SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Why has .40 cal fallen out of favor?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why has .40 cal fallen out of favor? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I shoot .40, and have quite a few firearms in .40. I suppose that could be called "investing."

I'm not in the least defensive about it, without any need to defend or explain it.

This ^^^^^, though I'm down to one firearm in .40 S&W since I traded my G22--which I did because I just plain did not like it and could not shoot well with it.

quote:
Originally posted by USAFA71:
For those who think the 40 S+W recoil is so much more vicious than the 9 mm, I challenge you to the following: ...

My favourite challenge: Those of you who think the .40 S&W recoil is so overwhelming: Try full-house .357 Mag loads out of a 4" service revolver for a while. .40 S&W out of a similarly-sized bottom-feeder will seem tame, by comparison Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Rat:
I am highly amused that every discussion into justifying the new found merits of 9mm is always a precursor to bashing 40 S&W.

Indeed.

Do I feel under-gunned wearing a 9mm? No. Do I think I'm gonna stop tanks with my .40 S&W? No. Do I believe that, all things being equal, the .40 S&W might have an advantage over 9mm? Yes. So when carrying my .40 S&W makes sense, I'll carry my .40 S&W.

Same position vis-a-vis my P239 SAS vs. my Defender in .45 ACP.

I initially chose the .40 S&W because, at the time, it seemed the closest thing in performance to the .357 Mag commonly in-use and available.

All that being said: I am idly entertaining the thought of getting a 357 Sig barrel for my P239 SAS and, when I send the pistol in to Robert Burke for an action job, having the barrel custom fitted. Not because I dislike the .40 S&W or because I believe in the superiority of the 357 Sig, but to reduce my ammo variation by one caliber.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
The dominant media is no more "mainstream" than leftists are liberals.

Posts: 15794 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Yes - my SP101 .357mag kicks a hell of a lot more than the 239SAS in .40 (using self defense loads in both). But they both shoot well, so I use them both as needed.

I personally haven't shot a pistol that kicks as much as that .357 mag short barrel with full defense loads...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3257 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I think the .40 is an excellent round. I have more than 1 pistol in .40S&W, not counting my issued Glock 22. Although the 9mm will provide a couple more rounds, I feel most confident in the .40S&W.

When hiking, I carry the .40 because I believe the 9mm will only aggravate a bear unless the shot is perfect. Have I seen a bear hiking? yup, multiple times! My 13 shots of .40 vs 15 9mm is not important. I feel the 13 shots will kill the bear or keep it moving in a different direction.

I practice with many calibers and feel most confident with the .40!

Posts: 2806 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I got news for you: The .40 S&W will likely only aggravate the bear, too. Only a little more than the 9mm Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
The dominant media is no more "mainstream" than leftists are liberals.

Posts: 15794 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
YEs, but will aggravate the bear a bit harsher. maybe cause it to rethink it's strategy. (that's my argument) LOL

Posts: 2806 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post