SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That Speedy is the bees knees. I know the originals didn't have glass backs, but I could overlook that. Wink

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My pics don't compare to Rogues, but here is my Speedy that my Dad bought me for my confirmation a whopping 46 years ago.

Like jhe888 said, the originals did not have a glass back but I would say Rogues glass back version looks incredible.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
My pics don't compare to Rogues, but here is my Speedy that my Dad bought me for my confirmation a whopping 46 years ago.

Like jhe888 said, the originals did not have a glass back but I would say Rogues glass back version looks incredible.

I think rOgue's is a version that has a new-made version of the old movement, too, which is why they put a display back on it. I think that version is decorated, too.

The current regular, Hesalite Speedy looks like the old ones, but uses a different movement. The old movement is much-loved by collectors.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
My pics don't compare to Rogues, but here is my Speedy that my Dad bought me for my confirmation a whopping 46 years ago..

IMO, I'd far prefer to have yours were it given to me by my dad. That's an awesome thing to be able to say and feel!

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
If this is your third to last watch r0gue, you must have just got it recently, congrats!

Yep, 2nd to last actually. Acquired in early May. Well into our little tour. But I figured it should wait it's turn in line

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
My pics don't compare to Rogues, but here is my Speedy that my Dad bought me for my confirmation a whopping 46 years ago..

IMO, I'd far prefer to have yours were it given to me by my dad. That's an awesome thing to be able to say and feel!

Thank you. I lost my Dad in 2016 and my Mom in 2018. The watch will never leave me.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to the Chase Durer company?

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
What ever happened to the Chase Durer company?
They're still around: http://www.chase-durer.com/home.html

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Well, this is it -- picked this up last Friday. The last one in. After the reopening in our area, my AD called and told me he had a no-date Sub for me. I'd asked for one well over a year ago, but steel Rolex are (or at least were pre-pandemic) nearly impossible to get. My first ever no-date Sub.

If I'm honest, I would have preferred to have ended this tour on the Speedy. That's more of a connoisseur's watch in comparison to this, which is perhaps somehow more predictable. Still, pretty great watch when judged on its own merits.

I think this will be about it for a while. I'll probably move one out over the next month or so. Nearly every watch I've shown so far is already gone. While I believe a few may be here to stay, if I'm honest,.. all are at risk of sale at any moment. As I told a friend a while back, I've been spending the same money over and over again for years.

Weird hobby...

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ A classic look for sure, but I can't decide which I like better, date or no date.

Enjoyed the tour, r0gue!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the tour.

It’s not the destination but the journey that counts and you’ve had one heck of a journey Rogue.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Love the Omega, probably 2nd to the Glashutte.

The No-date Sub is nice. For me, I'd want a non-cyclops date sub, if that exists.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A no date Sub is hard to resist.

Interesting tour. Thanks for posting them. I am definitely more of a keeper than you.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
r0gue,

If I had the pick of your watches it'd be the Geophysic and the Speedy ST 345.0808. Big Grin

As an aside I think the inner bezel with this no date Rolex Sub over and over again is an eyesore and worse. No thanks. Earlier Submariner (and Sea Dweller) models were not so "adorned" and for me to be preferred.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5: I'd want a non-cyclops date sub, if that exists.

The Sea Dweller is essentially that. The ref. 16600 was probably my favorite variant.

I also know a guy that intentionally knocked his cyclops off the crystal. It's glued on. And my wife UN-intentionally did the same. Hard workin' mom. No time to slow down! Smile

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
r0gue,

If I had the pick of your watches it'd be the Geophysic and the Speedy ST 345.0808. Big Grin

As an aside I think the inner bezel with this no date Rolex Sub over and over again is an eyesore and worse. No thanks. Earlier Submariner (and Sea Dweller) models were not so "adorned" and for me to be preferred.

Strongly agree on 1 and 2, and generally see your point and don't disagree on the 3rd.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Well, this is it -- picked this up last Friday. The last one in. After the reopening in our area, my AD called and told me he had a no-date Sub for me. I'd asked for one well over a year ago, but steel Rolex are (or at least were pre-pandemic) nearly impossible to get. My first ever no-date Sub.

If I'm honest, I would have preferred to have ended this tour on the Speedy. That's more of a connoisseur's watch in comparison to this, which is perhaps somehow more predictable. Still, pretty great watch when judged on its own merits.

I think this will be about it for a while. I'll probably move one out over the next month or so. Nearly every watch I've shown so far is already gone. While I believe a few may be here to stay, if I'm honest,.. all are at risk of sale at any moment. As I told a friend a while back, I've been spending the same money over and over again for years.

Weird hobby...

The classic "No Date Submariner" is hard to beat as a no-nonsense mechanical watch that has everything you need and nothing you don't. It'll never go out of style. I can't blame you for wanting to have one even with all the other fine watches you already have. Great choice! Congrats!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Predictable or not, a no date sub is about as clean as it gets. Great tour, Sir.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
The tour was great fun r0gue... personally, my favorite, for sheer beauty, was the Glashutte Original. The indices that were cut into the dial and then gold plated was over the top! If you're just talking "cool & classic", it's got to be the Speedy Moonwatch. Of course, I'm biased, as that's become the favorite of all my watches. I get a kick out of just winding it every day Smile.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That no date is hardly predicable. It’s a perfectly balanced and beautiful watch! Wow!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post