SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Why has .40 cal fallen out of favor?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why has .40 cal fallen out of favor? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I love the 9 but I think a good 40 cal HST 165 or 180 gr or maybe Gold Dot will take the wind out of the 285 pound gang banger ,no neck guy faster . But I know placement is what counts .

Posts: 707 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
While older 9mm rounds wouldn't be my first choice, I would consider ones with good track records, like the Federal 115gr 9BPLE +P+, acceptable if I couldn't get HST or Gold Dot.

My memory isn't too good on this but were the 2 authors in the study years ago that lauded the 9BPLE (among others such as .357 125-gr JHP) for street performance later discredited based on their controversial methodologies?

Posts: 1293 | Location: Round Rock TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:
While older 9mm rounds wouldn't be my first choice, I would consider ones with good track records, like the Federal 115gr 9BPLE +P+, acceptable if I couldn't get HST or Gold Dot.

My memory isn't too good on this but were the 2 authors in the study years ago that lauded the 9BPLE (among others such as .357 125-gr JHP) for street performance later discredited based on their controversial methodologies?

They certainly have their critics, but I was going on general reputation and not the Marshall-Sanow studies. Quantifying "stopping power" (there really needs to be another term for that) is tricky, at best, so I prefer to go by general reputation instead, i.e., "XYZ Police Department is satisfied with the performance of ABC JHP ammo in officer-involved shootings." That's the main reason I prefer 147gr HST, even though I think 9BPLE would be adequate for personal defense use and would have no problem carrying if my preferred load was unavailable.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 982 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
180 GR .40's are pretty good on bowling pins

Posts: 9466 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?

Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I believe it has to do with a few things, but mainly the fact that there are an abundance of polymer firearms that are light.

Concealed carry has brought a huge amount of small firearms into play.

Reality at end of day, a light small gun is no fun to shoot with a .40...

.40, also costs more than 9mm, and is more difficult to find during a rush.

Have there been advances, I imagine, but really, I think comfort and cost is most likely reason.

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
VCDL Member
FFL Dealer

Posts: 667 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:

At least once Agency came forth and said that they did not officially release information to Marshall and Sanow.

Thanks for reminding me about them, I've been meaning grab a copy of the book and see what they had to say. Most of what I read of them came out of the gun rags.

Posts: 3915 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post