SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What pistols have you owned, or fired that have just not lived up?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What pistols have you owned, or fired that have just not lived up? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I guess for me it would be a Beretta M9. Tried one that my BIL has. Never understood the fascination & didn't do anything for me. Another would be the Taurus Judge (and clones). Thought I was sure to want either, because I'm always looking for something different.

Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy that does not have a 1911 in 45ACP or a 9mm Glock. So what do I know???

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
More than several J Frame Smiths in .38/.357...the recoil (even with moderate "defensive" loads) and overall shooting "feel" always made me wish for a Model 10 or 19...I gave up on alloy framed J framed Smiths years ago (and I still cringe when someone suggests one for their wife/GF/significant other/new shooter to this day)...don't get me wrong "they are what they are" and if you go into it with that mindset...but so many folks don't.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt DS II and Official Police, the releases in the 90's. Both were defective. The DS has a loose shroud or something that kept turning. The OP was full of metal shavings on the inside. I returned them both for full refunds.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Interarms Walther PPK/S, unreliable

S&W 9m (early Sigma series compact gun only made for a year or two), once again unreliable. .

Sig P238, shot amazing groups and was a soft shooter but unreliable

S&W M&P Series guns. I've owned an M&P 9 fullsize, plus a few shields. None have done it for me. All were reliable but I couldn't shoot them worth a damn. I just don't see why these guns are loved so much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Anything from KELTEC...

That's it? I'm sure there is a more robust response possible. You pretty much drove by this thread at high speed shouting "I hate Keltec" out the window. Booooring.

Anyway.

Top of the shitpile (bottom?) would be the Steyr GB. I bought one used, so maybe that was the problem. It just wouldn't run, no matter the fiddling, ammo types etc.

Sig P229 in .40. Really, I blame .40 for this, because I love the P228, P225, and lots of other Sigs. One of the first guns I bought was the 229 in .40 with a .357 barrel for it as well, and it was a crap trigger inaccuracy festival. Never bought another .40.

Haven't had too many disappointments in firearms, at least that don't spring immediately to mind. The Ruger Mini-30 was an underwhelming experience. Mostly due to the magazines, and ho-hum accuracy.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

The steyr GB is on my shortlist. I would be interested in reading more about your issues. At the current price point of them I don't really want to waste the money if i need not to.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
M&P 2.0 Compact. I just could not shoot it near as well as almost any of my other pistols. However I am pretty sure it was that it was not a good fit for me. I tried one at the range with the stock grip and for me the reach to the trigger was too short and that the trigger broke so far back.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
P230SL cuts the crap out of web of my hand. Kicks way out of line for the feeble cartridge given its size and weight.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
1911, or Colt 1991A1 to be specific. I can make it work, but it takes parts, time and money before it'll suit me as well as a comparable Sig.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
Colt Double Eagle.

Replaced it with a West German Sig Sauer P226 in 1991.

And so began the journey...

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I bought a Mitchell Arms Victor 22, and I was lucky to get two shots in a row. Even shooting Remington Target ammo, which was what MA suggested would make it reliable, it still sucked.

I had a Glock 36 that was an unreliable POS. The captive recoil spring jumped the guide rod and required a take down with a mallet.

Springfield TRP 1911 was very poorly fit and also very unreliable. Traded it in for a Wilson and never looks back.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
M&P 2.0 Compact. I just could not shoot it near as well as almost any of my other pistols. However I am pretty sure it was that it was not a good fit for me. I tried one at the range with the stock grip and for me the reach to the trigger was too short and that the trigger broke so far back.

I felt the same way until I shot the 3.6". Try one if you get a chance.

My pick would be the Beretta M9/92 series. I don't know what it is but nothing about them work for me and I really wanted to like them.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The Walther P22. It was fun and ran for a couple of years until the cheap pot metal slide cracked at the spring guide shroud one day.

Walther replaced the slide and as soon as I got it back I traded it in for a Browning Buckmark Camper. That pistol is built like a tank and eats everything I throw at it. I do have to clean it every thousand rounds or so since I had the barrel chopped to 4" and threaded. I run a suppressor on it exclusively so it gets dirty faster.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
The steyr GB is on my shortlist. I would be interested in reading more about your issues. At the current price point of them I don't really want to waste the money if i need not to.

On paper, they're great.

No matter what I did I couldn't get through a magazine. It wasn't worth further inquiry, as the feel of the pistol was overall a "meh" for me, reliability aside. If it ran I'd still have it as a curiosity, as its design is unique.

Looking on GunBorker, I see they're double what I paid, starting. For a pistol no box one mag. Mine had the original box and all the trimmings. I wouldn't bother at that price, but that's due to my sample size of 1.

I seem to recall we've got at least one member who owns one, who has had a much better experience than mine. Not many people bother with them, and I wager most who do were curious like I was, and probably you are.

I had a much better experience with my Automag III, that thing is accurate and you can shoot all day, while annoying others on the range due to the noise. Meanwhile Automags have a reputation for spotty reliability. (due to which model and who made it) Crappiest among them the "hardballer." If you want a shitty 1911, find one of those.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Mid 90's Glock 27. In retrospect not a good Glock to start with, however the AWB was in full effect 40S&W was popular so bigger boom must be mo-betta, right? Wrong. I hated shooting it and by proxy hated all Glocks for a long time.

SIG P230SL - bought one, boy was it pretty. But I didn't like the controls (heel mag release), or lack of them (slide stop / release). It wasn't especially accurate in my hands (while the P220/45 I bought was a like a laser beam). It was one of my few impulse handgun buys.

SIG P320 - Big, bulky, heavier that comparable poly guns in the class. Stingy trigger finger and mongo slide release, coupled with the weird need to have a Large size Compact frame to work with my very medium sized hands.

Most 1911s, including an original Colt Delta Elite and several Kimbers of various makes / models. Not unreliable or anything, just totally 'meh' to me and didn't live up to what I thought they were.

Besides those, I've been lucky - I mean I started with a KF P220/45 (bought at the same time as the P230SL above). That thing ran like a sewing machine (and still does). Never really got a jammomatic. I never really run to the sound of the "new fangled flavor of the month" guns, so I think that has played a part.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Walther P-22. I wanted badly to really like it, but it was simply unreliable and the accuracy was disappointing.

When I was given a trade opportunity for a first year production, S&W M-66 4" STRAIGHT ACROSS , I jumped on the deal.

#2 would have to be the 2 or 3 Ruger single actions I had over the past 50 years. Especially the later models.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig Mosquito.
The only Sig that I ever bought that I still don't own.
Nothing but a jamming POS.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
Detonics Combat Master. A jammamatic

Sold it and bought a Colt Officers Model. Another totally unreliable pistol.

Commander length is as short as I would ever go as a result of those two guns.

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
HK VP9. Just didn’t gel with it. Like HKs very much but I don’t dig the VPs.

S&W M&P Shield.
S&W M&P gen 1. (No experience with new ones but I like them much better just handling)

Glock 43. Way prefer the 26 and Walther PPS.

Kriss Vector.....meh. In full auto it might matter but semi....meh

Thompson SMG. Heavy, weird recoil impulse, heavy, pain in the ass drum mags, heavy did I mention that? I cannot imagine wanting one of those over a Garand. Maybe as a room broom but that’s about it. Damn thing would be a heavy .45 to carry too. Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
S&W J frames of the "hammerless" variety (442/642).

Some people really dig 'em, and I'm not out to piss on anybody's choice, but they're not for me.

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
1911s in general.

Don't get me wrong. I have a couple, one of which I built.

But they are way over-hyped. When well tuned, they are nice to shoot. Howevver, at USPSA and IPDA matches I've witnessed more 1911s have failures than all the other types combined.

SIG P228. Again, don't get me wrong, I have one, and like it, but the hype over that gun is ridiculous. There are people who swear a P228 is much better in "feel" than a P229 in 9mm. It's BS. There are some very minor technical differences, but there is no difference in feel when shooting the pistols.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post