SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Heh. I remember that match well. That avatar is almost an exact reproduction of the first of two sitting rapid fire strings. After looking at the first one I thought "Ok, I'm doing something to my position during the reload that's pushing the group out the left. So, this time I'll hold off to the right to compensate after the reload." IOW, I did exactly what you suggested. And the 2nd group of the 2nd string went. . . exactly where I aimed it. So the 2nd target looked like a mirror image of the first. I went home thoroughly frustrated that day. Razz

Some days, you can shoot a bug on a target; other days, you're the bug.

That's never happened to me.

Today.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by md-lucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I WAS going to go shoot a belly match this weekend up in Puyallup, but it looks now like I'm going to have to stay home and take care of an ailing dog instead. Yeah I'm a little cranky about it because this is one match I look forward to all year (even though I also regularly get my hat handed to me by 16 year old girls). Roll Eyes

Oh man!

I'm actually making the 500 mile 7.5 hour drive over for this one.. Smile

Too bad you can't make it. Anyone else going to be there? It's "only" 600 yards but I have heard really good things about the range and folks who help put this one together.

Are we talking about the same match? I assumed that you were in MD from your user name. This one is a ways outside of Seattle WA. The Pacific NW International.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
Yes.

MD has nothing to do with that state on the other side of the country.

Puyallup is only about 700 miles away. Not 2700. Wink

"At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons and magazines were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." Department of Justice study conducted by Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper

Posts: 2339 | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Ok, cool. Yeah it's a pretty nice range. Sits right in the middle of town. Just on the other side of the hill from where the targets are is a shopping center. So they're real big on preventing ND's. There's a camping area between the rifle range and the trap range if you're so inclined; there's always a group of mostly Oregonians who stay there. The guy who's going to rebarrel my Rem 700 for me (as soon as I can get ahead of the bills) should be in that group; his name is John.

The 3/5/600 yard firing lines are on about the same level as the targets (300 a bit lower, 500 & 600 a bit higher), but there's a dip in the middle (just in front of the 300 yard line). The entrance to the club is on one side of that dip and the camping area is on the other side. It creates a sort of wind tunnel straight across the range. There are wind flags on both sides right there, but experience has taught that they're often the wrong indicator to use. They tend to get wrapped around their poles or hung up in the trees. Trust the mirage more than the flags when you get back to 500 and 600. It's usually not very much wind, but it switches around a lot, especially later in the afternoon.

Bob, the guy who runs the match, busts his butt getting everything ready. He has back issues and shoots the match KNEELING. Really good guy. Have fun, I wish I could be there. Next year for sure... Wink

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started working up loads for the "tacti-cool" 6BR. This is the winner so far. 30.5/Varget/105 Hybrid jumped .010, CCI450, 5rds/100yds. Will shoot it at distance soon, see how it holds up. Maybe it will shoot inside the 6x47?

Unfortanetly my CED chrono quit working Mad won't pick up a shot in full sun. I'll swap stuff around with a friends CED, try to figure out what's wrong.

I've had all my triggers timed to the actions, this one is the smoothest, can close the bolt with my pinky.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:

Questions:
- Where did you get a dime that's 4" in diameter?
- I don't see any powder residue on the target. Does Varget really burn that cleanly?

< rimshot >

Nice shooting. Really frickin' nice shooting. Looking forward to hearing more about this rig.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Lookin great offgrid.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Looking forward to hearing more about this rig.

Come shoot CRC tomorrow, maybe you'll see it in person. Thinking hard about shooting it tomorrow, run a few rounds though a friends Magneeto chrono.....

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Looking forward to hearing more about this rig.

Come shoot CRC tomorrow, maybe you'll see it in person. Thinking hard about shooting it tomorrow, run a few rounds though a friends Magneeto chrono.....

I would enjoy that, however I will be working at the family ranch all weekend. I'm hoping that once all the tree felling and log splitting is done, I will be able to ring steel a few times.

I'm seriously considering blowing off a sporting clays tourney on Sep 13 and attending the T3 rifle match.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm seriously considering blowing off a sporting clays tourney on Sep 13 and attending the T3 rifle match.

Hope to see you there.

Time management is a big part of these matches. Some tips maybe you haven't thought of.

Take your sling off your rifle when shooting a stage, it will eventually get in the way.

Square yourself to the first target when standing waiting for the go, place your rifle down aligned on the first target.

If you're using wind meter, look at it between stages, don't wait until you get to the stage.

As you know, some of the stages you'll need to adjust your bi-pod between shots. I've found it easier/faster to roll on my weak side lift up the rifle and bring it to me to adjust the bi-pod. Practice that. Opposed to dragging myself to the bi-pod. Also look at the shooting position, try to determine bi-pod height before shooting. Can eat up lots of time messing with a bi-pod. Copy others who shoot with their bi-pods the same height as you.

Don't have to shoot targets in order, near to far. Sometimes go for a further more generous width target to figure out the wind.

Have a plan for the stage, don't copy what everyone else is doing. I'll shoot the roof position first on the shoot house stage. For me that's the most stable position, get a good wind call.

5rd stage, 6rds in the mag.

Don't trust anyones miss calls. Dirt splashes often look low/high to a spotter, when in fact it was L/R miss.

If you tell me the DA just went up 500', I will take your DA device from you Big Grin

Have fun!

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Shoot the 6br at distance yet? What kind of velocity you getting?

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Shoot the 6br at distance yet? What kind of velocity you getting?

Shot it Saturday at square range steel match, max 550yds. Met a friend before the match and chrono'd the 30.5/Hybrid load, 2820. He also shoots a 6BR, shot 4 of his rounds 29.5 H4895/Hybrid jumped .010 in my chamber, put them in the same hole, 2870 fps. Missed my first shot of the match, not the way I wanted to start! Managed a 2nd place tie in the AM match.

Ran a few rounds through it today at 100yds. Varget/105 VLD's jammed .010 and the H4895/Hybrids jumped .010 look very good. The Varget/30.3/VLD's and 29.7/4895/Hybrids right at 2880. I was screwing around with my elevation on the scope between groups. Have 210 rds on the barrel, most likely it's settle in.

Going down to Raton next weekend for a steel match, will bring the 6BR along and shoot it at the Whittington Center on paper at distance.

I've only shot it at 100yds on paper and wacked some steel, but I have never had a rifle shoot this well out of the gate with different loads, there's definetly something special about these small capacity case 6mm's. I know you guys are out there who single feed your factory R700's punching paper. If considering re-barreling your rifles, the 6BR is a sweety!

26" 6x47 with just over 2000rds is starting to scatter a bit, looks like a shotgun compared to the 6BR. Probably shoot only one or two more field steel matches with it and then pull the barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: offgrid,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Time management is a big part of these matches. Some tips maybe you haven't thought of.....

Thanks -- some good things to consider.

It looks like the 6br is shooting quite well, and that you be pullin' the trigger well, too.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Time management is a big part of these matches. Some tips maybe you haven't thought of.....

Thanks -- some good things to consider.

It looks like the 6br is shooting quite well, and that you be pullin' the trigger well, too.

I'm actually giddy about the 6BR. Look forward to seeing what it will do at 600yds. A good friend who has been shooting 6BR's for several years told me if I chambered one I wouldn't shoot my other rifles. I can kind of see that, it's so much fun to shoot such an accuarate rifle.

Drop me a e-mail if you are going to shoot T3, fun to squad up with you. I promise I'll mostly behave. Glad to bring you a pile of conveyer belt straps with bolt holes drilled in them.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Unfortanetly my CED chrono quit working Mad won't pick up a shot in full sun. I'll swap stuff around with a friends CED, try to figure out what's wrong.

Mine lasted less than 4 months (bought it late April), and it quite giving accurate readings. I called Midway USA in late July (where I bought it) and they told me tough shit - take it up with CED, who has stonewalled me. There goes $200.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm actually giddy about the 6BR. Look forward to seeing what it will do at 600yds. A good friend who has been shooting 6BR's for several years told me if I chambered one I wouldn't shoot my other rifles. I can kind of see that, it's so much fun to shoot such an accuarate rifle.

Drop me a e-mail if you are going to shoot T3, fun to squad up with you. I promise I'll mostly behave. Glad to bring you a pile of conveyer belt straps with bolt holes drilled in them.

I have heard of the 6BR's "magic" for some time now. But you're the first person I know who has one.

Assuming nothing happens to my schedule, I am signed up for the T3 shoot. I'd enjoy shooting with you and learning from "the master". And yes, I have seen your scores on prior shoots. I will be disappointed if you behave. Very disappointed.

And I will be uber pleased to take some conveyor belts off your hands. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:

Mine lasted less than 4 months (bought it late April), and it quite giving accurate readings. I called Midway USA in late July (where I bought it) and they told me tough shit - take it up with CED, who has stonewalled me. There goes $200.

Bummer for sure.

My CED is about 4yrs old. Swapped stuff around, unfortantely the display box is the problem.

Been watching for this chrono to come out, http://mylabradar.com/

I'll either get the Labradar or a Magneto V3. I've shot through 3 different Magneto's, two V2's and a V3. Worked well, easy. Though I did get a POI shift with the Magneto on my 26" medium palma, zero shift 28" heavy palma.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Today shot the biggest tactical style match I've done so far. Some great shooters there and feel I picked up a few things. Did well until next to the last stage and was near the top. Committed the ultimate sin on that stage and hit the hostage! Had to engage two coyote targets at 575 and 630 from an ATV, then drop prone and shoot two targets either side of a hostage at 875. Cleared the coyotes holding around 1/4 mil right. Dropped prone and wind switched. I caught it and held half mil left of the left target and hit the hostage dead center. That erased all points for that stage and minused an additional 50. I paid the price for that and fell way back. Last stage was a race type stage where three shooters line up to see who could hit their assigned target at 900 the quickest. Think I dropped down, closed bolt, got the hit in around 6 or 7 seconds and won my relay. Ive been practicing that one a lot lately. That put me finishing somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Had a great time, met some great guys and gals, and learned a lot. For any of you on the fence about trying one of these things go for it. Got soaking wet in the morning and sun burned in the afternoon but had a blast.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Today shot the biggest tactical style match I've done so far. Some great shooters there and feel I picked up a few things. Did well until next to the last stage and was near the top. Committed the ultimate sin on that stage and hit the hostage! Had to engage two coyote targets at 575 and 630 from an ATV, then drop prone and shoot two targets either side of a hostage at 875. Cleared the coyotes holding around 1/4 mil right. Dropped prone and wind switched. I caught it and held half mil left of the left target and hit the hostage dead center. That erased all points for that stage and minused an additional 50. I paid the price for that and fell way back. Last stage was a race type stage where three shooters line up to see who could hit their assigned target at 900 the quickest. Think I dropped down, closed bolt, got the hit in around 6 or 7 seconds and won my relay. Ive been practicing that one a lot lately. That put me finishing somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Had a great time, met some great guys and gals, and learned a lot. For any of you on the fence about trying one of these things go for it. Got soaking wet in the morning and sun burned in the afternoon but had a blast.

I hope they found a replacement for me. I let him know on Wednesday that I was too sick to make it. Saturday was the first time I have felt better in the last week.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
280, pretty sure they picked someone up.

Someone posted a video of my relay on the last race stage. I committed to a left edge plate hold right before plopping down and glad I did. Think the others were trying center.

https://www.facebook.com/video...8339&type=2&theater#

Going to have to keep working on the wind reading and really work on sitting positions. I dropped a few points early on by not getting the position built correctly and rushing things.