SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What are you carrying or totin' today ??
Page 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 91
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you carrying or totin' today ?? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
One of these is not like the others
D2 AUS-8 .40S&W

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Case Mini Copperlock

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
In case Monday gets heavy, want to be ready (sorta)

18650 Outlite
El Paso Saddlery Co ~ 1942 "Tanker"
.45 ACP
Morakniv ~ Garberg

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
"Slashing" weight. Not so heavy after all
LCP and Eldris

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Relaxing with a couple of Bucks this evening. Like old friends.

Dremeled my initials in the 110 when purchased in 1988. Was one I carried in my 20yr Naval career and wanted to help guard against it walking off. Think Buck used real wood then or at least a different kind of wood than they use now in the 110. Pretty sure it has 425M steel too, instead of the 420HC currently used.

The smaller Buck 55 ... because 55 is half of 110 ... and the Buck 55 is said to be half the size of the 110, but it sure looks and feels much smaller than that. That said, it's a pretty good string cutter regardless.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
This knife may not be tactical or have M390 steel, but it definitely has cutting edge technology. Knife sharpening is always going to require some cutting edge technology. With diligence, aptitude, care and technology, I’ve managed to get this thing pretty dang sharp. I just hope it doesn’t outsmart me. Good thing it’s sharp too. A sharp knife is right handy if, God forbid, fighting … but not as powerful as a fork. A four pronged attack is hard to defend I’m told.

Some may wonder why I’m so taken with traditional pocket knives. Well you see, they bring back memories. Long ago in a far far away land, as a boy, I started carrying a knife following an attempted mugging. And Wah-La, just like that, my muggings became much more successful. Thankfully, I outgrew that deviant behavior. However at present, they have permanently banned me from paintball tournaments. Shoot.

There really isn’t anything special about this knife. Barlow knives have been around for a couple of hundred years they say. I just like it though. A lot. It’s well put together, easy to touch up when needed and crossed a whole great big ocean alone, when brand spanking new and unused, just to arrive at a little postage stamp of a spot I inhabit half-way round the globe. Gotta respect that I guess. So it was that I once gave thought to having the blade engraved on the pile side. In the end though, I decided that “A.WRIGHT” just said it best, even if on the tang. Some engravings I considered …

“ RULE #9 ”
(if you watch NCIS, it’s Gibb’s rule to always have a knife)
“ HOLD OTHER END ”
“ DO NOT TAKE TO GUN FIGHT “
“ CUT ABOVE THE REST “
“ FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY “
“ FIXED IT “
“ NOT A KNIFE “
“ MINE “
“ STOLEN FROM HOBBS “

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Think Buck used real wood then or at least a different kind of wood than they use now in the 110. Pretty sure it has 425M steel too, instead of the 420HC currently used.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was Ebony. I have one I purchased in 1979. The thing I did wrong was I messed up the tip by prying something or other. It's still sharp as heck though. I wouldn't mind figuring out how to straighten out the tip. It isn't too bad, it's just annoying that I messed it up. I've been thinking about buying the Buck 110 Elite. It looks like an interesting auto.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
No idea what could be done about the blade Ogie.
Buck does have a lifetime guarantee, doesn't cover "abuse" I don't think.

Anyway, I'd bet they would change out the blade for you maybe for a fee. Thing is, in 1979, I'm pretty sure they used 440C steel on that 110 and if allowed to change out the blade, they'd likely use the current production steel, 420HC. There's always the chance you could opt for a custom shop steel like S30V or whatever else they may have on hand. I have a Buck 110 in Damascus and a 501 Squire in S35VN ... but they came that way.

You could email Buck and ask what options there might be though, if the bend bothers you.

Over the years, I've had to return a Buck or two for excessive blade play and blade centering that was WAY off from the factory that had somehow made it past Buck QC. The knives were new and they didn't charge a cent for repair. Even emailed me a shipping label I printed out and attached that included postage. Buck is always a pleasure to deal with as far as their customer satisfaction. The knives I returned took about 4-6 weeks turn around if I remember correctly, but would depend on their work log and who knows how things are affected with them right now, COVID and all.

Knives were returned in like a "cherry picked" condition and all problems corrected. Thing is though, they will only take a look at things the customer mentions, if something is wrong but customer says nothing about it ... they don't touch it.

Had a Buck I took from the box and found blade play so bad the dang knife rattled when shaken. Was so disappointed, I contacted Buck immediately and didn't finish an initial inspection of the knife. Figured too, they'd check it out and "give it some lovin". Got the knife back and the blade was nice and "tight" ... but then found there was some slight movement in the scales on one side of the handle. Hadn't mentioned that. D'OH

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post

phil

Posts: 2384 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Not the steel, brass and bone I carry or use most often
I just like the beauty, texture and feel of the unique jigging
Great Eastern Cutlery calls it " Autumn Leaf "
... but I think it may be okay any time of the week or year

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
No idea what could be done about the blade Ogie.
Buck does have a lifetime guarantee, doesn't cover "abuse" I don't think.

Of course you are right. The knife has sentimental value to me so I don't want to have the blade replaced. If I need it to cut rope or something similar, it just zips through material like that. I wonder about the quality of the Buck 110 Elite and if you can keep it in your pocket instead of the sheath without it "automatically" opening.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I wonder about the quality of the Buck 110 Elite and if you can keep it in your pocket instead of the sheath without it "automatically" opening.

GREAT question !!! ... hopefully someone who actually owns one will chime in. Google search doesn't reveal an issue with pocket carry but I can easily see an accident happening if care isn't taken ... unless there's some safety feature I'm not aware of.

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Not the steel, brass and bone I carry or use most often
I just like the beauty, texture and feel of the unique jigging
Great Eastern Cutlery calls it " Autumn Leaf "
... but I think it may be okay any time of the week or year

I have "a few" GECs and I like them, but I think Case does a much better job with jigging on the covers. Case's jigging looks more random or natural, while GECs jigging always looks like a machine made pattern. Of course, others may prefer the way GEC does it.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
^^^ Nice Case knives

Never really thought about it, but agree, the GEC jigging is USUALLY more uniform. At least I think maybe that's what they shoot for, now that I think about it.

GEC #15
Boy's knife out

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
quote:
I wonder about the quality of the Buck 110 Elite and if you can keep it in your pocket instead of the sheath without it "automatically" opening.

GREAT question !!! ... hopefully someone who actually owns one will chime in. Google search doesn't reveal an issue with pocket carry but I can easily see an accident happening if care isn't taken ... unless there's some safety feature I'm not aware of.

Another funny thing: When I purchased my Buck 110 it was advertised to have a four inch blade. I never checked it until about a month ago. It's actually 3.75" in length. Go figure.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another funny thing: When I purchased my Buck 110 it was advertised to have a four inch blade. I never checked it until about a month ago. It's actually 3.75" in length. Go figure.

I thought the blade on the 110 was always 3 3/4". Buck does make a 4" blade but it's on a fixed blade Buck ... 103 Skinner I think.

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
This arrived yesterday, in the pocket this week!

BladeHQ Exclusive Spyderco PM2 Tanto in M4 & Jade G10

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Grumpy Biker, I am glad those PM2s in jade an M4 are sold out. I already busted the knife budget and those were a sore temptation. Looks good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Grumpy Biker, I am glad those PM2s in jade an M4 are sold out. I already busted the knife budget and those were a sore temptation. Looks good.

I have been looking for a Hinderer but a “Friend” shot me the link when these were to drop.
I’d been wanting one so .... I guess I’m still searching for the Hinderer! LoL
This Hazard Pay we’re receiving is getting spent quickly !!! LoL

The grinds were the first thing to catch my eye. Finally a PM2 with a strong tip.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post