SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Battletech is here!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battletech is here! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I hate you.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Hmm. I hate you.

Don't
Two atlas's two stalkers. plus 4 of the other mechs.

they kept knocking me down and poping my cores. I played this mission 3 times. First time i had to replay any of the missions. I finally gave up double legging them and just popped their cores.

What really sucked is you encounter the first lesser 4, then are jumped from the side by the 4 assaults.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Do you remember what planet? I wanna try it. Actually, nevermind. Looks like, with most missions, the enemy loadout varies depending on gameplay. I may have already done it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it was not a story line mission.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I know. But even the side missions don't have the same mechs.

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I love the Mechwarrior games, and Mech Commander, and of course the original tabletop.

I'll be picking it up, on sale.

Here you go Arc....on sale.... Cool

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/battletech

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The AI is either smart or i am very unlucky. I built a Yen Lo Wang clone for kicks. I dont think i ever got in range of more than one mech before the rest of the enemy shot that monster AC right off my right arm.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Popping legs works against the right Mechs but very dependent on leg armor and your weapons load outs, otherwise it can backfire on you and use up your called shots and morale for little gain. Against certain opponents I choose to target arms and the occasion left or right torso instead because it drastically affects the effectiveness of certain Mechs and their ability to do damage in return. Last night I was going up against a Hunchback, Enforcer, Vindicator, and Wolverine with a Short range punch config Dragon, a more standard config mid-range range Dragon, a LRM20++ equipped Trebuchet and a sniper config Shadow Hawk. Only my mid-longer range Dragon (and merc) took some substantial damage and the short range Dragon light to moderate mostly armor, Trebuchet light armor damage. It was a defend a base mission with the base on the left side being overlooked by a high ridge / cliff and a lake in the middle with some surrounding forest and shoreline. Since it is the only one with jump capability I positioned the Shadow Hawk sniper at the edge of the ridge while the other three went ground level down the winding slopes to the base and took advantage of some forest cover and water hexes. To make a long story short, there was nothing quite as funny so far as watching the Hunchback and the Enforcer lumbering around with the only weapon left to either of them being a small laser in the Hunchback. When you strategically take out weapon locations you can concentrate on the remaining armed Mechs and leave the others for cleanup. Obviously some Mechs aren't as easy to damage their primary weapons so I love the challenge of a fluid and developing strategy as the game unfolds.

The AI is definitely adaptive to your skill level and Mechs, and ramps up the opposing Mechs and tactics accordingly. I had one of those four Mechs here followed by getting jumped from the side by four more and even after I killed four and had only two badly damaged Mechs still functioning, the remaining enemy lance included a Griffin, Trebuchet, Wolverine, and a second Griffon from the first lance that was moderately damaged. That damaged Griffin that was much closer to us actually backed away from my two remaining mechs to try and draw me away from cover and towards the other three enemy Mechs so they could finish us off. That was actually my first actual battle defeat other than having a Mech I was supposed to stop from EVAC-ing get away in one of the early mission. I have definitely observed what I would consider human-like decision making and strategy from the AI whether it be a long range assault using a targeting mech to having in your face (or on your back) encounters with Flamers.

As far as monitors go, you guys are really making me want to upgrade now. LOL

I'm using a 6 year old Asus 24" 2ms that has been good and reliable but I can tell as compared to your setups and other newer model monitors I've seen in person recently that it may be time to upgrade. The colors under certain circumstance look a little softer and washed out than I remember and I'm noticing the contrast level of the screen goes ever so slightly from darker towards the top to lighter at the bottom, even with adjustment. I'm also a bit spoiled by our 4K 55" LG OLED we've had for a few months now so I'm going to start looking around for a replacement. For my workstation / desk space setup, a single 27" upgrade would do nicely though. I don't much have a need for dual screens but some of you do have some nice setups. Cool

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
Popping legs works against the right Mechs but very dependent on leg armor and your weapons load outs, otherwise it can backfire on you and use up your called shots and morale for little gain. Against certain opponents I choose to target arms and the occasion left or right torso instead because it drastically affects the effectiveness of certain Mechs and their ability to do damage in return. Cool

my issue with this is that it still allows the opponent to control initiative to much. Popping legs is to salvage mechs i want to keep. By popping both legs you get 2 1/3rd sections to salvage, by hitting them in the head, you get 3. Everything else i just Pop the ct. I run two orions with lrm's, one has ll, the other ac5. Those two bring the opponent to just knock down. The third mech is usually an ac10 dual srm 6 with 2 medium lasers. that knocks them down. Then the highlander with gaus, lrm 20, srm6, 2 medium er lasers pops the ct when they are down. Rinse and repeat while incorperating evasion and heat issues.

i have tried arming them, i was then bum rushed with physical attacks and DFA's. I had 3 mechs dfa my battlemaster. WTH.

posted Hide Post
Gah, Took out a cataphract and king crab. No salvage for either!!!!

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I completed the Smithon mission last night and at least got one salvage piece of a Catapult. Played around with the star map and found I can now visit The Taurian Concordant and the large area of many independent planets. The others are still restricted. Looks like I'm going to do some exploring and missions elsewhere to check out some of the different planets and tech available out there. Cool

-Dtech

posted Hide Post
I now have two highlanders, two atlases, and a stalker.

That is a pretty fun lance. One atlas and 1 highlander are old starleauge mechs, the other two are post 3025. The stalker was out fitted with 2 lrm 20, 2 lrm 15. It makes a great missile boat.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
How'd you get a LosTech Atlas? Did Lady Arano give you hers?

posted Hide Post
I finished the campaign. Fwiw you dont need multiple lances for the end mission. Just the one. My lance was highlander, 2 quick draw, one trebuchet.

They said you needed to field more than one lance so i hired and trained up from 8 mech pilots to 20. And fielded a full mech bay of heavy or greater mechs till my pilots were trained. I finished the story with 20 mill cbills. Had i stuck with my 1 lance and 8 pilots i would have saved another 1.5 to 2 mill a month.

posted Hide Post
Here

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Also, if you press ALT while hitting print screen, it'll take a screenshot of only the active monitor.

For example:
Without ALT:

With ALT:

posted Hide Post
Post storyline complexity ramps up quickly.

Mission to take a base.
Dealt with first lance of 4.
Have to assault base up hill.
Heavy turrets ac's lrm, ll, ppcs
Soon as you reach the top flanked by 2 stalkers and two king crabs. They popped up right in range. Poof.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I did the final story mission. I was a little disappointed that it didn't involve an actual battle featuring dozens of 'mechs on a battlefield. Still, it was intense. I loved that my gripe about wanting support vehicles on my side came to fruition. Those PPC snipers are a godsend!

posted Hide Post
The support mechs were worthless to me. They fired 2 rounds during the whole last battle. they kept going to and from the right side entrance. I don't think they did any serious bit of damage in that whole match. Neither did the turrets. All any of them did was suck up the initiative.

I too would like to be able to field a full light scout lance, a medium pop up lance, a heavy screen, and an assault brawling lance.

16 mechs per side. Let me play around with terrain, tactics, movement, heat a bit more. Get rid of the damn tanks, they are an annoyance from hell.