SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Flork's Lubrication Recommendation
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation Login/Join 
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
Oh well - I'm a noob...

Apparently the hyper-link thing is automatic.

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Defiant One
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HawkeyeJohn:
Anyone here seen/read Grant Cunningham's article?

http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Yes, and HERE is more on the topic with my link to the stuff he recommends.

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt!"

~ Unknown

Posts: 193 | Location: Lincoln, NE | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sundo:
Also, are there any cleaners that do not emit noxious fumes? I've been using Hoppe's #9, but I need to wear a gas mask every time I clean.

Try M-Pro7, it doesn't smell at all. It does clean slightly "differently" than Hoppe's though. Not necessarily better or worse, I like to use them both to get it really clean.

Posts: 5 | Location: LA, CA | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I found the SFL-0 on Lubriplate's site, but see nothing about FMO-AW or 350AW or 1-gal. pails. Is he talking about the multi-weight (AW.. all-weather?)motor oil in 345 weight? Available in cases of qt. bottles?
quote:
Originally posted by Defiant One:
quote:

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too was only using oil on my guns, as this was the way I was taught. Thanks to Flork, I will try grease during my next cleaning.

Question though, I have some Lubriplate Areo... is this ok, "or good as" the Lubriplate 130-A mil spec grease? If not, I will get the correct grease. I don't want to use something that is inferior any longer.

Here's the pdf on the Lubriplate Areo.

Thanks for the informative post! To further my knowledge on gun cleaning and lubrication, I look forward to your future posts!!!

-----------------------

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
Hmm. I found the SFL-0 on Lubriplate's site, but see nothing about FMO-AW or 350AW or 1-gal. pails. Is he talking about the multi-weight (AW.. all-weather?)motor oil in 345 weight? Available in cases of qt. bottles?
quote:
Originally posted by Defiant One:
quote:

This is what we use here at Apex on all guns.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...4/Product/LUBRIPLATE

I've also used the Mil spec grease for guns as well. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx..._A_MIL__SPEC__GREASE

------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."
Leonard Novak - "Thee Gambler" (SASS)
------------------------------------------------

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

http://www.apextactical.com/bl...nternal-lubrication/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
I gotta bump this just so I don't loose it.

very helpful information here. I vote for stickyfying it.

I'm still watching for updates.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
I gotta bump this just so I don't loose it.

very helpful information here. I vote for stickyfying it.

I'm still watching for updates.

FYI. Add it to your 'Favorites' list. That way it won't get lost in the abyss of old posts.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
you do have to bump it from time to time to keep it from getting pruned by the softwear

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMidJr
posted Hide Post
Great post! +1 on looking forward to part 2 - lubricating the other moving parts.

Sig P239SAS Gen 1 .40
S&W 29-2 5"
S&W 19-3 6"
Colt Det Spcl 2"
SIG P238
Next Sig ____(?)

Posts: 74 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lorenasa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great post! +1 on looking forward to part 2 - lubricating the other moving parts.

+1 I am new to the world of handguns and I would really love to see some pictures of what all I should be lubing and how much and with what....etc. Please if you can post the part 2. Smile

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" -- Jim Elliot

Posts: 311 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. Trying to reconcile a couple of things here. GGI and Co. use grease because they believe that it offers the best protection for frame rails, etc. I came across a linked thread here in which the creator of weaponshield has stated that grease only offers some benefits in some very select applications i.e. full auto heavy guns etc, but it doesn't protect any better. GGI obviously know their firearms, but then again Fennell is a chemist and knows his lube.

Has Flork or anyone else had a chance to talk to anyone at weaponshield about lube?

Posts: 215 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi again on gun coatings, if a product such as QPQ is applied to the frame and barrel, later if one wants to try Otis Lifeliner, the ceramic barrel coating, will the total of both coatings reduce the bore dimension to cause a problem with shooting? Would you have to remove one of the processes before using another one

Posts: 259 | Location: San Diego, Ca (a dumb state) | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Too good of a thread to let it get pruned....

TTT

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Flork, where's part II?

www.sabrewerks.com
sales@sabrewerks.com

Posts: 501 | Location: Central WI | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trigger mike
posted Hide Post
i just started useing grease and i think i like if better then useing oil (go grease)lol

Posts: 174 | Location: odessa FL | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But remember, you have to be careful with grease especially when it gets colder... for those dealing with cold blasts of winter, grease can gum up if not thin enough...

But it all comes down to work, if you lube regularly, you can get away with using oil or light lubricants year round...

Sig XFive AA

Posts: 61 | Registered: August 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smilodon:
Hey Flork, where's part II?

This!!

Also, any news on the grease mix?

Posts: 13 | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
I'm working on the internals article.

The grease mix was a GGI thing, so I've stopped working on that since I left GGI.

Scott

------------------------------
Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."
Leonard Novak - "Thee Gambler" (SASS)
------------------------------------------------

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

http://www.apextactical.com/bl...nternal-lubrication/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XTrooper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simarXFive:
But remember, you have to be careful with grease especially when it gets colder... for those dealing with cold blasts of winter, grease can gum up if not thin enough...

Unless you use a synthetic grease like the Tetra gun grease I've been using for years. Its operating temperature range is from -100°F to 750°F which should cover any "cold blasts of winter" that may be encountered.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
NRA-certified LE Firearms Instructor
Right way's the hardest. Wrong way's the easiest. A rule of nature like water seeks the path of least resistance. So you get crooked rivers and crooked men.

Posts: 419 | Location: Retired and living in the mountains of NE Pennsylvania | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post