SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What pistols have you owned, or fired that have just not lived up?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What pistols have you owned, or fired that have just not lived up? Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Two come to mind.

Had a Desert Eagle in .44 that was only reliable when you held it with white knuckles. Also, never could abide the fact that the magazine couldn't rest on anything (a bench for example) or it wouldn't feed properly. For the money spent it should have functioned under any condition I damn well pleased.

The other was a Ruger 77/44 bolt action. If shooting from my Benchmaster rest, the magazine would routinely fall the fuck out when firing. I realize that is a rifle and the topic is for pistols but it was such a weird thing that I had to mention it.

Otherwise I consider myself very lucky as a firearms owner for about 40 years now.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it was the M&P Pro 5". Always wanted one, would rent one at a local range and shot it well. Loved the ergo's, etc.

Went out and bought one and was thinking about moving from my X5 Allround to the M&P Pro for USPSA. Found a load it liked but whenever I tried to shoot the gun quickly I couldn't hit a thing with it.

I could stand and shoot ragged hole groups at various distances slow fire but as soon as I wanted to move quickly and shoot that all went away. Never could figure out why moving and shooting made that much difference because I didn't see that issue with other guns.

Couldn't stand it and sold it and moved to the P320.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My Sig 320 was the worst piece of trash I have ever experienced after Sig got through ruining it, worse than the Taurus PT908 I had.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
HK VP9. Purchased one right after they came out. I was excited because I like HK's so I thought this would be a hit.
The place I bought it at in Michigan had a range attached and when you purchased a firearm, you could go shoot it.
Loaded up, target out to 10 yards and shot. Weirdest recoil impulse I've ever felt. Maybe it was me, I don't know....

I thought it was just me. Not that the recoil was in any way heavy, nor was there any great muzzle flip it's just that it was "strange" feeling. For me it was almost like I could feel the slide moving through its travels, an almost slow motion like sensation so to speak.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Ruger SP101 2.25" Spurless. Could never shoot it with any degree of accuracy. Became a safe queen, then gave it to my son who could shoot it well. His "trunk gun" now.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It was a beautiful .32 ACP Seecamp for me.

The thing was a beauty and built like a fine, handcrafted watch, but I could not shoot the thing worth a damn and it painfully pounded the web of my hand.

I actually got a Kel-Tec P-32 and never looked back! I love it and while it's "built like a cheap Chinese Timex" as someone here once said, I can shoot this thing all day and it's a little tack driver.

Posts: 33813 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
HK P30. V3 version. Loaded up on the hype, went out and bought one. Should've shot it first, would've saved a lot of heartache (and ammo) in the subsequent years following.

Send it to Robert Burke. Night and day difference. I run the shit out of mine post trigger work. Stock the trigger is terrible.

For me CZ P07/P09. The P09 was a record for me. Sig ed ffL paperwork on Saturday, and picked it up. Shot it Sunday, cleaned it Sunday and put for sale on Sunday. CZ doesn’t know how to tune recoil pulse/flex, whatever, through their DA/SA polymer.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delong31
posted Hide Post
X-Carry. The trigger on that one was meh and the ergos of the grip didn't work for me. I find it interesting that folks fork over four and a half benjamins for GG to shorten the grip and reshape the contours of the X-Carry to make it a stippled compact grip. Sold it after putting four boxes through it and went back to my P320 Compact. Love that gun.

Posts: 88 | Location: DFW | Registered: June 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
I've owned 4 different XD/XDm variants, they're definitely dogs to me. They all shoot & feel like shit, & the trigger is the worst of all production plastics IMO.

Had a P229 for a minute and hated it. I like other Sigs I've owned & shot. The 229 is just a fatass IMO.

Non-pistol honorable mentions - Mini14 (ridiculously inaccurate at 100yd) and Beretta 1201FP (beat my cheek to death). Sold both of those promptly.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Glock 19. Its a great gun, for those who like the feel. For me, it's a squishy plastic box. I so want to like it, and give it the love it deserves. But every time I give it one more chance, I just end up putting it right back in the bag. I suppose when everything else breaks, I'll end up needing it.

M&P 9 (not the 2.0) is a close second. Just another plastic fantastic. The 2.0 feels much more substantial, and is something I don't regret buying. That's got to be one of the best do-overs in the market.

On the flip - the Springfield 1911 TRP 45 I just fired, borrowed from a friend, is an unbelievably pleasant surprise. Great feel, accurate, looks. I really don't want to like it, but I really do.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kahr.....try as I did, I just can not like these handguns!!

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with as wide a variety of pistols as many here, but a couple come to mind.

For a while I had a Gen3 Glock 23. Nice enough gun, good quality for sure. I could shoot it decently enough, especially after putting in the NY1/"-" connector combo. I just didn't care for it. While I wouldn't call it uncontrollable, it was a little snappier than I would've liked for a gun of that size (which is funny since I shoot +Ps through my 642). Also, I would get slide bite from nearly every range session. Not enough to draw blood, but it definitely left a mark. I suppose I could have tried an aftermarket beavertail. I do suspect if I had gotten a G19 I might still have it.

The other was one I didn't own, but did shoot it at a rental range. It was a Sig P229 in 9mm. Aside from the slide release being in the "wrong" place (I'm used to 1911s and Beretta 92s), there was something about the SA trigger I didn't like. I couldn't put my finger on the reason why (pun intended Razz ). I tried it side by side with a Beretta PX4 Compact. The DA triggers were comparable (the Sig's might've been a little smoother) but I preferred the SA trigger on the PX4. Plus the PX4 controls were in locations similar to the 92s that I was so familiar with. I ended up buying the PX4. I had no problems with the quality of the P229, it just wasn't as good a "fit" for me as the PX4.

Sidenote: I also tried a Gen5 G19. Within 25 rounds the little cut-out on the bottom of the front strap was starting to get real annoying. I did NOT like that gun.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A P220ST I owned for like 6 months. Awesome gun in great shape, had a short reset trigger. It should've been a great gun to shoot. Couldn't hit shit with that thing. No fault of the gun, because other people shot it without problem. I could just never like it, because I couldn't shoot it.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
I have an old Raven .25 purchased over twenty-five years ago that has never failed to go bang. I’m sure that might be a record.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Mine is the HK P7 as well. Just didn't like it. I don't understand all the hype.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
For me it has to be the Glock 36...my agency carried the 45 on duty so the 36 made the most sense. Could never warm up to it. Couple that with several malfunctions and I was done with the model forever. Glock 26 now and never look back.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
CZ RAMI, look for the WTS ad as soon as I get it back from CZ USA and verify it functions properly now. Gun is simultaneously to big to carry and too small to shoot. I can't drop mags without using two hands or completely changing grip position. For the 15-20 rounds I can get before a jam it is dead on accurate and it's a absolutely beautiful gun. I can't find a purpose for it.

Also just about any striker fired gun.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it was a walther ppk/s. Sent back to S&W twice for repairs and was a jammomatic. Got rid of it after years of sitting in the safe.

For those Mosquito haters out there, I must have been the lucky one. I ran 600 rounds of CCI minin mags through mine when i got it with maybe 3-4 feeding issues and since I have shot at least 5000 flawless rounds through it. Go figure.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P938...IMO doesn't merit the name SIG.

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 125 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taurus Judge. The concept was intriguing, but the recoil was not worth it, IMO.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post