SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Battletech is here!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battletech is here! Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I just went up against my first Heavy last night. An 80 ton Orion. I'm really loving my 60 ton customized Dragon though and I also had with me a Centurion 50T (another great chassis I did well with) 50T Trebuchet and the trusty 45T Blackjack being driven by one of my mercs. It was one of those missions where the enemy mechs were not in the best of maintenance condition but it still put up a pretty good fight even with focused fire. I was able to salvage two of the three of it's salvage pieces too! The missions can definitely be extremely challenging, especially when you have four or more opposing mechs along with some of the hard hitting support vehicles. Even the base / turret missions can be tough with being sensor locked. My missions went from killing 4 vehicle "cake walks" to some really intense and challenging multi-mech and vehicle slug fests in a hurry!

One thing I wanted to mention is that I am very happy with the AI they included in the game. It is challenging, adaptive, and even surprising at times. Well done Harebrained Schemes (Developers)....Well done!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently highlander 2c, battlemaster, and 2 orions.

Almost 100 missions, fully upgraded dropship, 15 mill in the bank.

6 pilots, about 12 mechs, only 5 in the mechbay. Those monthly maintenance bills are already over 1 million.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I love my Highlander. No heat penalty and a shitload of knockdown power. Against medium 'mechs, my first attack is a kill. I have a Battlemaster but it's prone to overheats. I'm constantly juggling turning weapons off and/or bracing every second turn.

I have yet to acquire an Atlas. At this point, I just want more Highlanders!

(It'd be nice if you could field your own support vehicles. Getting pounded by SRMs and PPCs from those little tanks is annoying and I wish I could use that myself, even if it was purely AI-controlled.)

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dtech.

Ordered and downloading now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I have two different config Shadow Hawks and a Vindicator in my bullpen as back ups right now on top of the others mentioned above, and a bunch of different (1/3 and 2/3 salvages waiting additional salvage). I find the Shadow Hawks to be good but not my favorites but I do pull out the Vindicator from time to time as it can punch well above its weight class of 45T and has impressed me on numerous occasions. It is the Mech I got my first and so far only Death From Above kill and achievement. Smile The PPC was nice and satisfying to use but I pulled it in favor of a large laser and medium laser combo on that arm. I definitely tweak the armor on my Mechs to my liking to help with protection and durability as I find most of the stock configurations to need some adjustment, at least to my liking and play style.

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
I have two different config Shadow Hawks and a Vindicator in my bullpen as back ups right now. I find the Shadow Hawks to be good but not my favorites but I do pull out the Vindicator from time to time as is can punch well above its weight class of 45T. The PPC was nice and satisfying to use but I pulled it in favor of a large laser and medium laser combo on that arm. I definitely tweak the armor on my Mechs to my liking to help with protection and durability as I find most of the stock configurations to need some adjustment, at least to my liking and play style.

my shadow/griffen,wolverine combo was topped off JJ. Large laser, srm6, srm4 60 percent rear armor, 80% leg armor, rest filled out with heat sinks.

I agree with orgus, Other than the extra armor, the battle master is not as versitile as any of the orion mechs.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Why did you take photos when you could have taken screenshots? Confused

I've been afraid to go too long without taking story missions but hate losing out on the side missions that pop up. Does anyone know how long you can ignore a story mission before it expires?

(Also, due to my binge playing this game all weekend, I've decided to get some Little Caesar's pizza to nourish me. I haven't had it in 22 years--coincidentally, the last time I played Battletech!)

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
The story missions do not appear to have a time limit so that you can progress at your own pace. However, I find the story missions give you a nice boost of resources, just when you need them the most, or to help build up more of a cushion for buying things and making ship upgrades, not to mention pay the ever increasing monthly maintenance charges. There are also the unexpected perks and bonuses of completing the story missions too. Cool

Ahhh...Little Caesar's. lol
I can't say it's been 20+ years since I had it, but I honestly can't remember when the last time was. I can vaguely recall it being present in similar circumstances though. For me it is probably more in the 5 to 10 year time frame at someone else's gathering. I did however have some leftover REAL pizza with some meats and mushrooms from an Italian restaurant for lunch today. Battletech and pizza go together like movies and popcorn. Big Grin

-Dtech

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Why did you take photos when you could have taken screenshots? Confused

I've been afraid to go too long without taking story missions but hate losing out on the side missions that pop up. Does anyone know how long you can ignore a story mission before it expires?

(Also, due to my binge playing this game all weekend, I've decided to get some Little Caesar's pizza to nourish me. I haven't had it in 22 years--coincidentally, the last time I played Battletech!)

I am an idiot

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
How else do you show off the display?

I'm trying really hard not to buy this.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
How else do you show off the display?

Here's mine: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop...-monitor-accessories

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Nice! I was debating using one of my 32" tvs, but broke down and ordered their 23.8" gaming monitor since my gaming laptop is only 15".

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with two samsung 30". I don't game to a huge extent. So the extra size is very nice.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Is that another battlestation across from you? Wink

posted Hide Post
That is the wifes work set up, my sons set just like mine is upstairs.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My setup:

Samsung 24" on the left (1920x1200) and Dell 27" on the right (2560x1440).

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I am so jelly of the time you guys have to play! I LOVE the game but am only to the Liberation of Smithson with one Heavy (a Quickdraw).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ran up a pair of stalkers.

GRRRRR

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I think I'm pretty much set with my lance. An Awesome, 2 Highlanders, and a Stalker.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I love the Mechwarrior games, and Mech Commander, and of course the original tabletop.

I'll be picking it up, on sale.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post