SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Starbucks CEO: We're going to hire 10,000 refugees...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starbucks CEO: We're going to hire 10,000 refugees... Login/Join 
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by festus haggen:
Is the Black Rifle Coffee whole beans or ground?

Whole bean but they got k-cups too.

Running low on my favorite (BB) and looked at their website last night. They appear to literally be sold out of everything. No worries though. Ive seen that before. They seem to roast in huge batches so check back.

It really is good stuff.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
quote:
Originally posted by festus haggen:
Is the Black Rifle Coffee whole beans or ground?

Whole bean but they got k-cups too.

Running low on my favorite (BB) and looked at their website last night. They appear to literally be sold out of everything. No worries though. Ive seen that before. They seem to roast in huge batches so check back.

It really is good stuff.

Thanks! Just completed an order.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Starbucks' 'Brand Perception' Takes A Massive Hit

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
The news programs today are showing a bunch of unemployed lawyers holding up signs in airports, with nobody needing their services since all of yesterday's foreigners have been taken care of.

This is a good start... Big Grin

How about IRS attorneys next, change the tax laws.

How about going to a flat tax, or a fair tax.

AIR, the fair tax amounts to a sales tax.

Been several years since this topic was in the media/discussion. It was getting a pretty good push for a while.

Until some people figured out that it would reduce some 90K pages of gubbermint BS to virtually nothing.

Flat tax could be filed on a post card.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:

Darth, your link comes back "Page Not Found".

Was it supposed to go to the article linked by Drudge this morning, this one: Link?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
I just received two whole bean packages from Black Rifle yesterday. Silencer Smooth & Caffeinated As Fuck. As soon as I opened the package I noticed a strong coffee aroma. Ground up some Silencer Smooth this morning. Damn good shit! We usually drink 8:0Clock coffee wich we consider pretty good. Silencer Smooth is stronger but smooth. No burnt coffee smell or taste. Way better then 8:0Clock coffee IMHO.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
These dumbshit CEOs, be it from Charbucks, Target, Kelloggs, whatever, simply can't get it through their thick heads that publically embracing libtard causes will loose them megabucks.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
I just received two whole bean packages from Black Rifle yesterday. Silencer Smooth & Caffeinated As Fuck. As soon as I opened the package I noticed a strong coffee aroma. Ground up some Silencer Smooth this morning. Damn good shit! We usually drink 8:0Clock coffee wich we consider pretty good. Silencer Smooth is stronger but smooth. No burnt coffee smell or taste. Way better then 8:0Clock coffee IMHO.

Got home from visiting my dad and there was a 4 bagger of Silencer Smooth waiting for me on my porch. Sooooo good! If you like the coffee, I suggest becoming part of their coffee club and getting it in bulk so it's cheaper.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
With such high unemployment for young black men in the US, I wonder why they are not pledging to hire more from that talent pool instead of refugees - is Sargent Shultz a racist?

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
So Mr Schultz,

How did that brainstorm work out for you? Roll Eyes

Starbucks' plan to hire 10,000 refugees in response to Trump's travel ban has had a NEGATIVE impact on its brand and sales

- On January 29, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz vowed to hire 10,000 refugees over five years in the countries where it does business

- Since then, both consumer sentiment about the company, and their willingness to buy from the brand, have been on the decline

- YouGov BrandIndex measures both figures and found that consumer perception fell two-thirds since the announcement, the lowest since last May
Consumer willingness to buy from Starbucks went from 30 per cent of customers to a low of 24 per cent

- Analysts at Credit Suisse also say the move is damaging their sales and could hurt them in the future

- Trump supporters have called for a boycott of the chain since January 29, when their plan was announced

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
HOWARD SCHULTZ: 'I have significant concerns about the direction of the country'
May 24, 2017

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz

Starbucks (SBUX) executive chairman Howard Schultz challenged a room full of business executives on Wednesday to address the problems facing America in the current political environment.

“I don’t need to tell this audience that are all assembled today — whether you’re Republican or Democrat or [you] voted for the president or not — we probably can all agree the country is drifting in a direction that we all need to be concerned about,” Schultz said in an interview with Macy’s (M) CEO Terry Lundgren at a luncheon hosted by the Economic Club of New York.

“And in the interest of being transparent and saying something that might be controversial, I would say the country is in need of an economic, cultural, and moral transformation.”

In April, Schultz stepped aside from his role as CEO, handing the reins over to COO and president Kevin Johnson. Schultz explained that the company had reached the stage where the scale and complexity require “a new generation of leadership.” He said he’d focus his creativity on building the company’s premium brand called the Starbucks Reserve Roastery.

Additionally, Schultz has been spending time thinking about the future of the country.

“I have significant concerns about the direction of the country,” he said. “And [we’re] trying to understand how we as a company can use our scale for good and leverage the fact that Starbucks is in almost every community in America. And once we do, [we’ll] try and elevate the national discourse and the national conversation on things that create a more compassionate society and more compassionate government.”

Schultz views the company’s success as being defined by its culture, values, and principles. He pointed out that there’s a strong focus on what he calls “servant leadership.” In carrying out this mission, he even leaves two empty seats at all board meetings — one that represents the customer and one that represents the employees.

“I also say, culturally, we’ve imprinted into the management of Starbucks over many years that not every business decision is an economic decision,” Schultz said. “We’ve always believed success in business is about the fragile balance of profit and conscience.”

This balance between social responsibility and making money is going to be more important for business leaders going forward, he explained.

“We have a government that’s dysfunctional and polarized and we have an administration, regardless of whether you voted for the president or not, we’re going down a path where many, many people are going to be left behind in this country. And what that means to me is businesses and business leaders are going to have to do a lot more for their people and the communities they serve going forward.”
Schultz doesn’t shy away from talking politics

Schultz is known to speak out on social issues and posting open letters on Starbucks’ website. Sometimes that means pushback and criticism.

“I would say that leadership and moral courage is not a passive act,” Schultz said. “I think it’s very easy to lead and be courageous when the wind is at your back… I want to be thoughtful, I want to be disciplined, but I want to be honest. I think probably one of the undervalued characteristics of leadership is being vulnerable, and I want to demonstrate vulnerability through transparency to our people.”

Starbucks has been accused of being a political arm for Schultz.

“We don’t view it that way.”

He added that the company’s core purpose goes beyond the stock price and making money. He sees the company as having a social responsibility.

In recent years, Starbucks has taken on issues from race, guns, and veterans.

In 2013, Schultz sent a letter asking that customers no longer bring firearms to the stores. Some states allow for “open carry.” At the Economic Club luncheon, he clarified that Starbucks is not against the Second Amendment, and neither is he.

“After Sandy Hook people were literally walking into stores with guns,” Schultz said, “One day, in San Antonio, somebody walked in with an AK-47. I just felt, I think this is a time where we need to have a little bit of common sense and sensibility.”

Another social issue the company attempted to take on was race relations by creating the “Race Together” campaign in the spring of 2015.

“We had a situation at Starbucks at the time that Ferguson and Oakland and Staten Island and Cleveland was going on where — and this has never happened in the history of the country — where a white customer in a southern state refused to be served by a black barista,” Schultz said. “And, when that was brought to my attention, I decided that this was an opportunity to try and elevate the conversation inside our company.”

Within hours of launching the campaign, though, it was basically hijacked by social media users and the company lost the narrative.

“Our collective responsibility”

“If you asked me today in my almost 40 years of being at Starbucks what I am most proud of, I would put that almost at the top of the list that we had the courage to raise the issue and discuss race in our country. I think we all need to recognize that there are things going in America today that if Martin Luther King, Bobby Kennedy, and LBJ when he signed the Civil Rights bill, if they all saw and witnessed what’s happening… there’s a lot of issues here that I think are not being discussed at the national level.”

He concluded: “This goes back to what is our collective responsibility as citizens and businesses as business leaders to elevate these conversations and not ignore them because we certainly have a problem in America that’s as significant today, in my view, as it was in 1968 with regards to race relations.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news...untry-192216647.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would say the country is in need of an economic, cultural, and moral transformation

One of these days I sure wish one of these geniuses would explain what that actually means to someone as simple as me. That would be nice.

quote:
He pointed out that there’s a strong focus on what he calls “servant leadership.” In carrying out this mission, he even leaves two empty seats at all board meetings — one that represents the customer and one that represents the employees.

How very symbolic of you.

quote:
Schultz views the company’s success as being defined by its culture, values, and principles.

No. Starbuck's is successful because you have a slick marketing campaign and hit the market at the right time-the rise of the hipster coffee klatch bullshit.

You're coffee sucks.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I have significant concerns about the direction of the country,” he said. “And [we’re] trying to understand how we as a company can use our scale for good and leverage the fact that Starbucks is in almost every community in America. And once we do, [we’ll] try and elevate the national discourse and the national conversation on things that create a more compassionate society and more compassionate government.”

I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz.
However... what none of these liberal do-gooders understand is that Government is NOT compassionate.
Government is FORCE. When you have more government, you have a LESS compassionate society.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Howard!
Move into the Englewood neighborhood in Chicago. I bet there is a lot of folks there who want to discourse with you.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Anyone else think they hear someone who might be angling for the Democratic presidential nomination in '20?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Because that's what I want from a coffee company. Not reasonably priced good tasting coffee, but unicorn fraps and tone deaf mission statements.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
McDonalds coffee. Cheaper. Better. Faster. No libtarded asshattery.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
HOWARD SCHULTZ: 'I have significant concerns about the direction of the country'
Yeah, you sell paper cups full of hot bean water for outlandish prices. Your existence is irrelevant.

Meanwhile, back in Reality...

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
These dumbshit CEOs, be it from Charbucks, Target, Kelloggs, whatever, simply can't get it through their thick heads that publically embracing libtard causes will loose them megabucks.

I think they understand

I think they don't care as they're still going to get their paycheck

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I had read a few months ago he was thinking about running for president in 2020, sounds like it now.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post