SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jermzzzzzzz:
Any major differences between the newer Sigs I.e. "AJU" prefix and the older German models? I'm about to pick one up via trade.

Differences are in the MIM small parts in the newer model, like the trigger, hammer, takedown lever. And, the newer model is assembled here at SIG USA.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigman940:
quote:
Originally posted by jermzzzzzzz:
Would a .357Sig exchange kit work on a 228?

If you swapped out the locking insert it will most likely fit. However, I wouldn't recommend it or do this myself since the P228 frame was designed for the 9mm cartridge and may not be able to handle it.

It doesn't work. Not because the frame cannot handle the .357Sig, but because the 228 frame cannot take the .40/.357 mag. The only exception is the SS frame of the Special Configuration P228 noted in the OP.

I wouldn't do it because of the possible weakness of the P228 frame, but P226 .357/.40 mags would fit and function in the P228 frame but stick out.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
but P226 .357/.40 mags would fit and function in the P228 frame but stick out.

Yes, but it's the P226 mag, and who would carry it in the P228/229 frame all the time? Wink

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
but P226 .357/.40 mags would fit and function in the P228 frame but stick out.

Yes, but it's the P226 mag, and who would carry it in the P228/229 frame all the time? Wink

Someone who would want to make a frankensig with a P228 frame? Eek

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
After reading the recent threads about 357SIG in a P228 frame, I have to ask: the P229-40 locking insert properly fits into a P228/P229 pre-dash1 frame?

I've never thought to try it myself, certainly not since I jammed up the lock block in for the second time in a SIG just trying to reassemble one after a detail strip and clean (I have a hard time remembering which orientation the notches on the trigger pin need to be facing in for reassembly. Up? Down?). The lovely smell of PB Blaster always brings me back to the unforgettable panic and experience...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
This is a great thread. The P228 I just acquired is dated KA (1990). As best I know, the original owner used one of the two mags that came with the gun, and left the other in its plastic bag. I therefore believe they are both original to the gun. One is marked Sig Sauer P228, and the other just Sig Sauer. So I'm thinking both types were shipping in 1990.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
This is a great thread. The P228 I just acquired is dated KA (1990). As best I know, the original owner used one of the two mags that came with the gun, and left the other in its plastic bag. I therefore believe they are both original to the gun. One is marked Sig Sauer P228, and the other just Sig Sauer. So I'm thinking both types were shipping in 1990.

Oooh! Actual zipperback SIG mags. So they were around in 1990.

Picture of Sigman940
posted Hide Post
quote:
L. Magazines:
Early mags (JK through pre-ban KE)

1. None of them has any "Made In Germany" or "Made in W. Germany" on them. "Made In Germany" appears later, on ban era mags.

2. Only the JK and KA have the following markings on the left side: "SIG SAUER", "P228".

3. The KB through KE have only "SIG SAUER" on the mag's left side, but no "P228". Again, none of the mags from JK through KE has any "Made In Germany" or "Made In W. Germany" on them.

4. The SIG "triskelion" started its appearance on the KB and subsequent years. None on the JK or KA.

5. The date clock on the floor plate did not make its appearance until mid 1994. Just my guess, but that makes sense, as gun makers were staring down the AWB's barrel at the time. Before that, they did not have to worry about it.

6. Zipper back: JK, KA, KB.

7. Dove tails: KC and onward.

If you look to page one of this thread it states that the zipper back magazines with the P228 included are from 1990 and the ones that just have Sig Sauer are from 1991. It could be possible that SIG made this change mid year or that the second mag was actually made in 1991. No real way of knowing for sure. Either way they are great magazines. Enjoy your new acquisition.

~ ante omnia armari

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's something you don't see every day. Was visiting my brother in law last week and he showed me his P228 carry piece. I did a double take when I saw the markings. He doesn't have any history on it other than he bought it in Norfolk VA.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Oh wow! Now that's cool! I would love to have a U.S. marked pistol. Too bad he didn't have any background on it.
(plus the floating trigger tip - must be a spy gun Cool)
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Here's something you don't see every day. Was visiting my brother in law last week and he showed me his P228 carry piece. I did a double take when I saw the markings. He doesn't have any history on it other than he bought it in Norfolk VA.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:

Check out the CPO US M11 on page 2. Exact same looking slide, same first three digits of serial number. Cool

Q

posted Hide Post
12131, what's your opinion of the value of the Israeli P228s that are currently sold by dealers? Many are from the early 90's and in good shape.

Proverbs 21:31

Posts: 450 | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohsheepdog:
12131, what's your opinion of the value of the Israeli P228s that are currently sold by dealers? Many are from the early 90's and in good shape.

The ones that I've been seeing popping on GB appear to be in good shape. Kudos to the seller for taking the time to take many pictures, including internals, so that buyers know exactly what they're getting. That's how you sell stuff. Contrast that with the beat-up-to-hell Israeli P228s that were sold months ago by AIM. A lot of buyers ended up disappointed.

Q

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! I bought one that looks almost brand and thought it was a good price at $600. I will post pictures here once I get it.

Proverbs 21:31

Posts: 450 | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:

And last, but not least, the M11-A1 Big Grin , with original P228 logo grips replaced with SIG logo Hogue made aluminum grips:

**************************************************************************************************************************

Minus the trigger, this is exactly like my everyday carry.

I've tried to carry my P229 Legion and my P229R, but this is as close to my beloved P228 that I can find right now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rockchalk06,

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12131, I'm pretty sure of the answer here but I'll ask anyways. Would a KJ dated 228 have a plastic guide rod? I'm thinking no but mine came shipped with one and to say I'm not happy is putting it mildly.
Thank you.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NCHornet
posted Hide Post
I too am a huge P228 fan, nice write up, someone need to stick this. I have a couple questions for you. Is that factory all nickel pistol yours? I have been looking for 10 years to find one. Seems like I am always a day late or they want crazy money for them. If it is yours, if you ever want to sell it, I'm your huckleberry. Next is the pistol with the SS frame and black slide. Is this one of yours too? If I remember right this is the most rare of all of them. I belive I read some where that only 30 were made. I have seen a couple but they were all refinished jobs. My hats off to you sir, thanks for posting.
God Bless
NCH

Carry On!!
NCHornet
North Carolina

Posts: 686 | Location: NC | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
12131, I'm pretty sure of the answer here but I'll ask anyways. Would a KJ dated 228 have a plastic guide rod? I'm thinking no but mine came shipped with one and to say I'm not happy is putting it mildly.
Thank you.

A 1998 P228 should have the metal guide rod as original equipment, as far as I know. The plastic guide rod didn't show up on the P228 until years later, like the 2009 P228.

quote:
Originally posted by NCHornet:
I too am a huge P228 fan, nice write up, someone need to stick this. I have a couple questions for you. Is that factory all nickel pistol yours? I have been looking for 10 years to find one. Seems like I am always a day late or they want crazy money for them. If it is yours, if you ever want to sell it, I'm your huckleberry. Next is the pistol with the SS frame and black slide. Is this one of yours too? If I remember right this is the most rare of all of them. I belive I read some where that only 30 were made. I have seen a couple but they were all refinished jobs. My hats off to you sir, thanks for posting.
God Bless
NCH

Thanks. Everything in the initial post, unless specifically mentioned otherwise, is mine. So, the answers to your questions are yes and yes. Smile

Q

Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Thank you.

I have a '98 (KJ) P220 that I bought new. It had a plastic guide rod, FYI.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NCHornet
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Beautiful collection of some of the best pistols ever made, at least in my opinion.

As for the plastic guide rods vs metal, I have read posts like this on other forums as well. It seems at different times in Sig's history it seemed they thru whichever guide rod they grabbed out of a box on the bench. I have kept the stock guide rod for each Sig pistol that I have owned, they spend their life with me in a ziploc bag with a sticky note that showed which pistol they came from. I prefer the added weight of a solid guide rod. YMMV?

Carry On!!
NCHornet
North Carolina

Posts: 686 | Location: NC | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post