SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
Finally got my subcompact today. What a great gun, so solid. Could stand to get the DA pull reduced a little, but otherwise, can't find a fault with the thing. Can't wait to shoot it.

Mine came in today as well. The DA is nearly identical to my P239, maybe a touch heavier, and the SA is the same as the P239 in pull, but possibly crisper. Just a tiny amount of creep. Also,it fits my hand perfectly.

The pistol looks carved, not manufactured. Shooting it will tell the story.

It's cleaned, lubed, and set for the range tomorrow.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new SDPs MusProd and RobC2... hope you enjoy it!
Anxious to hear the range reports from all the new owners.

A couple of SIGs and some others...

Posts: 979 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally got my subcompact today. What a great gun, so solid. Could stand to get the DA pull reduced a little, but otherwise, can't find a fault with the thing. Can't wait to shoot it.

Congrats to you and MusProd. I'd only suggest your final thoughts on the trigger after a couple hundred rounds,...if that. Everything just set in on mine and it's even better than right out of the box, which is extremely good already. I think you'll both be very pleased.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I agree Tundra, need to get it out there and break it in a bit before any lasting impressions. I have been doing some dry firing with a snap cap and it already feels smoother.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree Tundra, need to get it out there and break it in a bit before any lasting impressions. I have been doing some dry firing with a snap cap and it already feels smoother.

Look forward to your thoughts after you've shot it. I put another couple hundred rounds through mine today. No issues of any kind. It's ate everything I've thrown at it. It does have a liking for the Winchester Ranger 127 +P+ ammo I use for carry. Shot another 26 rounds of it today. That's over 50 rounds of it through the gun now out of aprox 600 rounds fired. I've been really looking through mine tonight and am just amazed at the quality of the parts used. Still not sure how it's made in Switzerland, built this well, and made available at this price point...but I'm not going to argue. Just going to pick up a few more in the near future as the ones I want come out. Cool

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like a pretty neat pistol. Though I'm not sure I can support the "superb value" title when there are many proven 9mm pistols that are accurate, durable, and reliable that cost less (sometimes much less) then $800.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
It seems like a pretty neat pistol. Though I'm not sure I can support the "superb value" title when there are many proven 9mm pistols that are accurate, durable, and reliable that cost less (sometimes much less) then $800.

I'd encourage you to try one if possible. A friend of mine bought one and let me shoot it. I knew it was something special for the asking price. The manufacturer is well established in the competition market and known for quality guns. Remember, this isn't a striker fired gun, but a quality DA/SA handgun. When you put it in with Classic Sigs or HKs, you're right in the same or lower price point as those. When you consider a lot of those who own those guns, (myself included), one of the first things you consider doing is sending it off for trigger work. This gun don't need that. Comes with a real match trigger straight from the factory. Now you really start seeing the value. It won't replace my Sigs or HKs, but it will certainly be a gun that gets used regularly along with them.

It's something you won't understand until you experience it. Like anything else, I realize it won't be everyone's cup of tea, however, if you try one, and it's something you can afford, you might just buy one. Smile

posted Hide Post
Friday I shot a hundred rounds of WWB and fifty rounds of Federal through my SDP Compact. It was a lot've fun. Recoil manages very similarly to a P226 or, I would imagine, a P229. The accuracy is above and beyond my ability to exploit, but I look forward to growing into the weapon.

Psalm 144:1

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
Good to hear artoffence. Keep us informed as you get more opportunities to shoot it.

posted Hide Post
This might sound strange, but one of the things I love about DA/SA firearms is the ability to dry fire without working the slide. It's a pleasure to train my trigger press on the Sphinx. Honestly, the DA is heavier than the Sigs and HK's I've held, but it is smooth and the glass break at the end is satisfying. Hopefully Defiance will get their HALO sights approved so I can buy a set. Couldn't lay hands on a Sphinx with them so I've got the blacked out rear and white dot front. Would CZ night sights work or would they have to be built specifically for an SDP?

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by artoffence:
Would CZ night sights work or would they have to be built specifically for an SDP?

I'm not 100% on this, but pretty confident in saying CZ sights will not fit this gun. I'm thinking someone besides Sphinx will come out with them too.

posted Hide Post
Well, after reading all the rave reviews and postive comments on the SPHINX, decided to order the SDP Compact.
Been buying pistolas from Donna for alot of years (a super Seller) and had her order one. It arrived, and I should have it early this coming week.
Looking forward to taking it to the range and seeing how this baby performs. Appreciate all the reviews and info.

Posts: 979 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to the range for the first time with my new Compact earlier this week. WOW what a fun handgun to shoot. It is everything that everyone has said. Superb balance, fit, finish and very accurate. It's as comfortable as a lazy boy recliner on a Friday night! Put 200 rounds of Federal 115 grain through it without any issues at all in less than an hour. Gun's fantastic and so is Donna. Thanks to all the members from this Newbie for all the positive and accurate information!

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
This might sound strange, but one of the things I love about DA/SA firearms is the ability to dry fire without working the slide.<snip>

I just cock the hammer to dry fire my SAO SIGs.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
This might sound strange, but one of the things I love about DA/SA firearms is the ability to dry fire without working the slide.<snip>

I just cock the hammer to dry fire my SAO SIGs.

And not what he is talking about. His comparison is to a striker.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a bummer about the CZ sights, but I look forward to products built specifically for the Sphinx.

I'm glad to hear about all the good experiences with the SDP model. I want a Standard Alpha to go with my Compact but that would just be an indulgence I can't afford right now.

The people I work for don't like to let us carry SAO so I don't own one of those yet. Even so, I'd rather not have to draw back the hammer every time I press the trigger. I also prefer the long, heavy DA pull during practice. Conversely I was issued a striker fired handgun, and I purchased a P320 myself. Those require operation of the slide in order to simulate a live trigger press and this is what I was referring to. The extra step feels wasteful by comparison and the striker action is so much easier to operate than DA on traditional double action that I'm not really getting much bang (trigger press improvement) for my buck (time spent practicing). So I use my Sphinx for that, even though I like the ergonomics of the P320 almost as much. Almost!

posted Hide Post
artoffence... I purchased a SIG P320 Compact a couple of months ago (my first striker) and really like the pistola alot. For me, trigger has a great pull, its been a flawless shoot and is extremely accurate... and love the fit/feel. Hope you enjoy yours.
Ordered an SDP Compact from Donna, should be here Monday... really looking forward to shooting it. All the reviews and input from owners has been very helpful!

posted Hide Post
I think I'll collect various calibers for the range with my P320 and keep my Sphinx for training/concealed carry when I'm eligible to change my off duty.

The P320 is a blast to shoot, but I love traditional double action. Legendary shooters like Bruce Gray and Ernest Langdon have been an inspiration to me, and a sudden love for Swiss craftsmanship sealed the deal on the Sphinx.

The history lover in me wishes I had a P210 and a K31 to take to the range. A K31 is within my grasp, the P210 not so much. Maybe some day. In the meanwhile I'll enjoy something I think is just as impressive and a lot more practical, the Sphinx SDP.

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EJO:
artoffence... I purchased a SIG P320 Compact a couple of months ago (my first striker) and really like the pistola alot. For me, trigger has a great pull, its been a flawless shoot and is extremely accurate... and love the fit/feel. Hope you enjoy yours.
Ordered an SDP Compact from Donna, should be here Monday... really looking forward to shooting it. All the reviews and input from owners has been very helpful!

Glad to hear you're going to get yours soon and look forward to your thoughts.

I got some new ammo to try, and if all goes well, which I suspect it will, I'll probably start carrying this ammo...Underwood 124gn JHP Gold Dot Bonded +P+ rated at a conservative 1300 fps. I love Underwood ammo, and it's got an awesome reputation. The 357 Sig 125 gn Gold Dot JHP out of my P2000 clocks out at over 1500 fps. Box says 1450 fps.

posted Hide Post
Wowza! That's got some juice on it. How's the gold dot hold up to that kind of velocity in testing? Might have to get a box or three for myself.