SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
MudPhud,

Very nice. Thanks for posting that. Cool

I was able to secure a W. German KF, recently. The serial number a little earlier than Sarge's gun.

My other KF guns have much later serial numbers and are all "Made In Germany".

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tutorial on P228. I just found an M11 US, B SN range. Is this for real? Same as your pictured P228 with the US M11 etched out, except not etched out. What do I have?

Posts: 28 | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shooter3116:
Thanks for the tutorial on P228. I just found an M11 US, B SN range. Is this for real? Same as your pictured P228 with the US M11 etched out, except not etched out. What do I have?

Pic of yours would be nice. Do you have original box, etc?
Is it the railed P228, but with the "US M11" un-etched? If so, that would be the first ever that I know of.
Is it the non-railed P228, with the "US M11B"?
Is it the non-railed P228, with the "US M11", as below (not mine)?

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Is it the non-railed P228, with the "US M11", as below (not mine)?

Do you know what the story is with that M11 P228? Did someone at SIG forget to mark over the "M11" and "U.S." during the CPO process? I think I remember that gun being on GB. As I recall I may have even bid on it but dropped out when it went over $1,500. I wonder if it is authentic since it appears to have the Short Trigger?

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
Do you know what the story is with that M11 P228? Did someone at SIG forget to mark over the "M11" and "U.S." during the CPO process? I think I remember that gun being on GB. As I recall I may have even bid on it but dropped out when it went over $1,500. I wonder if it is authentic since it appears to have the Short Trigger?

"Story"? No. Who knows what SIG did.
This gun was on Gunauction.com in Jan 2009 for $569! Eek
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/8961309

I think the one you put a bid on was a NIB M11B on GB, not this CPO one.

Q

posted Hide Post
Hi! Would post pics if I could figure out how to do it. My new M11 is non-railed, SN B 317 791. In a black case w/three mags, US booklet. I heard a story that the USAF "released" some M11 several years ago. Is this true? My SN seem to be earlier than others pictured.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi! Would post pics if I could figure out how to do it. My new M11 is non-railed, SN B 317 791. In a black case w/three mags, US booklet. I heard a story that the USAF "released" some M11 several years ago. Is this true? My SN seem to be earlier than others pictured.

Yours sounds like it's from 2002, or so. Definitely not one of the USAF M11Bs from 3 or 4 years ago. What does the product ID label say? Is yours MP tested, also?
If you want to, you can email me pics, and I'll post them for you.
Or, you can learn how to post pics from this tutorial, https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3310036873

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:

Did you get the article I sent you via email?

Posts: 10 | Registered: August 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Wonder what a real M11-B is worth on the market right now....

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

"Story"? No. Who knows what SIG did.
This gun was on Gunauction.com in Jan 2009 for $569! Eek
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/8961309

I think the one you put a bid on was a NIB M11B on GB, not this CPO one.

I figured there had to be a "story" as it is my understanding that former military pistols can't be sold to the civilian population without the markings being altered, hence the overmarking on the P228R "M11"s and the addition of the "B" on your M11. I would assume that any unmolested "M11" marked P228s had to have somehow evaded that process.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shooter lets get some pics posted and share the story of how you got the pistol. Inquiring minds.....

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10 | Registered: August 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gun Auction M11 in 2009 is a different SN than mine. https://www.flickr.com/photos/...52@N06/shares/52AS68

posted Hide Post
Yes, No mystery involved - my M11 one of the two consecutive numbered pieces at RIA on Dec 4. I should have bought the one on Gun Auction for 1/3 the price! But I am still happy to have it join my other 14 SIGs.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Gun Auction M11 in 2009 is a different SN than mine. https://www.flickr.com/photos/...52@N06/shares/52AS68

So, did you buy the #792, also? Big Grin
Congrats!

So, it looks like there are some M11s from the 2002 year that are slightly different from the M11Bs from 3 - 4 years ago.

Then, the CPO M11 would be around 2007, based serial number, #B337XXX.

Q

posted Hide Post
I gave a brief thought to trying for the pair, but decided to watch for a nice P225 instead.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I figured there had to be a "story" as it is my understanding that former military pistols can't be sold to the civilian population without the markings being altered, hence the overmarking on the P228R "M11"s and the addition of the "B" on your M11. I would assume that any unmolested "M11" marked P228s had to have somehow evaded that process.

Yes, that's also my understanding of reading stuff on the internet. But, by "no" in my answer, I meant I don't know of any official story of the M11s that were not marked out.

Q

posted Hide Post
This is the description from RIA for that gun.

"Re-introduced from 2004 to 2006. This pistol is a civilian copy of the United States Government M11 pistol. Features fixed 3 white dot sights, right side of frame marked "US M 11" above the serial numbered and wrap-around textured plastic grips with the Sig Sauer logo on the right side and P228 on the left. Complete with original plastic Sig case and shipping sleeve numbered to the gun, papers, cable lock, U.S. Government manual and two extra magazines. Consecutively serial numbered to lot 855 in this auction."
I was watching those and also wondered what the story was. I bought the P220 in .38 super at that auction.

Posts: 560 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: February 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moots226:
This is the description from RIA for that gun.

"Re-introduced from 2004 to 2006. This pistol is a civilian copy of the United States Government M11 pistol. Features fixed 3 white dot sights, right side of frame marked "US M 11" above the serial numbered and wrap-around textured plastic grips with the Sig Sauer logo on the right side and P228 on the left. Complete with original plastic Sig case and shipping sleeve numbered to the gun, papers, cable lock, U.S. Government manual and two extra magazines. Consecutively serial numbered to lot 855 in this auction."
I was watching those and also wondered what the story was. I bought the P220 in .38 super at that auction.

Not sure what they're talking about, "Re-introduced from 2004 to 2006." The P228 was still being made prior to that.
Also interesting about the case. It would appear that SIG had some left over older gray plastic cases for these M11s.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So, did you buy the #792, also? Big Grin
Congrats!

So, it looks like there are some M11s from the 2002 year that are slightly different from the M11Bs from 3 - 4 years ago.

Then, the CPO M11 would be around 2007, based serial number, #B337XXX.

Very interesting....so the M11B with the triple s/n should be quite the collector, much like the triple S/N 228R. The other M11 shown appear to be the "standard" M11 configuration.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post