SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    45. ACP - who carries it still? Or is it a 9mm world?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45. ACP - who carries it still? Or is it a 9mm world? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weshowe:
Gents,

I don't care about caliber. Mostly it's a .45 ACP, but I also use the 9mm, .38 Super, and .357 Sig.

Don't get hung up on caliber...placement is everything.

Wes

"38 Super" I'm not worthy! Absolutely love that cartridge. Ed Brown makes one with lots of scroll work. Lovely pistol. Cheers!

Posts: 55 | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve carried 9mm almost exclusively for many years, occasionally .380. I did just pick up a second P220 that will probably see some carry.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still carry mine, but with the way of the world lately I've started using a G19 with a 17rnd mag in it, 19rnd backup mag and 2 26rnd mags in the truck console.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
I’m bouncing between my P245 and P320/.45ACP

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This post has been a good one for me.

I have tried several CCW over many years and at one time I carried a full size 1911 IWB. When the Glock 43 came out I had to have one. I have 2 good holsters and am always looking for a better one. Here recently I have been thinking about changing. These posts, and I have read every one, have made me realize I have what I need, I shoot it really well out to 50 yards and what I need to do is do what I set out to do... SHOOT THAT 43 !! it works ! Today I ordered the sights I have been wanting, I put that inner tube on the grip, I am going to add an extended slide stop and shoot it more...

Posts: 787 | Registered: April 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to add an extended slide stop and shoot it more...

You mean your going to shoot more to gain skill instead of buying a new gun in hopes it will make YOU shoot better........crazy talk I tell you...crazy talk. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
i just cant wrap my head around a 9mm being better than a 40 or a 45 ACP, I run a 357 sig at work and a small CM9 off duty

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rockrivr1
posted Hide Post
Depends on the time of year. Fall, winter and early spring I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in 45acp in a Mitch Rosen IWB rig. Great cold weather carry gun. Summer though I'm usually in shorts and a tshirt and I switch to pocket carry with a Kahr PM9 in 9mm or at times a Keltec P3AT in .380.

Posts: 59 | Location: Mendon, Massachusetts | Registered: April 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
I still love carrying around my P227 Carry in my Crossbreed holster. 10 rounds of .45!

““My mother always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana.” —Betty White

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
i just cant wrap my head around a 9mm being better than a 40 or a 45 ACP, I run a 357 sig at work and a small CM9 off duty

From my extremely limited understanding I believe it has to do with the higher velocity of the 9mm working better with expanding projectiles.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a .45 only rarely, a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail. I am trying at a late age to get over my dislike for a safety on a EDC. A discussion for a different time. Other than that I switch between 9mm and .40. I have never seen the big deal about snappy or recoil of the .40, maybe because I came to guns late in life and the .40 was only the second gun a bought. A Sig P226 that I used for everything including USPSA.

I reload .40 and .45 but it is not worth it to reload 9mm so for practice shooting a reloaded .45 out of a full size 1911 is a joy.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do currently, but only because I have a TON of .45 carry ammo that I need to burn through. Whenever I finally do, I'll switch to a 9mm in the same platform.

Posts: 20 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The_Watcher
posted Hide Post
I carry a 45 most days. Springfield Professional or a Sig Spartan full sized. I also have RMR Glocks JIC but I prefer the 1911

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I occasionally carry, in no particular order, a G36, 1911 Commander, and a P220 Carry. It's not dead for me. I have a Dillon press dedicated to .45, as it has been since 1991.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
Still in the .45 camp - EDC is a Shield 45.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first most carried pistol/caliber is a GLOCK 22, .40S&W, second most carried pistol/caliber SIG P220 .45ACP. With a four way tie for third place is in no particular order, HK P7 9X19mm, GLOCK 17 9X19mm, GLOCK 27 40S&W, SIG P6/225 9X19mm.

My everyday most of the time carried pistol/caliber is the GLOCK 22 40S&W. Because I trust that caliber over the 9X19mm just a little bit more. I have put down deer stuck by cars with all three calibers and. 40S&W seams to get the job done faster.

I carry the SIG P220 the second most because it is very accurate and I shoot it very well. As in fairly fast, and with good accuracy. As a matter of fact, I carried it yesterday.

The HK P7 and GLOCK 27 are carried when I need a smaller package, for a little deeper concealed carry than the full size guns. The HK P7 is my "BBQ gun", what I carry most of the time when I'm dressed up. But I sometimes carry it because I feel like it.

The GLOCK 17 9X19mm and the SIG P6 9X19mm,I carry them off and on, mostly when it strikes my fancy.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1) gun that works
2) caliber reasonably assured will stop a threat
Done
Don’t care 9/40/45/380/even .22
As long as I get to live another day
I like 9/45 ( just not a lot of exposure to 357 sig, and my experience with .40 is 45 is better for recoil control and more consistent results at the loading bench)
Bottom line caliber doesn’t matter reliability and shot placement does

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At home there is a Sig P-220 which is an old duty weapon of mine, a USP .45 , a Kimber Ultra Carry .45 , and a Les Baer Thunder Ranch model.

At work I am mandated to carry a Smith and Wesson M @ P C.O.R.E. M2.0 in 9mm which was issued to me about 2 months ago. The duty round is a Hornady Critical Duty FlexLock 135 gr 9mm +P. It is a sweet shooting pistol however I still don't fully trust that 9mm ammo is all that it is cracked up to be.

The Department had me retire my Sig P-220 and issued me a Glock Model 22 in it's place. I definitively felt that I had down graded in my duty weapon. About 5 years ago we switched to the Smith and Wesson M @ P in .40. I have no idea why as both fired the same .40 rounds with 15 rds mags. Both were striker fired and polymer frame pistols of about the same size. The only difference was the S@W had different size grip inserts to choose from.

So over the 30 years that I have worked for this Department I have carried the S @ W Model 66 in .357 mag. My Sig P-220 in .45 ACP , Glock 22 .40 , Smith@Wesson M and P in .40 and now finally this 9mm pistol.
I am glad that this will be my last duty weapon before I retire cuz it is a pain to break in the Level 3 holsters until they becomes smooth.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 126 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
I have over 1,000 rounds of .45 and .40 both in my house and no handguns chambered in either. Go figure.

#COMMUNISTMANBAD

Posts: 1743 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite cartridge is the .41 magnum; one of my favorites is the .45 acp. I shoot 9mm a lot more, for the cost and because it's what I shoot at matches (hobby only...no good at it).

I carry .357 Sig, and most often 9mm in the pocket.

My favorite concealed cartridge, however, remains .45 acp, though I don't carry it a lot presently, in the HK USP-C and HK45C.

I don't know why, but the .45 acp has always carried a lot of appeal for me. It's hard not to like.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post