SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Battletech is here!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battletech is here! Login/Join 
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I'm maybe halfway through the game? Running with 3 heavies and one medium sniper platform.

Some things to keep in mind: Melee and Missiles knock enemy mechs down and make them MUCH easier to kill. I was using almost purely laser weapons for the first half of my playthrough until I realised how good SRM and LRMs are. Now I try to have at least one or the other on every mech. My "sniper" mech is one PPC and one LRM15 with 2 LRM ammo compartments. Since the PPC does almost as much stability damage as a full missile barrage, it's great for long range with knockdown. Gotta sacrifice a lot of armor for that combo, though, since it needs a decent amount of heat sink in order to fire every turn.

My Black Knight is by far my favorite mech, though. At 75 tons with 8 laser points(and nothing else), I have it built with 8 M Lasers and 2 S Lasers. If those all get to shoot at once that's 290 damage in one go, and since the M lasers are so light there's room for a ton of heat sinks AND literal tons of armor. Even if it's close to its heat threshold, I only have to dial it back to 4-5 lasers to cool down. It's crazy. The only drawback to that platform is that it does 0 stability damage at range.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Auto cannons do great amounts of damage also and knock down. Ac10 is as 60 damage with quite a bit of knock down effect.

Use pin point shot and pop a leg. Then use called shot for the other mechs to remove the other leg. Mechs shot like this will come up with two 1/3rd salvage sections.

Right now i use this on 55 ton platforms.

1 L.L. ++
2 SRM 6 ++
3 SRM 4 ++
4 1 srm ammo
Four or 5 jump jets
Two or three heat sinks
Full armor on the mech minus 1 ton off the rear

60 and 65 ton heavies get the same but,
4 hs
2 jump jets
2 srm 6++

My 70 ton heavy gets
4 hs
Ppc ++
LL ++
Lrm20++

When starting the game i had 3 mediums with that medium load out, and a firestarter stock. Use the fire starter to jump in and over heat a mech, use the 3 mediums to take out the legs or ct . I could usually core a ct of a heavy that way with the 3 mediums before i started using precision shot. The fire starter had more kills than any other mech.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Downloading it now. I've been reading up on it, and watching a bunch of Youtube reviews and play throughs. Looks great, can't wait to get into it.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post

Easily one of my favorite games. Every couple of years I play it from start to finish in a day. Heard about 5 and will definitely give it a try when it releases at the end of this year. Till then I'll give this a shot.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Game crashed during the initial moves on a story mission. Restart the game. Play the entire mission through until the end. The message from whatsherface comes up congratulating me...and the fucking game crashes.

Kill me now.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Game crashed during the initial moves on a story mission. Restart the game. Play the entire mission through until the end. The message from whatsherface comes up congratulating me...and the fucking game crashes.

Kill me now.

I feel for you, I hope it gets cleared up.

I wish i could make the cut scenes, movement, flight time go much faster. It is bearable the first 3 times after that, shit needs to move the fuck along.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Read the patch notes for the latest update. It addresses the issue of eliminating combat cinematics in order to speed it up.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Read the patch notes for the latest update. It addresses the issue of eliminating combat cinematics in order to speed it up.

ETA of july, that will be very nice.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy playing it when I can. Supported the Kickstarter and waited patiently. Glad its now here!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started playing Battletech, the board game, in 1991. Played a lot through 2000 or so, and started playing again a few times per year back in 2015. Painted a bunch of mechs Dec-March

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just played the story mission where you have to destroy a drop ship suspected of transporting munitions. Ugh, that battle at the end with Lady Arano's cousin! Glad that bitch is locked up. Took her Catapult as salvage. It's the largest mech I've captured. Gotta find two more to complete it.

Has anyone made it far enough to see an Atlas? I'm suspecting they're only going to be in the last couple of missions so you can't really use one.

And lastly, is it possible to field more than four 'mechs?

posted Hide Post
It depends on how far you are along in the non story line. for me in that mission she has a battlemaster.yes i have seen an atlas, i currently use a highlander with gauss. I just captured my first battlemaster.

My lance, highlander 2c, 3x Orion.

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone, its great being able to talk tactics and general mission objectives, but since the story line can obviously take some twists and turns like any good story, lets try not spoil the actual specifics of the story line for others that haven't gotten that far. Wink

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Dtech, everyone dies at the end.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
What is the time period of the game? Pre-Clan? Clan? Post-Clan? Post-Sphere?

Based on some if the mech names you all have mentioned, I’m going to assume pre Clan invasion. But someone please let me know.

I’ll look it up soon. I’m more into the Mechwarrior series but I do love my old Battletech games. I still have Inception on my Atari ST. I can’t find my Revenge disc.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cresent hawks revenge. !

ore 3025 by a few years ish then 3025 pre clan.

THough the clan had made several covert merc groups. KellHounds, Wolf's Dragoons etc.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Love that era too. I've read pretty much every Battletech novel from the old days and own all the Stackpole ones. I didn't get much into the post-Shere novels other than the Stackpole ones so I could see what happened to Victor.

Should I spring for the digital deluxe package?

Regular - $39.99
Digital Deluxe - $49.99

additional DLC - $12.99 (no clue what's in this)

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just buy the regular version. The Deluxe contains a soundtrack.

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Choswer...here save yourself some money. This is where I bought mine:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/battletech

This is for the regular game...as Orguss mentioned the Digital Deluxe doesn't really give you anything game related. Considering how well received the game has been I suspect that we are going to see some good add-ons and actual game related downloadable content (DLC) but they haven't released any yet. The DLC give you access to download future add-ons as part of your DLC investment.

After playing quite a few hours, I'd just like to say....my name is Dtech and I'm a Mechaholic. I love this game. Big Grin

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just used an atlas for the second time. What i really want is a couple of dual gauss rifles and a solitaire running a heavy l.l.