the Swiss tools and may well have an analog of this tool. Fitting can be done without it, but it take some patience and a large quantity of profanity.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought a watch in 6 months. This popped up cheap:

Ridges on the case sides are neat.

Lume still glows under UV light:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Well, the mac-daddy spring bar tool is made by Bergeon and costs roughly a million dollars. Horotec, and possibly Boley may well have a more affordable tool. ALI Express is a Chinese "Amazon" website that has some copies of the Swiss tools and may well have an analog of this tool. Fitting can be done without it, but it take some patience and a large quantity of profanity.

Good Luck,

RMD

My Bergeon 6767-F cost $19.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I think this is what they’re talking about. It ain’t a million bucks, but it might as well be for my purposes:

https://www.jewelerssupplies.c...on-6825-460.016.html

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
My Bergeon 6767-F cost $19.

My Bergeon 6767F with two Bergeon 3153 replacement pins was $20.95 shipped from J. Borel. No need for a gilded bling uber expensive tool. Roll Eyes

BG6767F *stainless steel tool

BG3153 *Bakelite handle

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I think this is what they’re talking about. It ain’t a million bucks, but it might as well be for my purposes:

It's a little less at Jules Borel, but still a bit pricey: http://www.julesborel.com/prod...-2-ends-at-same-time

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I could see that tool being useful for instances, but yes, that’s more than I’m willing to spend on such a thing, even at $175.

wildheartedson0105, it sounds like the end links on your strap are similar to how the end links on the bracelet of my Glycine are. They’re solid, and they kind of slide onto the lugs. I’m not at home, or I would take a picture. It’s not easy to describe, but it only goes on one way. Anyways, the trick I came up with is, yes, working the tool from the back. To install, I get one spring bar end clear of the lug enough to start sliding that side of the end link into position, then carefully depress the other end of the spring bar enough to push the other side of the end link into place. Removing it is a bit trickier, and what I do is work one spring bar end up enough to clear the hole in the lug and I pull on the bracelet enough to keep it from popping back into place. I hold that tension and then carefully work the other end loose and pull the end link free of the lug. Doesn’t require two tools or eight hands, but it does require slow, careful, deliberate movements. A little bit of luck doesn’t hurt, either. Smile

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Completely unnecessary unless you're a jeweler or watch repairman.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the Bergeon tool is the one. Yikes on the price! Horotec makes a similar tool that is less expensive, but they also make a spring bar tweezer that goes for $40. Upside, much less expensive. Downside, if a tip breaks off a fork, it's trash. Upside for the more expensive tools, if a tip breaks, the forks are replaceable.

P220 Smudge, I tried easing the end link a little at a time. Got it to the point where all I had to do is get the ends of the pins to compress inside the lugs, but at that point, the fit is so tight, it's straight in with no play.

I read a thread on a site where someone suggested using the tip of a chopstick to compress the spring bar end.

Perhaps I can finish this ordeal over dinner at a buffet! Big Grin

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post