SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Damn i love midwinters dram.

I meant to say i can get it for you g10. I cant do any malt flavorings.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
So guys, wheres all the new hooch? Not time yet?

I've been told it's coming by my ABC contacts, but nothing yet other than the second release of Blood Pact which I'm not interested in. Otherwise, 2 bottles of the Michter's Barrel Proof Rye is the only thing I've purchased lately.

Deqlyn, I'd really love a bottle of Weller 12 since I have zero chance of getting one here, but I'm not sure I have anything you might want. I don't see an email in your profile, so shoot me one and I'll tell you what I've got.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Sent! I will say g10 has some dibs. Maybe we can all share the love!

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
The gods agree that those who participate in whiskey sales and trading at prices above retail ought to be beaten with spaghetti noodles repeatedly until they've seen the light.

I'm no fan of flippers, but I'm also a free market kind of guy. It could be argued they are providing a service the highly regulated alcohol market is incapable of providing. Let me ask you, in what world is a bottle of George T Stagg worth 4 bottles of Four Roses Yellow Label. The anser is none, and the Four Roses will actually cost you a bit more. My point is price alone is not an indicator of quality or desirability, and in the bourbon world, it frequently bears little relation.

Trading is hard because the traders intuitively understand that. Trying to trade dollar for dollar while also matching quality for quality can be particularly difficult.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ so if I went around buying up all of the potable water and gasoline and ammo and sold it back to everyone at a steep profit justified in part by the scarcity that I helped create, couching that nonsense as 'providing a service', that would be cool, right? And if I went to Home Depot and similar stores and bought up all of the plywood and generators the day of an enormous hurricane and did the same, that would be cool, too, right?

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's moral or a good idea or cool. As with many things, freedom has unintended consequences - some of which are brought out by the evil that lies within the hearts of some, and whiskey flipping and the extreme profiteering of it is no exception. Granted, I don't want government to fix this for me, but I wouldn't complain if the mob beat those who did it with dry spaghetti noodles, vigorously and repeatedly.

Fuckers.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ive seen that used twice now. How big are these intended spaghetti noodles? Like the big flat ladagna kind or we talkin angel hair? Razz

Also anyone jumped on those norlan glasses?

https://norlanglass.com

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ive seen that used twice now. How big are these intended spaghetti noodles? Like the big flat ladagna kind or we talkin angel hair? Razz

You can be snooty about whisky without seeming snooty about whisky.....

...until you buy a specially-shaped glass for drinking whisky.

FWIW, I don't own a glencairn, either.

Also, I am not saying you're snooty if you have glencairn glasses. But you MAY be...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm staying away. I know folks who have them and they're not impressed.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
^ so if I went around buying up all of the potable water and gasoline and ammo and sold it back to everyone at a steep profit justified in part by the scarcity that I helped create, couching that nonsense as 'providing a service', that would be cool, right? And if I went to Home Depot and similar stores and bought up all of the plywood and generators the day of an enormous hurricane and did the same, that would be cool, too, right?

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's moral or a good idea or cool. As with many things, freedom has unintended consequences - some of which are brought out by the evil that lies within the hearts of some, and whiskey flipping and the extreme profiteering of it is no exception. Granted, I don't want government to fix this for me, but I wouldn't complain if the mob beat those who did it with dry spaghetti noodles, vigorously and repeatedly.

Fuckers.

Smile

I understand your feelings on the subject, but that's the market at work. It seeks it's own level. And, unless it's a monopoly/oligopoly, no one person creates the phenomenon. <Econ geek warning>

Your examples above fail to account for the elasticity of demand which plays a big role. For example, demand for water is inelastic, it is a necessary commodity. It can be conserved to a point, but ultimately people will pay whatever is necessary to get it. Demand for bourbon, however, is very elastic. It is not necessary (except for you, maybe Wink ) so rising prices affect demand significantly. We simply go without. Because demand for these two products is completely different, they can't be compared in a meaningful way, and the same is true in your other examples when the circumstances make their demand more inelastic. Ammo is a probably the closest example you provide to bourbon in elasticity. Few of us need it to survive day to day, it just pisses us off to change our behavior or pay more.

Flippers do provide a service, despite what you believe. If they move a commodity from where it is plentiful and priced low to an area where it is scarce and price high they increase supply and reducing prices in that area. In the case of bourbon, states like VA corrupt the market by selling some bourbon at artificially low prices. This creates artificial demand, i.e. flippers, and incentivizes profiteering.

If I asked you to pick me up a bottle of George T Stagg for a party this weekend, but I only gave you $80.00, you'd probably fail. If, however, I gave you $800, you could make it happen. You may not like it, and choose not to participate most of the time, but it's there if you really want it. That's the service the market provides. And remember, flippers need a buyer to make it work, so it's not just them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

You can be snooty about whisky without seeming snooty about whisky.....

...until you buy a specially-shaped glass for drinking whisky.

FWIW, I don't own a glencairn, either.

Also, I am not saying you're snooty if you have glencairn glasses. But you MAY be...

Haha. None taken. I got some waterford crystal or whatever they are for xmas i posted about awhile back. I use those on new bourbons as they are like glencairns.

Normally i use my richard bishop painted duck bar glasses. Or i also have a baileys type snifter that the liquor store sold for 1$ from a holiday pack. It fits in the hand well and is nice and heavy.

Berto, thanks, i saw some bad reviews about the glass breaking etc...

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
I drink my ETL and Blanton's neat in a Bon Mamman jam jar. Does that make me snooty 'cause it's French (the jar, that is)? Heh, heh. Razz

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
What bothers me about the Bourbon market is gluttony. Buy what you'll drink in a reasonable amount if time. If you keep a realtively well stocked cabinet of bourbon you shouldn't need more than a few bottles of a particular brand or age. If you drink it up move on to others.

To buy up extra bottles to turn around and sell for profit on the secondary market deprives others of the opportunity in the open market.

I gave up the chase for bourbon, I remember before hipsters (in ATL) began buying up all the Bourbon. Lot B ETL, Weller 12 were readily available. now I'll buy what I like that's available, I keep track of releases and I keep an eye out, I haven't had a hard time getting ECBP, Stagg Jr., ETL Weller antique, and I keep one back up, but when I see ECBP on the shelf I don't buy all 4 or 6 keep two and sell the others.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
I've always been led to believe that it's very bad karma to buy up all the bottles on the shelf (if you're buying more than one), regardless of its scarcity! Wink

JMHO,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ive passed on quite a bit of stuff recently. My bar is full full.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I like variety, and have been guilty of buying a little back stock on a few staples I liked that were hard to find here. I have more than 50 bottles and 28 different kinds with about 20 open right now. I would also buy extras for friends on occasion. That's all ended with the advent of the lottery system, so accumulating back stock has become difficult. Glad I have a little bit, now, though drinking the last of something I like and can't replace is bittersweet.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Back to bourbon

Has anyone had old forester prohibition it I s bottled at 115 with no age statement. It was priced at $60 which is average retail for this but I wonder if it's worth it. The store had a barrel selection of Blantons for the same price. I already have Blantons so I passed on it.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I havent drank old forrester since it went up from 12 bucks. Used to be my go to. Now its 22ish. Ive had the birthday boirbon and it wasnt worth 70 so i would say no on prohibition. If it was good id have heard about it Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Back to bourbon

Has anyone had old forester prohibition it I s bottled at 115 with no age statement. It was priced at $60 which is average retail for this but I wonder if it's worth it. The store had a barrel selection of Blantons for the same price. I already have Blantons so I passed on it.

The 1920? I've heard good things about the 1920 and will buy a bottle when it hits out here.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Picked up a bottle of the 2016 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon in CT. Waiting for it to show up here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts. Supposed to be the best edition in the last decade. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Large bundles of spaghetti noodles, like bamboo stalks swung by Babe Ruth.

Service or not, it's a net negative, and eeeeeeeeeevil.

Smile

(I have a glencarin glass, got it for free. Still use a mason jar most of the time.)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post