SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The year is 1983. Pick a pistol.
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The year is 1983. Pick a pistol. Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
And the 1911? I didn't pick it because in 1983, if you bought a 1911, the very first thing you largely still had to do was to go to a local gunsmith, give him your brand new 1911 and say "Make it work." while forking over more cash. The old slabside just was still not yet reliable enough out of the box to be, IMHO, considered a true life preserver.

Apologies to jljones for the thread drift. My experience with early 1980's Colt Government Models was hit or miss. I've owned some good pistols and I've owned some lemons from this era. Most were roundball only affairs. In 1983, I was just becoming acquainted with pistols. In my area choices were quite limited. Other than a handful of Interarms offerings (Star, PPK, P38 & etc.) my exposure was mostly limited to the various Colt Government models and the Smith & Wesson M39/M59. Even though my first centerfire pistol was a Government Model 45 auto, I was intrigued by the M39. Given what I was familiar with at the time (excluding of course the 1911), I would vote for the M39/M59 series. At the time, with my limited knowledge, most of the Interarms offerings seemed to be antiquated or of lesser quality than both Colt or S&W. Of course, had I have known more about the SIG P220 in 1983, my first pistol purchase (and my vote) would have been different. Thanks for a great post.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TexasRaider:
*cough* *cough* *cough*....

Of course. Kimber.

Not available until after Shot Show 1995 ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
There's that, too. I think TexasRaider was referring to the reliability issue, though.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I think the P7M13 wasn't around that early.

So I'd go with a Beretta 92.

Runners up in order:
1. FN High Power
2. S&W 59
3. SIG-Sauer P226

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:

645 did not come out till 1985/86.

The P226 was released in 1983 but I don’t recall if it was availible yet in the US.

1983 an no 1911, Im thinking Beretta 92SB or Browning BDA /P220.

Other options would be P225, HK P7, or CZ 75.

Other options would be the BHP or S&W 459/659 but only if my unit had its own highly skilled armorer support.

Was the 469/669 out yet in 1983 ?

Glock existed and had been adopted by the Austrians as the P80 but I don’t know if it was availible in the US yet.

While it is not possible for me to verify the accuracy of the 1983 edition of the Shooters Bible (#24) that I am currently looking at, they list the S&W 39, 59, 439/539 and 459/559 as available in either blued or nickel finish.
H&K offered the P9S and VP70Z (ugh).
Browning offered the Hi-Power.

There is no mention of Beretta, Sig or Glock, pistols.

RE the OP: Of those listed in the book I would probably pick a S&W 59 or 459.

I know the P7 was availible in the US because when I was a kid, it was on the cover of Guns and Ammo in 1981.

I also know the Beretta 92SB was availible in the U.S, by 1983. Guns and ammo did a big Autos vs revolvers shoot off in 1981 or 82 and the writer representing autos, Bob Milek, had one of the first 92SB’s in the US in addition to the mandatory Hoag custom 1911.

The SIG P220 .45 was availible as the Browning BDA. The 225 and maybe the 220 were also available via interarms.

The first mention of Glocks I recall was in 1984 or 85.

Here is an article from 85 when Glocks were still a euro thing:

https://americanhandgunner.com/1985issues/HSO85.pdf

I think the first Commercial Glocks cane in in 1986, I traded into my Gen 1 G17 in 1989.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
1983, for me it was either a Colt Combat Government or a Colt Commander Model.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spieler
posted Hide Post
HK P9S

Posts: 2433 | Location: ATL South OTP | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1983 I had a 9mm Browning HP, which I still shoot today. Geez, I feeel old....

Posts: 508 | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caryc:
In 1983 I had a 9mm Browning HP, which I still shoot today. Geez, I feel old....

Posts: 508 | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Human, All
Too Human
posted Hide Post
Walther P5

Posts: 978 | Location: Ohio | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Custom ASP S&W 9mm

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
P7

+1

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for FN GP35 [aka: Browning Hi Power].

My understanding is flawed, but I thought I'd read that the first or second generation of Beretta 92 pistols had some locking block issues?

In 1983, I would have selected a Hi Power because it had a reputation that went back to 1937. The British and Canadians had used it for their special forces equivalent sidearm [until recently].

It had almost 50 years of experience in different theaters of combat.

Furthermore, the 9mm round would be something that is very 'non-USA', and would allow easier sourcing of ammo for a 4 man team if not in the USA.

In addition, the injuries from the ammo would not scream 'US involvement'.

parts were not hard to find in many parts of the world- and gunsmiths in places from Argentina to Singapore, from South Africa to Canada, were familiar with it.

The Beretta had 10 years of field experience, in more limited locations.

There wasn't another semi-auto handgun that would be as easy to source parts or ammo for, world wide.

Sure, I could quibble and say the Star Model B 9mm, as it is basically a derivation of the 1911, but in 9mm. This would have the international ammo aspect, but would be harder to source parts for in the field.

The CZ75 was a VERY promising Com-Block weapon, that would be available outside said block primarily through Tanfoglio's TZ-75 copy.

Getting an actual CZ75 would be harder, and sourcing parts in the field would be about as hard as sourcing parts for a S&W 59.

For all of those reasons, I'd stick to the BHP in 9mm [post 1962 version- so it has the external extractor].

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if it is 1983 all over again, the the BHP makes sense as the best choice. At the time the CZ75 is not even into ten year use;the Beretta 92 not proved and most everyone was still into wheel guns as the ne plus ultra.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1983...my idea of a reliable autoloader would have been a revolver. A S&W 19.

My idea of a fast reload would have involved a second revolver.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had Beretta 92 , and Smith ASP 9mm

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Sig P220

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BHP

Posts: 340 | Registered: January 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Awesome karma! I'm in!

Wait...is this the wrong 6 month old thread?

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
styer gb

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post